2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Trunk Subwoofer w/o Ski Pass-through

09-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #1
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Trunk Subwoofer w/o Ski Pass-through

I'm wanting to install a sub in my trunk, but am concerned about the majority of the bass produced being killed due to my car not having the ski pass through or even folding rear seats. Is there anybody on here that has subs in a car like mine?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:50 AM   #2
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

You should be fine if you get enough power in those trunk subs. Although I have a ski through, I never used it when I had my subs installed. Bass came into the cabin but also rattled the trunk a lot. I was running 1500 watts back there. If you want you can also have a shop fabricate you a custom box and make the bass enter the cabin through the top rear deck.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
You should be fine if you get enough power in those trunk subs. Although I have a ski through, I never used it when I had my subs installed. Bass came into the cabin but also rattled the trunk a lot. I was running 1500 watts back there. If you want you can also have a shop fabricate you a custom box and make the bass enter the cabin through the top rear deck.
Yeah, that's just the thing, I'm only going to be running 600W RMS. My car, without the pass through, has a ~1" thick sound insulation board running across the entire back of the seat. I read on another forum where a couple of guys were saying that it really killed a bunch of the sound (a lot more so than a Honda Accord back seat would kill) and were looking for a solution, but none of the guys ever came back to say what they had tried and if it had worked.

As you said, I could just run a lot more power in the system. I'm trying to stay away from that though mostly because of how it might start affecting the already weak charging system in the car, and also because of the extra $ it would take. As for the box being ported into the cabin, that's also more than I'm wanting to do, as I want something that is easily removable.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll be putting the system in regardless, I'm just hoping for some input from members with similar setups.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
Rudeja
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport

Ski pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
I'll be putting the system in regardless, I'm just hoping for some input from members with similar setups.
I have a sub installed and I also have a Ski pass, I can tell you that it does make a difference, when the rear seat hand rest is up, it kills my bass.
As soon as its lowered its like a super bass boost. I have a ported box so maybe why.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth
Quote:
I'm wanting to install a sub in my trunk, but am concerned about the majority of the bass produced being killed due to my car not having the ski pass through or even folding rear seats. Is there anybody on here that has subs in a car like mine?
I'm also adding subs and don't have folding seats or ski bag pass thru, there is a thread to remove back seats. I'm going to use it to remove mine and cut the ski hole out to get more bass in the cabin. I'm am also facing my woofers foreword so they don't rattle the shit out the trunk. I'm installing 2 15's in a sealed box and a 1000w amp with the audio control lc2 high powered line converter/bass restorer. I'm waiting for it to cool down in my state before I do the install, prolly in a week or two. As far as making the hole in the seat look good after I cut it, I havnt got that far yet. My car does have the fold down arm rest and I removed the plastic trim piece that covers up where the ski hole would be. You can see the outline of the ski hole and where to cut in the foam. The foam is black but the trim around the hole is white plastic, so the only way to make look nice would be to cut the plastic trim piece too. I can always get another trim piece to cover the hole in the cabin and cover up the hole from the trunk side if I decide to take the subs out.
Can't wait to see what that will look like and hear your opinion on how it sounds. What will you be doing for your highs?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
Can't wait to see what that will look like and hear your opinion on how it sounds. What will you be doing for your highs?
My car has the upgraded audio system so I won't be doing anything other than subs. The stock speakers scream plenty it just needs a better quality sub that goes below the 48hz cut off.
Oh nice, so that's the Harmon Kardon system right? My car has the regular Hifi system in it and I just purchased the bimmer-tech amp. Can't wait to install it, from there my plan is to eventually throw something in the trunk like what you're doing. I've got two 12's capable of 600 watts each. Looking forward to your build
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeja View Post
I have a sub installed and I also have a Ski pass, I can tell you that it does make a difference, when the rear seat hand rest is up, it kills my bass.
As soon as its lowered its like a super bass boost. I have a ported box so maybe why.
I am curious if ported vs. sealed makes much of a difference with this issue
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
I am curious if ported vs. sealed makes much of a difference with this issue
Maybe but probably no since the trunk itself is pretty sealed hence why u guys without the ski hole have bass issues. Its like an enclosure within an enclosure. I think I read somewhere that back piece that separates the trunk is a solid metal piece?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Here's what i did on my E60. I also have fixed seats.

1st system:

Sealed box

2nd System, Infinite Battle

Appreciate 1
      10-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #11
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
Here's what i did on my E60. I also have fixed seats.

1st system:

Sealed box

2nd System, Infinite Battle
First of all, straight up awesome work with the second system. Props. Second, can you elaborate on the second system, in particular how it works? Does infinite baffle basically mean the trunk is the box? How does it sound, etc...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
Here's my subs, box is not finished yet. I want to hear it before I go crazy filling the screw holes and covering it. If it's not what I want I will go ported with only a single woofer, box will have to be a lot bigger for ported so only 1.
how do you like the JL's? i use to rock the old skool JL's but haven't really heard any of the newer stuff? still deciding to run a single 12" JL or 2 12" in a sealed enclosure? with the single i can just go with one that can handle more rms like a W6 or run 2 W3's?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nelson, that's a clean setup!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love JL's and in my opinion they sound really good. I have 2 18w3's in my trans am and 3 12w6's in my explorer. All sealed and they Sound very clean, so that was why I choose to go JL again. I chose these also for their small box volume requirements, only 1.6 cubes per woofer. I didn't want to lose all my trunk space and the 15" woofers should penetrate the back seat with the ski hole cut out very nicley. Large woofers with good power will produce deep crisp bass (if set up properly) and they will sound good at low volume, I'm not the retard at the light blasting his bass like high school kid. I just want to round out my stock system as the fake subs bmw put in the f10 are shit and they cut off anything below 48hz so they aren't really subs.
I Love JL's too! I had a shop quote me like $300 to build me a sealed box to hold 2 12" JLw3's but would lose half of my trunk...sort like what Nelson posted above. I have the ski hole so I'm wondering if I should just run a single 12" W6? Ever hear those shallow subs? Damn! 18's! That's crazy bass yo!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 10-05-2015 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
YES 18'S!!!!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I Love JL's too! I had a shop quote me like $300 to build me a sealed box to hold 2 12" JLw3's but would lose half of my trunk...sort like what Nelson posted above. I have the ski hole so I'm wondering if I should just run a single 12" W6? Ever hear those shallow subs? Damn! 18's! That's crazy bass yo!
My sub set up was IB, I still had a 100 % percent functional trunk. I have cover for the panels.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #17
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
First of all, straight up awesome work with the second system. Props. Second, can you elaborate on the second system, in particular how it works? Does infinite baffle basically mean the trunk is the box? How does it sound, etc...
Here's the complete build log http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/126565-nelson-again-530i-build-log-take-2-project-individual-v-2-a.html

Yes the trunk is the box. Sound Phenomenal. With a IB set up you get deep, accurate bass.

I'm also a competitor so I'm very involved car audio.
Appreciate 2
      10-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #18
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here's the complete build log http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ual-v-2-a.html

Yes the trunk is the box. Sound Phenomenal. With a IB set up you get deep, accurate bass.

I'm also a competitor so I'm very involved car audio.
Nelson@BimmerTech This interests me. I like the idea of being able to have large subs without having a massive box fill the trunk. Can you tell me about the airflow for this? Do you still have the vents in the trunk that send air out of the car open, or did you seal them off? I need to find on my F10 where the airflow from the cabin to the trunk is.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #19
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Noob question here, but how do you tag a forum user in a post? I've seen it done before on threads, and for when you're trying to get information from them that would be useful to the thread, I'd like to know how.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #20
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You mean PM or Quote? U can "QUOTE " their reply and it will PM him/her---------------^
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #21
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
You mean PM or Quote? U can "QUOTE " their reply and it will PM him/her---------------^
Neither. I'll have to go digging to look for an example of what I'm talking about. I've seen it on a thread somewhere before... I didn't know the quote tool sent a PM to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #22
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Here's more info on IB

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...-car-home-pro/

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/2612370-post11.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/36168-post6.html

IB examples

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...b-install.html