2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Navigation Guidance Sound

10-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Navigation Guidance Sound

Hi

I have hard time hearing the Navigation Guidance when the music is playing. I have always thought the music would stop when there is a sound guidance.

anyway, is there a way to increase the sound level? Please don't say turn up the volume. Because that will also turn up the volume of the music, too.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Mine does it. Too lazy to look in the manual for you but I'm sure it's somewhere in settings.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

Turn up the volume ... WHILE the guidance voice is saying something, that's the point!

Not sure if setting that guidance voice volume also works while music is playing, so better try it with the audio system muted.
      11-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
Turn up the volume ... WHILE the guidance voice is saying something, that's the point!

Not sure if setting that guidance voice volume also works while music is playing, so better try it with the audio system muted.
I did mention that it doesn't work. Because turning up the volume also turn the music much louder, so I still can't hear the guidance and the music gets incredibly loud.

My phone Navigation will mute the music when the guidance voice is giving direction. But BMW navi doens't do that. So can we at least adjust the guidance voice without adjust the volume of the music? Someone, please help. 96 views and no one has answers to this??

Last edited by yxc145; 11-01-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

My cars with NAV including the F10 mute the front speakers when giving guidance. As others said, turning up the volume while giving guidance should do it. Doing so does NOT turn up the music volume for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
I did mention that it doesn't work. Because turning up the volume also turn the music much louder, so I still can't hear the guidance and the music gets incredibly loud.

My phone Navigation will mute the music when the guidance voice is giving direction. But BMW navi doens't do that. So can we at least adjust the guidance voice without adjust the volume of the music? Someone, please help. 96 views and no one has answers to this??
well you're doing it wrong, because that's how you do it. make sure you're turning the volume up when guidance plays.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
My cars with NAV including the F10 mute the front speakers when giving guidance. As others said, turning up the volume while giving guidance should do it. Doing so does NOT turn up the music volume for me.
Is that the only way?? If that is, then this is very poor design on BMW's part.
1. You don't know when the guidance is going to "say" something. It may be only a short reaction time, but you may have missed something.
2. You have to Mute Music-- Turn up the volume, Turn down the volume, Unmute music. That's just bad. What if someone forget to turn down the volume before unmuting, and the music is booming loud and totally surprise the driver and cause an accident? Very bad design.......

ok, Where is the Mute bottom? Is it just the bottom on the radio? or it is on the steering wheel somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losco View Post
well you're doing it wrong, because that's how you do it. make sure you're turning the volume up when guidance plays.
Sorry Sir. Like I said. turning up the guidance also turns up the music, even only when the guidance is playing.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Mr. Grumpy
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Try this, pause the music yourself, then go to the Nav menu and mute the guidance, then un-mute it. As soon as you un-mute it the system will give you a guidance, at this time turn your volume knob to raise the volume of your nav guidance while the system is speaking.

Sorry for any tipos.
      11-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

Quote:
Sorry Sir. Like I said. turning up the guidance also turns up the music, even only when the guidance is playing.
just remembered there's another surefire way. go into service menu under settings by holding up for 10 sec, 3 click right, 3 click left, 1 right 1 left 1 right and center click. scroll to bottom in settings and in there you'll find nav menu, and there you can test guidance voice, and when you change volume while guidance voice is constantly playing. if you are not sure about going into service mode, google it and you'll find lots of info.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
rosspat75
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 521i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy View Post
Try this, pause the music yourself, then go to the Nav menu and mute the guidance, then un-mute it. As soon as you un-mute it the system will give you a guidance, at this time turn your volume knob to raise the volume of your nav guidance while the system is speaking.

Sorry for any tipos.
Tested this out....it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
darkknightndc
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535I

Yeah but for me, that still is a problem with the system... The older system automatically muted the sound system when a direction was being given... Now I have to turn it up loud enough so that it can be heard above the music... And I do like to pump my tunes from time to time... especially with the sunroof open... I think they need to revert back to muting...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #13
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Is that the only way?? If that is, then this is very poor design on BMW's part.
1. You don't know when the guidance is going to "say" something. It may be only a short reaction time, but you may have missed something.
2. You have to Mute Music-- Turn up the volume, Turn down the volume, Unmute music. That's just bad. What if someone forget to turn down the volume before unmuting, and the music is booming loud and totally surprise the driver and cause an accident? Very bad design.......

ok, Where is the Mute bottom? Is it just the bottom on the radio? or it is on the steering wheel somewhere?
It's not poor design, it is very intuitive design. Just change the volume when the "lady" is talking! That's it. And you don't have to do the steps you mention in no. 2. Just increase/decrease volume while the navigation voice is talking and this does not affect the music volume. I do agree that you have to react fast sometimes, but hey… this is a BMW! Fast is the word!

Appreciate 0