2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Need help identifying oil leak

05-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Need help identifying oil leak

Was under the car the other day and saw this leak. The black platic towards the top is the fan, and this is on the driver's side, after removing the splash shield.

I wasn't really able to trace it through, but the top side of the engine is dry so it doesn't look like it was dripped from too far above. Thr black hose looks like a coolant line ? Can this be coming from somewhere around the FMIC ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Hard to tell from that picture. I know I just had both my oil filter housing gasket replaced as it was dripping onto the belt
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

You should post your car/engine you have, since there are a lot of different engine possibilities. Power steering is often on that side as well as an oil filter housing, if your engine has one there.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 01:13 AM   #4
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's a N55 (535 xDrive).

Oil filter gasket has a very mild seep but not a leak (yet), and also located much further on the N55, so I don't think it's that.

The oil didn't look like power steering fluid, looked like engine oil to me ..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraken View Post
It's a N55 (535 xDrive).

Oil filter gasket has a very mild seep but not a leak (yet), and also located much further on the N55, so I don't think it's that.

get that oil filter gasket fixed as I was told by the dealer and some forum members that the oil will leak onto the belt which than could possibly come off and you don't want that to happen
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
get that oil filter gasket fixed as I was told by the dealer and some forum members that the oil will leak onto the belt which than could possibly come off and you don't want that to happen
Yeah I already have the gaskets, just never gotten around to it yet as the seeping is very minor and the oil isn't making it past the oil filter housing itself. The other leak I'm trying to identify is much worst so want to address that first. I'm losing about a quart of oil after 3k miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Hard to tell from that picture. I know I just had both my oil filter housing gasket replaced as it was dripping onto the belt
very dangerous. if that belt slips off from the oil it will cause massive engine damage.

Quote:
It's a N55 (535 xDrive).

the F10's have electric power steering. they do not have power steering fluid...

the leak is most likely your oil pan gasket.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
very dangerous. if that belt slips off from the oil it will cause massive engine damage.

the F10's have electric power steering. they do not have power steering fluid...

the leak is most likely your oil pan gasket.

Great, seems like I've hit about every single one of the common issues on the F10 so far. This one sounds expensive as I read you need to drop the front subframe

Since the leak is not that severe yet, should I just let it go and watch the oil levels ? What is the risk if I just keep the oil level correct ? No drips on my driveway, just some oil on the belly cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
geminiys
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 535XI & 2005 M3

Quote:
Great, seems like I've hit about every single one of the common issues on the F10 so far. This one sounds expensive as I read you need to drop the front subframe

Since the leak is not that severe yet, should I just let it go and watch the oil levels ? What is the risk if I just keep the oil level correct ? No drips on my driveway, just some oil on the belly cover.
Actually XDrive have hydraulic Power Steering. Thus, check if the leak is coming from Power Steering Pump. I know mine stated to seep and will need to take care of it soon. Unfortunately the pump must be replaced, as there is no rebuild for it.
2018, Q5, 100 miles
2005, XC70 AWD, 160k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #10
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:

Yea don't worry about it for now. Just make sure to check your oil levels often and top up as needed. I strongly suggest not to push the engine hard as this is going to make the leaking worse. drive normally.

In the meantime, I strongly suggest you get the OFHG replacd as it's not an expensive fix (oil filter housing gasket) because it starts to leak on your belts and will really fuck your day up. also, take off the plastic engine cover and take a peek around the VCG (valve cover gasket) to make sure that isn't leaking either. these are all common issues with the N55 motor, and IMO not serious. Most likely has something to do with the high oil temps our motors run at. To be honest, other than the gaskets, and then your water pump further down the road, expect many years of trouble-free driving from your 535i. The motor itself is incredibly robust and long-lasting, it's just the shitty gaskets and plastic parts around the engine which are always causing trouble. Now, it could also have to do with you driving your car aggressively, because there are some owners who have zero leaks and issues (such as me, I have 80K miles on my 535i, zero leaks, nothing out of the ordinary has went wrong except for one ignition coil which could have been prevented if I changed my spark plugs on time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiys View Post
Actually XDrive have hydraulic Power Steering. Thus, check if the leak is coming from Power Steering Pump. I know mine stated to seep and will need to take care of it soon. Unfortunately the pump must be replaced, as there is no rebuild for it.
Interesting fact, I never knew this. The electric steering on my RWD 535i feels pretty gear, IMO. I'm not sure why people always complain about the steering rack in these cars. I think it's the soft suspension which is really holding back the car from performing like an older BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. Yeah could be my driving, and probably the previous owner. lol A bit on the spirited, esp coming from a lighter car with more power and agility.

I wanted to do a stage 1 tune, but figured it's probably going to accelerate the gasket failures.

I already have the OFH gasket, just haven't gotten to it yet as it's not yet making past a small stain around the gasket itself, so I have a bit of time.

Still trying to figure out how to get the front lower thrust arm out lol
Appreciate 0