2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Failed emissions?! 2010 550i GT

06-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
GTurismo
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 550i Gran Turismo

Failed emissions?! 2010 550i GT

So new car just turned 7k miles and of today it can't pass smog in TN!!! WTF the dealer says nothing is wrong with the car. So any suggestions? Bone stock never wrenched on, no stories... HELP
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTurismo View Post
So new car just turned 7k miles and of today it can't pass smog in TN!!! WTF the dealer says nothing is wrong with the car. So any suggestions? Bone stock never wrenched on, no stories... HELP
Did you drive to an inspection place 5 miles from your house? Could be you went into the smog test with a cold engine. It takes a car 20-30 mins to heat up properly, which is why BMW gives us an oil temp not a coolant temp gauge?
      06-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

I am pretty sure there is an agreement that BMW must do whatever it takes to ensure your car passes any state or federal emissions test during its first year.

Next, many local emissions tests are not done by sampling the exhaust gasses. Rather, your vehicle has sophisticated equipment built into the vehicle itself. Thus, computer records are automatically generated inside your vehicle that track your emissions in near real-time.

This means that the shop does not put your car on a dyno and hook up a tester to your tail pipe. Instead, a simple download of your car's emissions data are placed into the appropriate analyzer.

So, there are few things that can screw this process up. For example, anything that causes your check engine light to go on will wreck your emissions data for about three days and a download during this time will likely produce invalid results and your test will fail.

At this point, I would tell your dealer that BMW has full responsibility under the new vehicle emissions warranty to ensure this car passes the test. Then, politely ask your dealer what he plans to do to correct the deficiency.

Finally, make no attempt to have any non BMW shop effectuate repairs. Follow the instructions found in your emissions warranty booklet. Put together a letter in writing and call the BMW customer service center. I promise you that BMW will be sure to take this issue more seriously than your dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTurismo View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

IIRC there's a Federal law that grants an emissions warranty that's at least as long as the typical drivetrain warranty.Demand that a dealer honor this warranty.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

More likely test was done wrong or the engine was too cold for the test