2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum $4,000 to spend on: Options, Packages, and Upgrade Lines

11-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

$4,000 to spend on: Options, Packages, and Upgrade Lines

I have budgeted $4,000 for options, packages, and upgrade lines.

If you were buying a new 535dx, what combination of equipment would you choose?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

It depends where in the USA you live. Stop and Go driving, night driving? Do you put a high value on the best handling or are you a tech nut? Do you prize a sporty look above all? I don't think you are budgeting enough for options @$4,000 if you want any combination of options.

If you want the best handling, I'd pick the Dynamic handling package ($3,500) and Multi Contour Seats ($1,300) for a total of $4,800. If you don't want DHP, I'd substitute for M Sport ($3,150) and Multi Contour ($1,300) and heated front seats ($500) for a total of $4,950 and then find a dealer who will sell you the car at invoice or a bit below to keep you within your budget.

The question is what do you choose??

Last edited by Grover432; 11-07-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think you are right, I have to bump my options a little more, maybe to $5,000. I can find another $1000 someplace.
I live in the Midwest, and am never in any traffic, or tough parking situations, and I make annual trips to the Rocky Mountain west in winter. I do night driving on the highway, but mostly long trips to St. Louis or Rocky Mountains. So, I want to be equipped for that.

DHP is one option I really want, but am having trouble justifying it and the multi-contour seats is another. I also would like the Harmon Kardon sound system.

I really wish they didn't bundle, functional options with styling packages, i.e. fog lights with upgrade lines.

I rarely use fog lights, but when you need them; then you really need them. It should be part of the basic car, or at the very least, an option on the base model, included in the lighting package, premium package, or as an individual option. It is a piece of safety equipment that doesn't belong in the styling category.

The problem is I can't decide. It is like the movie Sophie's Choice. I want them all, but I have to make hard choices, and I have never had a 5-series, so am not familiar with driving the equipment, and its options.

Last edited by Diesel_Lover; 11-07-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
I think you are right, I have to bump my options a little more, maybe to $5,000. I can find another $1000 someplace.
I live in the Midwest, and am never in any traffic, or tough parking situations, and I make annual trips to the Rocky Mountain west in winter. I do night driving on the highway, but mostly long trips to St. Louis or Rocky Mountains. So, I want to be equipped for that.

DHP is one option I really want, but am having trouble justifying it and the multi-contour seats is another. I also would like the Harmon Kardon sound system.

I really wish they didn't bundle, functional options with styling packages, i.e. fog lights with upgrade lines.

I rarely use fog lights, but when you need them; then you really need them. It should be part of the basic car, or at the very least, an option on the base model, included in the lighting package, premium package, or as an individual option. It is a piece of safety equipment that doesn't belong in the styling category.

The problem is I can't decide. It is like the movie Sophie's Choice. I want them all, but I have to make hard choices, and I have never had a 5-series, so am not familiar with driving the equipment, and its options.
With all due respect, I think Sophie had a much more desperate choice to make than the car options issue, but I get your point.

Do you really need X Drive for the trip to the Rockies once a year? You could save some money there. You don't need ACC Stop and Go and I think you can do without the driver assist packages as well. Unless you drive in an area where deer or moose regularly cross the highway, the night vision isn't necessary either.

Based on your post, I'd go M Sport (with or without x Drive - your choice), DHP (subject to a pre order test drive first), Multi Contour seats and HK audio. If it gets cold in your area of the midwest, I'd also get the heated seats. This option set gets you to the closes an F10 can be to the "Ultimate Driving Machine" The rest of the toys won't make the car corner better or feel more sporty.

I was having the same difficulty choosing options as well. In Canada the option packages are more restrictive and I'd have to buy 3 (in 2014) to get the stuff I'd want so I elected to go with a 2013.

I'm in a great spot though. The way my car sets up it will lease for $1,050 plus taxes for a 2014 model (although with a few more options). With a couple of thousand down, my 39 month lease on a 2013 comes in at $740 + taxes/month. This is primarily due to the $5,000 cash/.9% lease rate from BMW Canada and the dealer selling at invoice to clear the cars out.

If I decide part way through the year I am missing DHP or HUD etc. and really want it, I plan to assign my lease through a website like "Leasebusters" prior to the 14' model year clear out and just start looking earlier for a car with more options. Once you get into the model year clear out assigning a lease becomes difficult because the lease payments on a new leftover 14' will be about the same I'd be asking for my '13.

My point is, if you buy right, you always have some options, unlike Sophie.
      11-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I should have used an emoticon there. I was exaggerating to the point of being ridiculous for humors sake.

Yes, I need X-Drive. It is the major reason I am selling my current BMW , I go to the Rocky Mountains in the dead of winter, and I lived there for 20 years. I hope to move back there sometime soon.

I have to chose between the M-Sport or the DHP. I can't get both. I have crunched the numbers, and it pushes me to far over my budget. I have get the base model if I get DHP. I am a cold weather person, and I don't mind cold seats. That option doesn't interest me, even though sometimes it might be useful.

What so great about the M-Sport beside the styling. Is there any performance enhancements, or is it all just rugged good looks?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I should have used an emoticon there. I was exaggerating to the point of being ridiculous for humors sake.

Yes, I need X-Drive. It is the major reason I am selling my current BMW , I go to the Rocky Mountains in the dead of winter, and I lived there for 20 years. I hope to move back there sometime soon.

I have to chose between the M-Sport or the DHP. I can't get both. I have crunched the numbers, and it pushes me to far over my budget. I have get the base model if I get DHP. I am a cold weather person, and I don't mind cold seats. That option doesn't interest me, even though sometimes it might be useful.

What so great about the M-Sport beside the styling. Is there any performance enhancements, or is it all just rugged good looks?
I'll get banned from the site for saying this but the 528X drive I had for a loaner reminded me more of a Buick than a BMW at least not the 1999 5 series I last owned.

The 535 X Drive M Sport seemed to cure allot of that. The steering wheel is beefier, the sport setting firms up the steering and sharpens the throttle and transmission shifts. I didn't care for the pre LCI front end which the M Sport replaces.

As I've said, I haven't driven an F10 with DHP, just a last generation 7 series and it made a huge difference to the handling. You'd have to drive one with it to decide for yourself. As to the M Sport on the LCI cars, I could easily do without the M Sport option as I quite like the new front end, but I'd be looking to replace the steering wheel and I like the sportier settings - not sure if that is part of M Sport it if that stuff comes separately.

If I was buying a 2014, here is how I would configure it:

Alpine White/Black Dakota/Anthracite Trim
M Sport
Premium Package, Apps (or the new expanded replacement)
Technology Package
DHP
ACC Stop & Go (maybe)

As you can see, the car in Canada would price in the mid 80's. I think I got lucky finding the 2013 I wanted with fewer options. The MSRP was $10,000 less than the car I spec'd above.

You have the same dilemma. Everyday I wait for my car I think more and more about scrapping the plan and just or ding the car with the options I really wanted. I'm sooo weak!!!!

PS no biggie on the Sophie thing.
      11-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was going to trade my car in for a six-cylinder 3- series sports wagon. The six cylinder diesel never made it to the states. So, I drove the petrol version to see if I wanted to order one.

After driving it I was thoroughly turned off. I sent BMW an email, and told them it was like driving a Lexus. Plus, the interior felt cheap.
I drove the 2013 5-series while I was there, and the steering was not very good either, but a lot better than the 3.

The 2014 535dx seemed like it had hydraulic steering. In other words, it felt like a BMW. It is the only diesel in the states that I really like, besides the Mercedes S Class; which is way out of my budget. I did find one discounted down to $85,000. It is a very nice car, plenty of power, room, and AWD.

Anyway I know what you mean about the 528x. I think they are trying different things out to increase sales, and gas mileage, while cutting costs.

The 535dx has the sports settings, I do believe, I think the salesman pointed out the feature. It has been a few months since I drove it.

On the technology package, Tech package comes standard in the states; unless you mean, driver assistance package.

ACC\Stop & Go, I have no need for it where I live.

Premium package I would really like, but I can deal with putting the key in the ignition, fumbling for the keys with groceries in hand, and I have an IPhone, so I can do without satellite radio.

I am leaning toward this configuration:
Base Model
Alpine White/ Cinnamon Interior
DHP
Harmon Kardon
Multi-contour seats

I really want fog lights and automatic high-beams, but I'll be damned if I am going to pay another $4,000 to get those features by adding another package, and bumping up to the luxury line.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was going to trade my car in for a six-cylinder 3- series sports wagon. The six cylinder diesel never made it to the states. So, I drove the petrol version to see if I wanted to order one.

After driving it I was thoroughly turned off. I sent BMW an email, and told them it was like driving a Lexus. Plus, the interior felt cheap.
I drove the 2013 5-series while I was there, and the steering was not very good either, but a lot better than the 3.

The 2014 535dx seemed like it had hydraulic steering. In other words, it felt like a BMW. It is the only diesel in the states that I really like, besides the Mercedes S Class; which is way out of my budget. I did find one discounted down to $85,000. It is a very nice car, plenty of power, room, and AWD.

Anyway I know what you mean about the 528x. I think they are trying different things out to increase sales, and gas mileage, while cutting costs.

The 535dx has the sports settings, I do believe, I think the salesman pointed out the feature. It has been a few months since I drove it.

On the technology package, Tech package comes standard in the states; unless you mean, driver assistance package.

ACC\Stop & Go, I have no need for it where I live.

Premium package I would really like, but I can deal with putting the key in the ignition, fumbling for the keys with groceries in hand, and I have an IPhone, so I can do without satellite radio.

I am leaning toward this configuration:
Base Model
Alpine White/ Cinnamon Interior
DHP
Harmon Kardon
Multi-contour seats

I really want fog lights and automatic high-beams, but I'll be damned if I am going to pay another $4,000 to get those features by adding another package, and bumping up to the luxury line.
I think your configuration makes sense but I wouldn't worry too much about the fog lights - unless you live in a foggy area and even if you do, can't you just add them later? As to the automatic headlights, I think doing it manually will keep you awake and save you a few bucks at the same time.
      11-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just looked, and the fog lights of older F10s are available, but the 535dx is not listed. Looks they will be about $125 a piece, but is the wiring there, and the button to turn them on?

Are the fog lights activated on the stalk, or a separate button on the dash?

I don't know how complicated a task it will be to add them after market, and therefore how expensive it will be.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just looked, and the fog lights of older F10s are available, but the 535dx is not listed. Looks they will be about $125 a piece, but is the wiring there, and the button to turn them on?

Are the fog lights activated on the stalk, or a separate button on the dash?

I don't know how complicated a task it will be to add them after market, and therefore how expensive it will be.
If you feel you can't live without them and you have the cash, just order them with the car. Personally, I doubt I would ever use them. If its that foggy out, I'd just as soon stay off the road.
      11-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just did some research on the resale value at kbb.com, and it looks like you don't get any money back on:

Cold weather pkg
luxury seating (package wasn't listed, so this must be the multi-contour seats).
paddle shifters
BMW Individual Composition

But you do get 40% or more of your money back on: after the first year:

M-Sport
DHP
Premium (package wasn't listed for 2013, but if you go back to 2011 or 2012 it is)
Driver Assistance package (same as premium wasn't listed)

So some of the options aren't a total expense. I couldn't find lighting package, so I don't know about that one.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just did some research on the resale value at kbb.com, and it looks like you don't get any money back on:

Cold weather pkg
luxury seating (package wasn't listed, so this must be the multi-contour seats).
paddle shifters
BMW Individual Composition

But you do get 40% or more of your money back on: after the first year:

M-Sport
DHP
Premium (package wasn't listed for 2013, but if you go back to 2011 or 2012 it is)
Driver Assistance package (same as premium wasn't listed)

So some of the options aren't a total expense. I couldn't find lighting package, so I don't know about that one.
How long do you plan on keeping your car?
      11-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I honestly don't know. It might be 2 years, but it might be 10. It depends how things are going for me financially, and if the car is meeting my needs.

The longest I have ever held a car is seven years, but usually I trade between 3 and 5 years. However, I am not putting many miles on my car these days. I am semi-retired, so as long as the car is meeting my needs I will keep it for a long time. However, if I move back to the mountains I might have to flip it for a truck or an X5.

If I knew I was keeping it for 10 years, I would just put the options I want on it, and say the hell with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I honestly don't know. It might be 2 years, but it might be 10. It depends how things are going for me financially, and if the car is meeting my needs.

The longest I have ever held a car is seven years, but usually I trade between 3 and 5 years. However, I am not putting many miles on my car these days. I am semi-retired, so as long as the car is meeting my needs I will keep it for a long time. However, if I move back to the mountains I might have to flip it for a truck or an X5.

If I knew I was keeping it for 10 years, I would just put the options I want on it, and say the hell with it.
I think you have to appreciate that an F10, after 3 years will be worth about 50% of its MSRP (on paper) and you still have to find a buyer. I seriously think you should lease your car if you won't keep it more than 2 - 3 years. You may have difficulty selling your car at a good value, regardless of which options you pick. It's hard to advise you on what options to pick. Obviously if you were keeping the car 7 years and you could afford it, I'd say load the car up. If you are keeping the car for a shorter period, I'd ask the dealer what options are most popular and then order those options even though they. Igbo not be your first choice. Overloading tepee car with options won't help you sell the car - or it might help, but the purchaser will be looking to discount the value of the options.
      11-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Getting no options will give me the best resale value, and I have to buy it near invoice with loyalty cash, eco-credit, and ED discount. When I get to Germany, I will have to make it a camping trip in the Alps with nightly walks into town for beer and sausage.

I will get the Harmon Kardon for sure.

I can afford to get HK and M-Sport.

OR

HK and DHP

OR

HK and Premium package, Driving Assistance Package, and top view camera.

I want them all

Last edited by Diesel_Lover; 11-10-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Getting no options will give me the best resale value, and I have to buy it near invoice with loyalty cash, eco-credit, and ED discount. When I get to Germany, I will have to make it a camping trip in the Alps with nightly walks into town for beer and sausage.

I will get the Harmon Kardon for sure.
Have you considered an F30?
      11-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #17
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was going to buy the F31 Sport Wagon.

I drove 3 hours to test drive one, and was going to order a diesel version that very day.

It was a real disappointment. light steering, felt like a Lexus. They downgraded the interior. It felt cheap. They also, didn't bring a six cylinder to the Sports Wagon. I couldn't trade my beautiful 335d in for that car. It was a real step down.

I test drove the 5-series, and fell in love with it, and I figured if I got it with no options, and got all the discounts I could move up, but it is hard to order it with no options. So, I decided to order a few.

I wish there was an F11 in the states. That is the car I really want.
Appreciate 0