2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Tyre Inner shoulder wear

08-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE ED

Tyre Inner shoulder wear

Hi all,

the rear tyres on my 2013 520d were approaching their wear limits, and the nearside rear was showing some wear on the outside shoulder. However, while checking the tyre size before phoning the tyre centre, I found that the inside edge was worn down to the canvas. The N/S rear looks even. During the service 3 months ago (at approx 55k, now on 61k) the technician noted that the rears had 4mm centre, and 3.5mm on the edges. Is this a regular issue with the F10? Can I assume that the alignment is out? Is alignment a dealer job or can my local tyre chain do it reliably? Booked in for 4pm for 2 new P7 RFs.

Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

My observation with rear tyres, once we get down to less than half the tread depth, we have to be more vigilant to wear rates and odd wear patterns.

Inner shoulder wear is common, particularly on M-sport suspensions and accelerates the inner wear rate towards the end of tyre life. This applies even with good alignment.

If the outer shoulder is showing wear and the inner shoulder is wearing off even faster, that can be due to low tyre pressure. The inner and outer wear confuse the current state of alignment. Certainly worth having it checked, both toe and camber can contribute to excessive inner wear.

You don't require BMW to check it, a good operator with a Hunter rig can perform a decent 4-wheel calibration.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
My observation with rear tyres, once we get down to less than half the tread depth, we have to be more vigilant to wear rates and odd wear patterns.

Inner shoulder wear is common, particularly on M-sport suspensions and accelerates the inner wear rate towards the end of tyre life. This applies even with good alignment.

If the outer shoulder is showing wear and the inner shoulder is wearing off even faster, that can be due to low tyre pressure. The inner and outer wear confuse the current state of alignment. Certainly worth having it checked, both toe and camber can contribute to excessive inner wear.

You don't require BMW to check it, a good operator with a Hunter rig can perform a decent 4-wheel calibration.
Thanks Pete. I used to check the tyre pressures in my jag every time I filled with diesel, but hadn't checked the car in a while. The fitter commented immediately that the pressure was far too low. Thankfully the tyres were at their limit regardless. The rear tracking was spot on but the front was away out. According to the manager, who is an ex BMW tech, having the front out can ruin the rear?? Anyhow it's all tracked up now and wearing new P7s on the rear at €170 each. Must put my tyre gauge back in the door pocket, lesson learned!
Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcsweeney View Post
Thanks Pete. I used to check the tyre pressures in my jag every time I filled with diesel, but hadn't checked the car in a while. The fitter commented immediately that the pressure was far too low. Thankfully the tyres were at their limit regardless. The rear tracking was spot on but the front was away out. According to the manager, who is an ex BMW tech, having the front out can ruin the rear?? Anyhow it's all tracked up now and wearing new P7s on the rear at €170 each. Must put my tyre gauge back in the door pocket, lesson learned!
Thanks,
Dave
Glad you have it sorted.

Front errors can mess with rear wear, more often it is the rear causing front wear issues, as the car may not be driving straight.

It is important to know the rear is correct before adjusting the front, hence why a 4-wheel alignment is essential.

Just take note of how straight the car now drives, don't want any steering pull or drift 'built in' due to a realignment.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks again Pete. All seems fine at the moment.
Appreciate 0