2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum 16 weeks delivery

02-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Mole10r
Rep
Drives: GT M-sport (white ) 20" alloys

16 weeks delivery

Ordered my Gt 14 weeks ago , so it will be 16 weeks when its due .
I have just been told by my dealer that it may not be here for march the 1st ( new reg day in the UK )
I'm not happy at all , i know it doesnt matter to some , but its a rare and exciting time for me and had my heart set on getting it on this date ( my dealer knew this )
Do you think i'm right in expecting my car to be there when i have given them so long ?
I was never once told it may not be here on time .
Cheers , Mole
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

There can be a big gap between when the vehicle is ordered and when it actually gets assigned a VIN and a production date. Some of that is dependent on the dealer, and then the rest is up to BMW and the factory. If there were any production halts or holds based on discovered problems, nobody, including the factory, the dealer, nor you want to take delivery with a product that has a known bug or defect, whether it is hardware or software. So, the whole process can get delayed.

While I understand your frustration, I can understand the reality of the manufacturing of a complex device. It doesn't always go according to plan.

the dealer can get the status and tell you the history of when it was assigned a VIN, and when it was scheduled to be in production. Then, the weather can have an effect on shipping times.

Delivery times are an estimate and average, not necessarily what a specific vehicle may require to be built. Some of that will depend on how many of any particular vehicle type that can be made and how many were delivered. They are put into production in the order in which they are received, but if, for example, you can only produce 50 M-series models a week, and you have a 500 backlog at the time of your order, guess what, it will take longer. No idea of the specifics in your case...see if your dealer can sort it out for you.

Sometimes, there may be a vehicle being built earlier that could be swapped for 'yours', but the options may not be perfect match if time is that critical. Otherwise, you wait. Depends on whether it was ordered for a 'person' or a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
Gt I got took 8 weeks from order to the UK.
Yours sounds a long time mate.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

How long has the M version of the GT been available? While announced earlier, they may not have actually started to make them for a bit and are now just starting to fill the pipeline. that can be a problem when buying a new(er) configuration verses one that's been around for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
MartinNT
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 530d GT M SPORT

As I understand, if you have chosen options that are rather rare for the market, this might delay delivery. Also, I have been told by BMW UK that some parts are on back order since tsunami in Japan! (long time), which for example makes a waiting list for x3 stretched to 16 months!
If you would like to get your car sooner, might be an option to settle for what is available in UK, that's what I have done, and got the car within 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
I odered a white 530d Msport start of November picked it up 16th Dec.
I specd mine up a fair bit.
Supprised it came so quick to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Models that have been around for awhile are fairly easy...the M model is quite new, and thus subject to lots more potential supply, demand and thus delivery issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole10r View Post
Ordered my Gt 14 weeks ago , so it will be 16 weeks when its due .
I have just been told by my dealer that it may not be here for march the 1st ( new reg day in the UK )
I'm not happy at all , i know it doesnt matter to some , but its a rare and exciting time for me and had my heart set on getting it on this date ( my dealer knew this )
Do you think i'm right in expecting my car to be there when i have given them so long ?
I was never once told it may not be here on time .
Cheers , Mole
If the car is close to making it for March 1st and gets to the UK by 27th/28th February you can put pressure on dealer to get it through the facility at Thorne quickly. I had an e60 on the launch day that arrived at Thorne a couple of days before UK launch and the dealer had BMW do the PDI at Thorne and deliver it to dealer on the launch day. Dealer received it at 1pm then just had to wash and polish it and do final checks, it was delivered to my office at 2.30pm
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0