2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Reflections from dash in windscreen

06-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

Reflections from dash in windscreen

So this is what Iīm forced to look through when facing the sun. Extremely annoying and not acceptable in "luxury" car. Dealers initial response was the standard BMW crap like "as designed" and "they all do that", as if that solves the problem.
Now to the (somewhat) interesting part. My car is a March 2011 build and my friend has a October 2010 build with pretty much zero reflections in the windscreen until now when his windscreen was replaced after getting a nasty stone chip causing the windscreen to crack. He now has the same awful reflections in the windscreen and is now as pissed off as me.
We both have the standard windscreen, no HUD, no "climate comfort windscreen." My theory is that from March production when the new HUD was introduced, BMW added some kind of metal layer to the glass so that the HUD graphics would project nicely onto the windscreen... Iīm guessing that if I would have ordered the climate comfort windscreen (canīt be ordered with HUD) I wouldnīt have the awful reflections. Can anybody confirm this or have any other input? Thanks in advance guys!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
BimmerUKF10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

Nope! Mine is a November 2010 build and I get the reflections. Doesn't bother me too much, but then again the sun in the UK shines for about 4 hours per year...

There are numerous historical threads on this topic if you look for them. Interesting that you friend did not have the problem prior to having his windscreen replaced. Presumably a different brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
windscreen." My theory is that from March production when the new HUD was introduced, BMW added some kind of metal layer to the glass so that the HUD graphics would project nicely onto the windscreen.

No. They all do this at certain angles of daylight, you get used to it and just ignore it.
      06-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Mine is April 2010 build, no HUD, and I get the same reflection. Polarized sunglasses are the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
GordonGecko
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i SE Auto (E39)

They all do that: it is the sunshine pack and comes as standard on all new 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Often happens if the dealer or someone uses a shiny cleaning product on the dash.

If there is something on there, try lukewarm plain water to clean the dash ad see if it improves
      06-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
They all do that: it is the sunshine pack and comes as standard on all new 5 series.
Hahahaha!! So if I added the "Visibility Pack" would that give me a windscreen I can see through?

So those with Climate Comfort Windscreen have the same reflections?
Is there a PUMA for these issues? Iīm taking it in to the dealer soon but would appreciate all the info I can get beforehand, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Often happens if the dealer or someone uses a shiny cleaning product on the dash.

If there is something on there, try lukewarm plain water to clean the dash ad see if it improves
Really? Hmm maybe I should give that a go, has anyone on here tried this?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
so you pretty much need to get the "Hot Climate Option" code, it comes with special DIY windows tint film to reduce the glare
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
Quote:
Forget it, really. The only option to remove that reflection, filled in the area and reupholster with some leather... now we are talking 'luxury'.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Just try a clean cloth slightly wet with lukewarm water and see if it takes anything shiny off. It cant hurt the dash only clean it

I never let my dealer clean my cars because they always spary a dash cleaner on that is really shiny and creates or makes much worse the problem you showed
      06-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
Autojack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M-Sport

Dash reflections on windshield

Getting back to the original post topic ...

The windshield reflection of the top of the dashboard seems to occur with lower driver seat positions. If you raise your seated driving position and get your eye level well above the top of the steering wheel, there seems to be minimal or no reflections.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autojack View Post
Getting back to the original post topic ...

The windshield reflection of the top of the dashboard seems to occur with lower driver seat positions. If you raise your seated driving position and get your eye level well above the top of the steering wheel, there seems to be minimal or no reflections.
also, HUD is much worse, the metal from the projector is more irritating when the light hits it than the reflections. honestly, its normal and all cars have it. the e46 330i i had, had a two tone great black dash that was MUCH more annoying than this reflection.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

Mine is July 2010 but I don't see this sort of strong reflection.

My be because I wear glasses at all times, but I do not know if my glasses are polarised
      06-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

I would not let the dealer try to "solve" the issue - it is what it is and you have to live with it. Setting the seat higher as someone suggested may work but then you cannot see the instrument cluster.

I use this stuff on my photography and it does not reflect anything:

http://www.photographicbackdrop.com/...ckgrounds.aspx

You could have a custom piece made for your dash, but use it only after you have tried to get used to the reflections and cannot stand it anymore. Polarized sunglasses work great too but if you have the HUD like I do then you have to move your head a bit to the left or the right to barely see the HUD display with polarized lenses - it's annoying, but it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #16
wang133ro
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d F10

I've been lucky enough: my polarizing sunglasses work with the HUD and the LCDs.

But even without glasses, the reflection doesn't seem that bad to me. I've only had a single sunny day since I've got the car though
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
Glock 32
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I think the pic in the original pic is a gross exageration based on camera position, etc.

Yes there is a VERY FAINT reflection at the bottom of the screen that I never even notice, but, come on, the pic looks like you can't even see through the reflection and it is all the way near the top of the windsscreen (also seems to be reflecting the leather seats, and other unknown stuff in the car, etc.)

Nice trick photography to capture the issue and get the point across, but definately nowhere near as bad as that pic and camera position makes out (unless, maybe, one chews on the steering wheel or rests their chin on top of the steering wheel when they drive).

No way it is that bad and if it is, definately complain.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 32 View Post
I think the pic in the original pic is a gross exageration based on camera position, etc.

Yes there is a VERY FAINT reflection at the bottom of the screen that I never even notice, but, come on, the pic looks like you can't even see through the reflection and it is all the way near the top of the windsscreen (also seems to be reflecting the leather seats, and other unknown stuff in the car, etc.)

Nice trick photography to capture the issue and get the point across, but definately nowhere near as bad as that pic and camera position makes out (unless, maybe, one chews on the steering wheel or rests their chin on top of the steering wheel when they drive).

No way it is that bad and if it is, definately complain.
"Nice trick photography"!? Are you insane? Itīs photo I took with my iPhone which captures how bad it is IN MY CAR. If you read the text again, you will see that I stated that my friend who has an early build F10 had a very faint reflection (before he got his windscreen replaced) much like yours I imagine. The reflection is really bad in mine, thatīs why Iīm getting my knickers in a twist about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
Glock 32
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
"Nice trick photography"!? Are you insane? Itīs photo I took with my iPhone which captures how bad it is IN MY CAR. If you read the text again, you will see that I stated that my friend who has an early build F10 had a very faint reflection (before he got his windscreen replaced) much like yours I imagine. The reflection is really bad in mine, thatīs why Iīm getting my knickers in a twist about it.
Perhaps a bad choice or arrangment of words. Just saying and/or perhaps better stated as:

I would imagine it is "tricky" to snag a picture of the reflection in the first place and "nice photography" doing so. It also looked like in doing so it exagerated the effect; however, if it is indeed that bad, (I would) "definately complain".

Hope you get to the bottom of it and get it resolved to your satisfaction, either way.

Apologies, for how my last post came off. Even the rest of my post came off like I was telling you that you are full of crap (I see that now, LOL). Sheesh... I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed (maybe that explains the rest of my day's interactions, haha)...

Last edited by Glock 32; 06-09-2011 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

You need to reduce the reflection on the glass, and not the dash! Sometimes a thin film will help. May be try some Rain X antifog and see how that goes?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #21
BestManWins
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: G30 530i Msports

Hi krill,

Yes, the reflections are a pain - can't imagine the irritation it would cause if the same happens in year-round sunny Singapore! I did not experience this as my ride's glazings are individual sunshade type (availabe as option on 523i or std on 535i). Besides the glass type used in the front windscreen, the angle of the sun's rays also come into play.

Looking at RealOEM, I could see some 17 types of front windscreen types for the F10 depending on whether you opted for HUD, lane departure warning, etc.

I would go for an after market tint (approved type) if I were you, they should be able to cut the glare to a large extent. Other suggestions to dull the dash might help too.

Please let us know what works for you.
      06-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #22
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

I've recently noticed that my windshield reflection was getting worse. At first i thought it was due to to the changed angle of the sun. But what I discovered was due to increased intesity of the sun there is a lot more (and quicker) off-gasing that is occuring in the vehicle (due to the vinyls and plastic) and a fine scum is forming on the inside of the windshield. I cleaned the inside of the windscreen and the reflection diminished significantly. Within a week it was back. Cleaned the inside of the windshield again and down the reflection went.

The forming of the scum is very suptle and not really noticable, but none the less still there.

As a side note to this I picked up a natural window cleaner from Costco that works really well and so far the scumming is taking longer to reform on the windshield.