2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 4-zone Climate control retrofit

12-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
MPowerph
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335D

4-zone Climate control retrofit

Hi everyone. I bought my 2012 535D 1,5 months ago, and I am very happy with it. Awesome car, good spec too. There is one thing, what makes me the feeling, is something missing. It has a upgraded 2 zone climate, so I only get cold air from the rear air vents, even if the outside temperature is low. This is annoying because if I have passengers at the rear, they always complains due they are cold. So because of this, I try to find solution, and I would like to do some modification, as a 4 zone climate retrofit. Have anybody ever done this before? I saw, need a couple of things, like a rear panel, blower, air duct, maybe the front air vents as well, because there is an additional ’warm-cold’ switch for the passengers. I know, the car with the 4 zone c. has an air vents on the B-pillar too, but I think, it is not necessary for the proper operation. I do not know the wires, how does it look like under the centre compartment.
I already found a rear climate panel, and I purchased it. I do not want to buy the rest of the item until I know what I will need exactly. And also, I will need somebody, how can do this retrofit job, because I am not a good handyman, and after the installation it needs to be coded.

I live in Warrington, so if you know somebody, Who can do a job like this, I would be happy to send me the details.

The other thing is, I have perforated leather seats, due the front ones has the active ventilation features, and I found on the internet, the heating elements already installed into the rear seats, just there is now wires and switches to activate them. The panel, what I bought has two buttons for the seat heating, so may it will work after the wiring?!

Thanks!

Last edited by MPowerph; 12-11-2016 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Sailorbaz
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 & 2004 M3 CSL

I too was under the impression that only cold air come out the rear vents however, last time home I noticed that I did indeed get warm air one of the vents at least, the N/S one if I remember correctly.

Good luck with the retrofit though, I'll be following it with interest.

2004 M3 CSL with Supersprint and 2013 F10 520d
Worldwide M3 CSL Register based in the UK
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

What's all the more annoying is that the E39 had hot/cold controls on the rear vent as standard!
      01-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
bigshout
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I get warm and cold air from my rear vents, the 4 zone upgrade isn't an option, the fans and fan modules also need to be replaced and I beleive these sit within the dash, it's not a simple case of swapping over the vent plate it's self.

You will have more luck retro fitting rear heated seats. It was quite a common option in the UK so finding a second hand bench and control buttons shouldn't be too hard. try a few breakers.
Appreciate 0