2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Upper oil pan leak NOT recommended to repair?

12-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
kevinb511
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xdrive

Hello,
Looking for some opinions. My 2011 550 is in having valve seals and turbos replaced. While in there the dealer found a small leak in the upper oil pan gasket. My SA said BMW recommends NOT replacing it because it could potentially cause more issues due to the nature of the work that has to be done to access it. I'm ok leaving it, as I've never seen a single drop of oil anywhere on the ground, but I've never found a BMW dealer recommending to not do work. I do have to say that my dealership has been absolutely fantastic and has helped me a lot through the class action valve seal/turbo repairs so it doesn't surprise me to hear they are looking out for me and suggesting to not do unnecessary repairs. Just wanted to get an opinion from the forum if it is common for BMW to suggest not replacing the gasket.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
james23
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i M Sport

I had a leak in the same area. After inspection by the dealer, they determined that the block was porous and they went ahead and replaced the engine under CPO warranty. I would say that if the leak is minimal, no harm will be done by leaving it alone. Keep an eye on oil level. Worse thing would be the under carriage will get oily.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
kevinb511
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Tough to say if it is contributing to the low oil level issues I've been having. I put a quart in about every 300 miles which is being addressed by the class action suit now. Will see what happens when I get the car back. Valve seals and turbos were determined to be the cause of the consumption.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Not repairing an oil leak? That sounds ridiculous. I’d ask for pictures of the leak.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb511 View Post
Hello,
Looking for some opinions. My 2011 550 is in having valve seals and turbos replaced. While in there the dealer found a small leak in the upper oil pan gasket. My SA said BMW recommends NOT replacing it because it could potentially cause more issues due to the nature of the work that has to be done to access it. I'm ok leaving it, as I've never seen a single drop of oil anywhere on the ground, but I've never found a BMW dealer recommending to not do work. I do have to say that my dealership has been absolutely fantastic and has helped me a lot through the class action valve seal/turbo repairs so it doesn't surprise me to hear they are looking out for me and suggesting to not do unnecessary repairs. Just wanted to get an opinion from the forum if it is common for BMW to suggest not replacing the gasket.
Im pretty sure its from the turbo oil return housing and not from the pan.. have them check the turbo oil return housing since your changing the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
kevinb511
Rep

They did say it was possible that it was coming from the turbo housing, so I'll make sure they check that. Would that be something that gets replaced during the turbo replacement? Also, they found a leak from the valve cover gasket, so are replacing that too.
Appreciate 1
kehn12.00
      12-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #7
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Quote:
They did say it was possible that it was coming from the turbo housing, so I'll make sure they check that. Would that be something that gets replaced during the turbo replacement? Also, they found a leak from the valve cover gasket, so are replacing that too.
It is something that recommended to get replaced when changing the turbo. N63 non-TU tend to have issue with the housing in the long run. Replacing it saves time and money if doing turbo work.
Appreciate 1
kehn12.00
      04-21-2024, 10:05 AM   #8
kehn
Registered
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10/550i/FR/2011

Quote:
Hello,
Hello all.
I am just wondering further story of this post. Because I have 2011 550i and my auto garage found a very small leak from upper oil pan recentry.

I v got oil refill warning at about every 3000km.It seems fine to me or should I worry ?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 02:36 PM   #9
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Oil is cheap. I'd ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 03:32 PM   #10
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehn View Post
Hello all.
I am just wondering further story of this post. Because I have 2011 550i and my auto garage found a very small leak from upper oil pan recentry.

I v got oil refill warning at about every 3000km.It seems fine to me or should I worry ?
Hi, first generation N63s are known for the high oil consumption (between leaks, turbos, and valve seals). I BELIEVE BMW stated in a service bulletin that 1 liter for every 1000 miles (1,600km) was acceptable. Anything higher than was reason to diagnose a larger problem.

So, as long as you are under that 1lt/ 1000mi I would just refill the amount that the iDrive says to refill. That oil leak your garage found is "very small", so that oil consumption has VERY LITTLE to do with this leak.