2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Standard speakers upgraded to OEM Top Hifi (retrofit)

05-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #111
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
Hi !
I have standard speakers - is it safe and ok to just add the tweeters in the front and rear or should i really add an amp?

you should be fine adding the tweeters without the amp however i'm not sure if you need a connector to wire them together?

if adding an amp is required/better/safer - what is the extent of the wiring for the amp? is it difficult? (i have retrofitted a reversing camera so not new to wiring on my f10)

like i posted in the other thread you made if you decided to go with the Bimmertech amp it's all plug and play. there's a youtube video on it...i'll find the link as a forum member here already posted a thread on the install

do i have to add the under seat subwoofers? bass isn't my end-goal - just clearer sound for my spoken-word podcasts

upgrading the underseat woofers say the Bav Ghost Subs will complete your component system

here's a forum buddy of mine with his review on his Bimmertech amp:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243328

here's the link that Nelson posted regarding the Bimmertech amp if you're interested in purchasing:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254057

here's a pretty good review on the underseat woofers from BavSound:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1208518

here's a thread about more audio stuff just to browse and learn more about what you can do
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1172730
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-14-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #112
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I swapped out my base speakers for BMW HK speakers around about 18 months ago and I've had no issues.

You cannot simply add tweeters you need to replace the mid and then add a tweeter.
Reason being the original wiring plugs into the mid and there is another wire than plugs into the mid that runs to the tweeter.

There is no ability to plug a tweeter into the original "base" mid.
Apologies I would have posted a pic but I am away from home for the next couple of weeks.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #113
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Yolo

When you installed your HK subs, can you confirm the original base wiring will plug straight into the HK subs.
Or alternatively the that pins on the subs are in the same position on a base and a HK sub.

As I not follow what you mean by bridging as you have not added an amplifier and run separate cables to the subwoofers, hence I'm not sure you need to bridget (jumper) the original wiring so it points to the mid range and tweeter only.

Thanks

gtthree
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #114
aplinhares
Rep
Drives: F10

basically only switch from base to premium speakers? As you don't have an amplifier? :/
and it sound that better ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #115
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplinhares View Post
basically only switch from base to premium speakers? As you don't have an amplifier? :/
and it sound that better ?
Yes it did sound better as the european base stereo has no tweeters.
The addition of tweeters raises the voice within the cabin.
It is good cheap upgrade for someone with the european base stereo.

I have now installed a full Eton system (subs, woofers and tweeters) and coupled with the Eton DSP CAN8 there is a vast improvement over merely swapping out the base speakers to HK.
The cost of the Eton system was significantly more than second hand HK speakers.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #116
bluehandle
Rep
Drives: 520

Recently done this

Hi all,

I've just partially completed this. This thread started some years ago, and now the HK speakers are much more accessible and cheaper.

I had the base system originally and replaced the rear speakers on the shelf, the 2 front door speakers and added tweeters. I didn't install an amp.

It's much improved clarity at higher volumes, but the base is lacking somewhat, so I am now considering maybe changing the woofers too.

All in all it took a couple of hours - rear shelf is easy. Getting the door cards back on was the time consuming bit - but the second side is easier of course.
Appreciate 0