2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Certified

07-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
MoneyJ
Rep
Drives: G35

Certified

The BMW dealer near me has a number of late-model (2012), low-mileage cars that are listed on their website as "BMW Certified".

However, if I go to look at one of the cars, the window has a sticker with an "As-is" checkbox checked. How can this be? Shouldn't it have the balance of the factory warranty plus the extra 2-year limited warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

If its certified, it will have the balance of the factory warranty plus the extra 2-year/100000 miles limited warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Sounds like a scam to lure people to the dealership. A certified car would have a 6 year / 100k mile warranty (from the date of first sale). So, a 2012 should have at least until sometime in 2017 (assuming it was sold in 2011 at the earliest).

I would ask the question straight up and see what you hear. If you hear anything other than a perfectly reasonable and understandable response, I'd leave and not look back. My take is never to deal with a dealership you catch doing ANYTHING shady... chances are good that it's a pattern and not a single occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Reallybro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport AW

All used cars on a dealer lot must display the AS IS sticker. if you read the terms on that lable, it says that the DEALER is making no additional warranties or guarantees about the vehcile. It also says that you will get the balance of the factory warranty, if applicable.

The sticker is required to be placed in the window in accordance with FTC regualtions in every state. it describes any warranties the DEALER is making about the car. If your car is still covered under any manufacturer warranty (yours is), then you get that protection. The dealer himself is not adding or extending any guarantees.

A As Is FTC Used Car Window Stickers Forms (also referred to as As Is Federal Used Car Warranty Sticker) is required to be posted as a window sticker before your auto dealership places a used car for sale on its lot. This is a requirement of the Federal Trade Commission's Used Car Rule. All dealerships that sell used cars are required by the Federal Trade Commission's Used Car Rule to place a used car window sticker called a As Is Buyers Guide Form on EVERY used car.

As a side note, all basic factory warranties are essentially transferable. Factory warranties cover the car, not the owner. So if a 2012 car, still under warranty, goes through 12 owners, it does not matter. the factory warranty is still in effect. If there are extended warranties, or additional coverages beyond the basic limited warranty, those must be transferred as they do not carry over automatically.

In essence, the cars you are looking at are covered under an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
exthree
The Fleet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i

So if the BMW dealer does not certify the low mileage used vehicle for sale, what does that say?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
exthree
The Fleet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i

...but what if NOT certified used?

So if the BMW dealer does not certify the low mileage used vehicle for sale, what does that say?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
Reallybro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport AW

If non-CPO, then only the manufacturers original warranty is in effect. If it is expired, then the 30 day warranty applies.
Appreciate 0