2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Bmw Lemon Question

10-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
EZduzit123
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Bmw Lemon Question

Hey guys Im writing this thread on regards to a lemon, i believe my current car 2013 bmw 528i is a lemon because the dealership can't seem to find the solution to why my car looses coolant non stop. They informed me how to keep an eye out on my coolant tank once a month and just to top it off when it seems low. Now i know for a 2 year old car with 27k miles that shouldn't seem right.

Im wondering if anyone has lemoned their bmw before and what the best first step towards it would be. I live in CA, i have 7 service records in regards to steering wheel malfunctions, malfunction rear brakes and over heating and 3 of which was lack of coolant.

Before i contact a lemon attorney, some said its better to speak with the Gm of BMW. If so do you guys have a good idea on how to contact or i heard i should write a letter. Any specifics or wording i should add in the letter?

THANK YOU
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The CA lemon law covers new car for 18 months, you may not qualify. However, if the coolant problem was diagnose before 18 months and you have the proper paperwork, then you need to talk to a lemon law lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'd absolutely speak to BMW NA first. If your experience is well out of the norm (sounds like it may be), they may offer to do something for you, especially if you've been a good customer (multi-car owner). In some other cases, BMW has done buy-backs or just helped customers move out of the car and into another equivalent with no financial impact. I think the key to success here is approaching them politely, positively, and without threatening a lemon. I'd let them know that you've attempted to be patient, seek out solutions with your dealer, and you've now reached the end of your rope and would like some assistance with a solution.

I'd also be prepared to know exactly what you'd like them to do. In several cases, people here have reported that BMW posed the question - if you don't have an answer, you're unlikely to get a satisfactory response. If you want them to buy back the car, let them know. Maybe get you into a new '15 model at the same deal as well? In many cases, people have also reporting having better luck when they've shown that they're willing to be loyal (getting into a new/equivalent car) and not just looking to cut bait - it sends the message that they still have a customer relationship to salvage and it's not too far gone.

But whatever you do, I wouldn't go into a conversation with guns drawn and threatening legal action. I don't think you'll get very far. I think you'll likely get stone-walled since you're now a potentially hostile adversary (or soon to be in court) rather than a customer looking for a solution. For similar reasons, I wouldn't engage a lawyer at this stage - they'll gladly take your money and it may be completely unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
sk0525
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I'd absolutely speak to BMW NA first. If your experience is well out of the norm (sounds like it may be), they may offer to do something for you, especially if you've been a good customer (multi-car owner). In some other cases, BMW has done buy-backs or just helped customers move out of the car and into another equivalent with no financial impact. I think the key to success here is approaching them politely, positively, and without threatening a lemon. I'd let them know that you've attempted to be patient, seek out solutions with your dealer, and you've now reached the end of your rope and would like some assistance with a solution.

I'd also be prepared to know exactly what you'd like them to do. In several cases, people here have reported that BMW posed the question - if you don't have an answer, you're unlikely to get a satisfactory response. If you want them to buy back the car, let them know. Maybe get you into a new '15 model at the same deal as well? In many cases, people have also reporting having better luck when they've shown that they're willing to be loyal (getting into a new/equivalent car) and not just looking to cut bait - it sends the message that they still have a customer relationship to salvage and it's not too far gone.

But whatever you do, I wouldn't go into a conversation with guns drawn and threatening legal action. I don't think you'll get very far. I think you'll likely get stone-walled since you're now a potentially hostile adversary (or soon to be in court) rather than a customer looking for a solution. For similar reasons, I wouldn't engage a lawyer at this stage - they'll gladly take your money and it may be completely unnecessary.
Good advice here until the end. I definitely wouldn't threaten legal action but it's best to know all your options up front. If you can't file a Lemon law claim, its best to know that. I would recommend contacting a Lemon law attorney regarding their rates and who pays. I believe CA law mandates that the manufacturer pay for attorney's fees in a successful claim.
      10-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
I know very well i will sound like an idiot but what is a Lemon Law and a Lemon Lawyer?! I am reaaaaaaally confused with this
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah
I know very well i will sound like an idiot but what is a Lemon Law and a Lemon Lawyer?! I am reaaaaaaally confused with this
It's a USA specific consumer law that gives the customer the right to have the manufacturer/seller buy the faulty product back. A lemon lawyer is simply a lawyer specialicing in lemon cases.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
EZduzit123
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk0525 View Post
Good advice here until the end. I definitely wouldn't threaten legal action but it's best to know all your options up front. If you can't file a Lemon law claim, its best to know that. I would recommend contacting a Lemon law attorney regarding their rates and who pays. I believe CA law mandates that the manufacturer pay for attorney's fees in a successful claim.
thanks guys!

on another note, they gave me my car back after the recent dealer visit for the coolant, they said no leaks were found but this morning as i was driving my drivetrain gave fault and i towed the car back to the dealership. I informed them when i come to see the results id like to speak with the service manager because its kind of ridiculous how i can't trust this car to take me to a destination id like.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
weissja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

The lemon law in California covers your car at least during the 4 year warranty period. Do yourself a favor and just call attorney Norman Taylor in Glendale, CA. The OEMs pay the attorney; you don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass

This is excellent advice.

Also, I know of no other company that will easily buy back your car if you have a legitimate issue.

Once a car is tagged a lemon, it suddenly plummets in value. In general, bmw won't let you get that far.

There are dogs, thieves, thieving dogs, scumbags, whores, and scumbag whores. But, the only thing worse than a scumbag whore on the scale here is a lemon law attorney. (I mean no disrespect to lemon law attorneys.) Once you go down that path, they are just as relentless with you as the plaintiff as they are against the defense. You may win your case, but your relationship with bmw will be forever ruined.

It's not worth it---usually.

Bmw will work with you, but you need to work with bmw:

1. Document everything
2. Do not exaggerate
3. Be reasonable
4. Be patient
5. Do not threaten---no need to threaten because the law is on your side here.
6. Do not complain or discuss details on the forums.
7. Follow each and every proscribed remedy made by your tech---document, document, document. Did I say document?

Bmw will make you whole. You definitely do not need an attorney---at first. (So long as no one was injured and insurance not involved) If you really feel you need an attorney then that usually means the dealer is at is the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #10
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZduzit123 View Post
Hey guys Im writing this thread on regards to a lemon, i believe my current car 2013 bmw 528i is a lemon because the dealership can't seem to find the solution to why my car looses coolant non stop. They informed me how to keep an eye out on my coolant tank once a month and just to top it off when it seems low. Now i know for a 2 year old car with 27k miles that shouldn't seem right.

Im wondering if anyone has lemoned their bmw before and what the best first step towards it would be. I live in CA, i have 7 service records in regards to steering wheel malfunctions, malfunction rear brakes and over heating and 3 of which was lack of coolant.

Before i contact a lemon attorney, some said its better to speak with the Gm of BMW. If so do you guys have a good idea on how to contact or i heard i should write a letter. Any specifics or wording i should add in the letter?

THANK YOU
I also purchase a car that had lemon buy back, repair and sold to auction. In my case, the fuel injector have issues. But as far as I know, the Lemon Law ONLY within 2 yrs of owning the car, and you're the original owner of the vehicle. I could be wrong but I went to the dealer today, and that's what the BMW rep. told me.