2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Blown Strut from dealer, says warranty VOIDED!

05-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
jykishan
vroom vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Blown Strut from dealer, says warranty VOIDED!

I just installed my ACS springs on april 16th, while the shop was doing the work they called me to inform me that my right rear strut appeared blown since it was leaking fluid, they also said my front left cv boot had a hole in it, they asked what they wanted me to do , I said just put the car back together with the blown strut and I'll have it fixed under warranty.

Now today about 3 weeks later my dealership called saying I have voided my suspension warranty with my aftermarket springs. They said they can put new OEM struts back on but only with OEM springs and I will have to pay for the new part plus labor. They refused to put new struts on with the ACS springs since "the aftermarket spring compresses the strut too much".

I told them just put my car back together with the blown strut and EFF it.

OBVIOUSLY the acs springs didn't blow the strut since it was already blown with stock springs!

Anyone have any advice??
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

that sucks. Your best bet is to go to another dealer.

You can risk bringing it in with the ACS springs installed or have them swapped out prior going to the dealer. Obviously this is going to cost you $$$ to do either way.

Alan
      05-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The best way is to have your oem spring put back in and hope that the dealership won't find any signs of tampering with the suspension. They will not change your shocks under warranty with aftermarket springs.

Another route is to buy aftermarket shocks or buy a full coilover set

https://www.instagram.com/kruznm3/
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

Its interesting that the shocks are blown on a fairly new car, i guess theres no way to find out now.

No dealer will fix this for you while the ac springs are on. I just goes against their agreement with bmw NA, who ultimately reimburses the dealer for the warranty work.

Either swap in the oe springs or go coilovers.

Goodluck.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Is the ACS install shop reliable? Do you know they didn't stiff you with the broken strut?
Did you hit something to get all this damage?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
sanf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZN335 View Post
The best way is to have your oem spring put back in and hope that the dealership won't find any signs of tampering with the suspension. They will not change your shocks under warranty with aftermarket springs.

Another route is to buy aftermarket shocks or buy a full coilover set
ditto
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Thats pretty wild you had a blown strut. How many miles on the car when you swapped out the springs? I had mine installed at my dealer for that very reason meaning just in case something happens with the suspension they did the work and authorized it. I also asked my service manager before installing if this would void warranty and he said no, only if something is defective with the actual aftermarket spring they wouldn't cover the cost of replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Radamez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 XDrive / Imperial Blu

Swap the ACS springs with the factory ones and go to another dealership. That's much cheaper than what the dealership was trying to pull. Hopefully they didn't put any notes in the system about voiding your warranty. All dealerships operate different some will overlook aftermarket parts while others will try and STICK it to you. Hope you get some resolution to this without burning your pocket.
      05-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
jykishan
vroom vroom
United_States
Rep

shop is very reliable, butler tire in atlanta, another member on here recommended them to me. They actually called me 2 hours into the install to let me know that the strut is blown and the cv boot had a hole in it. They asked me what they wanted to do and I said just proceed with the install.

The funny thing is when I took my car into the dealership on this wed, they already knew about the blown strut, it was already entered into their system, how the hell is that possible..

as for swapping the springs out, that would cost me more then just buying my own struts and having it installed my self out of pocket. I have xdrive, i paid more to install the springs then for the springs themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Is the ACS install shop reliable? Do you know they didn't stiff you with the broken strut?
Did you hit something to get all this damage?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
jykishan
vroom vroom
United_States
Rep

bought the car with 7500 miles, had it lowered with 11,500 miles, but they were blown before the install so who knows when that happened, car has always been pulling to the right slightly so maybe its been blown since the day I bought it.

I guess I'll try another dealer, hopefully the fact I have aftermarket springs isn't entered into their system. Otherwise I'll buy my own struts.

Does anyone even make aftermarket shocks and struts for our cars?? Coilovers just aren't a option for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
Thats pretty wild you had a blown strut. How many miles on the car when you swapped out the springs? I had mine installed at my dealer for that very reason meaning just in case something happens with the suspension they did the work and authorized it. I also asked my service manager before installing if this would void warranty and he said no, only if something is defective with the actual aftermarket spring they wouldn't cover the cost of replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

Why not? Get Megan Racing coilovers for $850 (brand new set in the For Sale section below in the forum).

You will get better handling, fix your problem, and if you WANT, can even lower the car (or not...)