2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Importance of dynamic damper control

04-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Importance of dynamic damper control

So I've searched a lot and there are many threads on this issue but none that address driving feel. I have a chance to spec dynamic damper control without ARS on a 535xi, I know what dynamic damper control does in theory but I'm wondering does it really make your suspension feel sportier/is the drive sportier when the dampers tighten up?

I'm having trouble finding a demo model at the dealer with just DDC. So for those who have it, does it give the car more of a sports suspension (ie. tighter?)? That's what I'd be looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

It makes a huge difference. If you are not in a location to order the MSport suspension that does not have adaptive dampers, then this is a must if you want any kind of sportiness.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
It's not only DDC. In order to get DDC you have to have the sport package, which means 19 inch tires. The driving feel (ride and steering) is completely different from non DDC cars with 18 inch tires. If you have a sporty inclination, it's a must.
      04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I can't really compare a car with DDC and without. I ordered my car with DDC and I can tell you that it definitely tightens up the suspension going from Comfort to Normal to Sport. (Now it's called Comfort+ to Comfort to Sport)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

I can order it separately in Canada for the 535 xdrive - In fact I can only order DDC. Not the other ARS option.

So there is a handling difference then. I want the car to tighten up and feel smaller, exhibit a little less body roll etc
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I believe it also alters the engine dynamics with different shift points. I have it on my 535xi and it seems to run at higher rpm. I believe you can turn off the engine characteristics in the idrive
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
I believe it also alters the engine dynamics with different shift points. I have it on my 535xi and it seems to run at higher rpm. I believe you can turn off the engine characteristics in the idrive
I think what you are referring to is Driving Experience Control, aka Dynamic Driving Control (often incorrectly referred to as DDC), which are the four driving setups controlled by the button next to the gear shift for Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+ that varies the gear shifting maps, steering assistance, and throttle response.

DDC though is Dynamic Driving Control, which adjusts the damping rates of each wheel independently with control modules on each wheel that automatically adjust the shocks.

"A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces."

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
I think what you are referring to is Driving Experience Control, aka Dynamic Driving Control (often incorrectly referred to as DDC), which are the four driving setups controlled by the button next to the gear shift for Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+ that varies the gear shifting maps, steering assistance, and throttle response.

DDC though is Dynamic Driving Control, which adjusts the damping rates of each wheel independently with control modules on each wheel that automatically adjust the shocks.

"A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces."
So what you're saying is that even though I have the Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes on a M-Sport 535xi, I may not have any type of Active Damping?

I was under the impression that the M-Sport version had some kind of suspension difference to a non M-Pack?

I guess this explains why I'm missing the Comfort+ and Adjustability in Sport mode!?

During my test drive my sales guy told me that switching to sport mode hardened the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

shawnsheridan has done an excellent job of describing it.

The M-Sport does have a different suspension setup from the Standard 5 series it is a harder (Sportier) ride and I think a little lower but it is not electronically adjustable.

There is an option to delete the M-Sport suspension on the M-Sport cars at least here in the UK.

My personal opinion on whether you should order the DDC Dynamic Damper Control is that it depends on how you like to drive. I also have a Ford Galaxy MPV fitted with DDC (Very similar system to the BMW) it has 3 settings, Comfort, Normal and Sport and yes you can tell the difference between them but for 99% of the time I have it in comfort mode. So when I purchased my new M-Sport I decided t0 spend the money of the DDC on other options instead. Having driven the M-Sport now for 6K Miles I am very happy with my decision as it handles very well on the standard suspension. But then I only occasionally have fits of fast driving. I guess this is why its an option.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

If you are in the US, the Dynamic Damper Control comes standard with the Sport Package or the M-Sport Package. Not sure about other markets. If you are looking for a more sporty drive, I'd definitely spec it. I have yet to read any reviews of the 5 series with sport suspension being too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Hmmm...next question is how reliable do you think these dynamic shock absorbers would be over 10 years? I want to keep the car for that long. If they are anything like an air suspension, I'd rather go without them/upgrade to kw v3 later. I wonder what the engineering is behind them
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Hmmm...next question is how reliable do you think these dynamic shock absorbers would be over 10 years? I want to keep the car for that long. If they are anything like an air suspension, I'd rather go without them/upgrade to kw v3 later. I wonder what the engineering is behind them
Can't speak for the BMW version but the version on my Ford have done 5 yrs and 102k miles with no problems (Touch wood!)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
It's much more reliable than an air suspension.

Volvo S60R and V70R owners have been running adjustable shocks (by Ohlins / Monroe) since 2003 as part of their 4C suspension (Continuously Controllable Chassis Concept). They have been very reliable (the shock / strut units themselves).

Sensors and accelerometers were more common failure points, but there were very, very few shock failures.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Are there any diagrams or more detailed explanations available of how DDC (Dynamic Damping Control) suspension in our 5 series works?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
kc1953
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
shawnsheridan has done an excellent job of describing it.

The M-Sport does have a different suspension setup from the Standard 5 series it is a harder (Sportier) ride and I think a little lower but it is not electronically adjustable.

There is an option to delete the M-Sport suspension on the M-Sport cars at least here in the UK.

My personal opinion on whether you should order the DDC Dynamic Damper Control is that it depends on how you like to drive. I also have a Ford Galaxy MPV fitted with DDC (Very similar system to the BMW) it has 3 settings, Comfort, Normal and Sport and yes you can tell the difference between them but for 99% of the time I have it in comfort mode. So when I purchased my new M-Sport I decided t0 spend the money of the DDC on other options instead. Having driven the M-Sport now for 6K Miles I am very happy with my decision as it handles very well on the standard suspension. But then I only occasionally have fits of fast driving. I guess this is why its an option.
In the US, M-sport and Sport are exactly the same when it comes to these features. The only differences between the two are cosmetic (sterring wheel, wheels, body molding, and badging on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Anybody have experience on the passive M-sport suspension on the F10? In terms of sportiness how does it compare to DDC & also to the standard passive setup?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #17
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Anybody have experience on the passive M-sport suspension on the F10? In terms of sportiness how does it compare to DDC & also to the standard passive setup?
I've never tried DCC. But I've tried an F10 with standard passive suspention and 17" wheels, and that was way too soft for me.
I've also tried an F10 with m-sport suspension and 19" wheels, and that was much better, but it still had lots of comfort.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0