2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New 535xi Msport with Window and Engine Problems

06-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Dulles530
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

New 535xi Msport with Window and Engine Problems

I've only had my new 535xi Msport a week and already gremlins.. here's whats happening:

1). Suddenly my dash and HUD are now warning me about both front power windows, saying the "power window anti-trap feature has been deactivated". So in order to put the driver's window down I have to lower it in tiny 1" increments. The other night the driver's window was frozen up, and the passengers frozen down - neither responded to any controls.

2). Approximately 500 miles on the car now as repeatedly getting the message "maximum drivetrain output not available, take your car to be checked at the service center". I haven't been red lining the tachometer/engine - only driving the local roads doing speeds which should be well under "break in" period..

Has anyone else had these problems? After owning an original early F10 with the pulling and grinding (now sold), i'm a bit miffed to see problems creeping up already with the new replacement car..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
lodewijkV
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Snowwhite

Wow mate, it looks like you haven't got any luck with your F10's -((..
For me it's the first time that I hear from these problems.

It's probably an elektrical problem and sometimes just an update of the car's software can solve the problem, but you never know.

I did have a similar issue with my previuous 5-series (E60 touring), I'm talking about the engine problem.
With me it would just put itself in "emergeny mode" so you could only drive at 20mph max.
Because the car was stil in the warranty periode, BMW had to change the wole computer system. (It took a few monts tough before they wanted to do that)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
78mao
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F10, F13, current->F80, F15 X5

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [1.00]
i have the window problem as well, it comes on here and there.
i had to replace some module once since the windows wouldnt close, once it hit the top it rolls back down so i had to do it manually to as close as possible.
after i got it fixed, the dealership said it was because of my window tint and told me if it happens again theyre gonna charge me.

i recently started getting teh anti trap function as well it happened couple times in one week, btu recently it went away. i have came to realize that just dont double tap the buttons too quick or pulling the tabs up too quick can prevent that code to come on. so far i havent had that light come on for 2 3 weeks now.

hope this helps.
      06-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

As for your second issue, the car may still be in "Transportation mode" They put the car in this mode for transportation, and sometimes forget to take it out of this mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

1) Could be just the anti-trap function needs to be re-initialized. Open 1 window at a time all the way down and when its down keep pressing the window control switch down for 20 or more seconds. Then roll the window all the way up and when its up keep pulling the switch up for 20sec or more.

This teaches the window the full up and down locations and that window should now work properly.

Repeat on the other windows

2) Owners with low battery charges have reported this. Maybe it stood too long at the dealer and got discharged or you have only made short trips ?

You can either go for a long drive, have the dealer charge the battery or get a good digital charger like a CTEK 7002

If the problem persists take it back to the dealer

3) The reason the windows need re-initialising could mean the battery went flat at the dealer at some stage and they just did a quick recharge and didn't re-initialize the windows and now the engine sensors arnt getting the voltage they need from the relatively flat battery.

So both problems may be related
      06-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Yeah, sounds like electrical issuses. Make sure it's fully charged, make sure it's out of transport mode, and have them re-load the software if needed so that everything is up and running.

I had an issue with my car with several sensors being "out of calibration" which caused several systems to not work. They ended up re-loading the entire software suite.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78mao View Post
i have the window problem as well, it comes on here and there.
i had to replace some module once since the windows wouldnt close, once it hit the top it rolls back down so i had to do it manually to as close as possible.
after i got it fixed, the dealership said it was because of my window tint and told me if it happens again theyre gonna charge me.
I don't think so..
In South East Asia (Indonesia), any authorized BMW dealer gives free tint to every car they sold, installed by their many different suppliers. Same thing goes to every other brand. And I'm sure the free BMW tint doesn't come with that 'Hot Climate Option Code'
Appreciate 0