2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Cooling Seat question

06-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
avus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Cooling Seat question

When you press the cooling seat button, is there a noise or fan that goes on? How do you know its working?
I have a feeling neither front seats' cooling feature works
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by avus View Post
When you press the cooling seat button, is there a noise or fan that goes on? How do you know its working?
I find it is very quiet and really only noticeable after a few minutes

if you put the back of your hand near the headrest you should be able to feel the slightest breeze
      06-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

If you can smell your fart before you stop hearing the sound of your fart you know it's working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avus View Post
I find it is very quiet and really only noticeable after a few minutes

if you put the back of your hand near the headrest you should be able to feel the slightest breeze
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
avus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

after quite a few button presses, I heard a fan-noise from the right side of the driver's seat. shortly after, I could feel the air on my back.
i turned the car off/on to see seat now works -- this time, no fan noise - no air...
it's broken.
yay... another trip to the service department
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
jonrad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Thumbs down BMW FAIL!

Let me start this by saying BUYER BEWARE. I bought my 5 series in september of 2010 (its a 2011) I read some great reviews and was very excited about getting this seemingly incredible edition to the legacy of BMW's great engineering. I purchased the addtle seat ventilation package for 2995.00 because I thought I was getting air conditioned seats.
What I was getting was this: Active seat ventilation.

"Keeping you feeling fresh even on the longest journey: the active seat ventilation ensures that air circulates throughout the seat constantly, removing moisture and helping prevent discomfort or driving fatigue."

"A total of nine axial flow fans are integrated into the high-quality foam padding inside the seat: four in the backrest and five in the seat. The fans draw fresh [B]cabin air[B] into the seats and channel it through an air-permeable middle layer, distributing it evenly throughout the seat. Special perforations in the upholstery allow it to move through the leather, keeping perspiration to a minimum.
The three-speed fans can be controlled using a switch on the central console or a control on the seat itself, depending on your BMW model. The iDrive Controller lets you change the distribution of air between the seat and the backrest. The highest fan speed instantly cools seats that have been heated by direct sunlight, ensuring a comfortable welcome even in summer.
In order to prevent uncomfortable over-cooling of the seat surface, the active seat ventilation includes seat heating, which heats the air to a perfectly comfortable temperature. Long journeys become more comfortable, the driver remains alert and fresh, and - last but not least - clothes are left less creased"
This was taken directly from BMW's website.

Here's the problem... I just brought my car in because I thought it was broken! My Car sits in an outdoor parking lot and because I live in L.A. it gets pretty toasty when the sun hits the seats. The seats conduct that heat and when you turn on the seat "FANS" they blow hot air! down your neck! I have a 1/2 hour drive home and although the ac cooled the inside cabin temp pretty quickly, 5 min's or so, the air the seat blows remained hot at first then warm for the duration of my drive cause the seat is warm. Blow cabin air through the hot seat and you get hot air. FAIL!
I know BMW is a long way from L.A. but I cannot believe they could not engineer this so that the air from the ac unit is actually blowing through the seats! The real dissapointment is I paid extra for this feature cause the heated seats came with the cold weather package! out the door my car was over $73'000.00 I cannot believe this is the best they could do!

Then again this is the same company that decided to make the run flat tires standard and disssed the spare tire I have already replaced 2 of those and the car ony has 14,000. miles on it. (485 bucks a piece installed)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

You might want to use the car ventilation feature available from the menu prior to you returning to the car. At least this should help bring the interior down to ambient before you get in. This would only work if you know when you'll be getting back, as if you're wrong, it could easily heat back up again.

They never said it was a cooled seat...ventillated, yes, but not cooled. The other big thing in the active seat package is the motor that helps prevent deep vein thrombosus on a long trip. What color is your interior? I purposely chose a lighter color to help minimize the heat soaking. So far, that does seem to have helped.
Appreciate 0