2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Vanos and Valvetronic system codes

04-05-2024, 10:37 PM   #1
Sam_hn
Rep
Drives: F10

Vanos and Valvetronic system codes

Hey guys, I hope you’re all doing well.

I'm facing an issue with my N20 528i 14 (178k miles). I’ve been hearing some rattle noise coming from the engine recently, but no issues.

Just two days ago, while driving smoothly, the drivetrain light popped out, and there was no boost at all. The gas paddle was not responding. Anyway, I checked on Bimmerlink for the codes and found the following:

VANOS, outlet: control error, position not reached
Boost pressure control: shutdown as a follow-up reaction
133B04
Valvetronic system: no adjustment possible
133E10
Valvetronic system: deactivated, too frequent adjustment errors

[At the first time I had this issue, the last two codes weren’t there.].

Lastly, I noticed that there’s some oil leak coming from the Vanos actuator. I don't know if this has anything to do with the error codes, I'm planning to change them anyway since it’s an easy process, though I'm not sure if it’s going to solve the issue permanently.

Any advises guys ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:50 PM   #2
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Replace them and clean up the area and your connection(s) in the engine bay then go from there. Make sure you put in a good quality oil and change your oil frequently. Any history of the solenoids being replaced before?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 10:37 PM   #3
Sam_hn
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiltiCoatl89 View Post
Replace them and clean up the area and your connection(s) in the engine bay then go from there. Make sure you put in a good quality oil and change your oil frequently. Any history of the solenoids being replaced before?
Thanks for your response, always using bmw genuine oil and changing it on time , nope never replaced any of the Vanos system parts.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 01:45 PM   #4
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
They lasted you a good while, FCP Euro on Youtube just released a very informal video on replacing the Valvetronic system, should be very useful in understanding how the N20 engine works. Use OE or Geniune BMW parts and take your time on the install and please let us know if something comes up!
Appreciate 0