2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F11 2011 535d Touring Suspension Overhaul

03-16-2024, 01:17 PM   #1
cjheywood13
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535d Touring

F11 2011 535d Touring Suspension Overhaul

Advice needed please from fellow UK owners and our terrible roads. Ive had the car for 6 months and it has done 118k now. I came from an A6 Avant BiTDI with 155k which had brilliant suspension and I did 80k in it, never replacing a part, so assume all original. Currently BMW is a bit of a let down.

The 535d is terrible and bounces and floats, with lots of knocks from front end and a sagging back end some day.

I have begun the expensive job of changing parts, and fitted a good quality Meyle HD front arms and wishbone kit. This has helped a little, but still feels like much more needed.

I plan on fitting some Koni Special Active dampers (formerly FSD). I was going to just go o/e but wanted to have improved dynamics without sacrificing daily abilities as it is a family car, so these seem to be good.

Now, questions are:

*Does anyone have experience of these
*What alternatives are there
*Do I keep standard springs, or what would you advise (dont want to go much lower)
*What other parts would you change (top mounts, bump stops etc)

Many thanks. Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 06:31 AM   #2
dennis3258
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D

Garage List
When I bought my F10 520d last September, it felt like a cruise ship in a light storm, it bounced and floated sort of, lol.
My mechanic found out one front and one rear coil spring was broken, so logical that the roadhandling was different from how BMW would like to have it.
I bought for a bargain the Vogtland 30mm Club Lowering Suspension Kit.
The difference is massive.
I absolutely enjoy driving the car, it looks better with about an inch lower but an absolutely comfortable drive.
My time of lower and rock hard drives are long gone, I am 66, lol.
anyway, I can advise this for anyone basically.
The car is very responsive, have steering feeling and feeling of the road as such but not uncomfortable at all.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/vogt...kit-vog960379/
Appreciate 0