2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding iDrive - Navigation around USB drive is crazy

06-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

iDrive - Navigation around USB drive is crazy

Hi, My car does not have the pro nav - I just have the standard and the USB music. Music works great.

My beef is the navigation around the USB drive - 16Gig full of albums on a USB flash drive in the armrest. So alphabetically about 190 albums in folder with the artists from Abba to ZZ Top.

I am inside a folder Z with subfolders B and C. I am playing a track from B. Every time i want to select something new to listen to in folder Z (ZZ top say )why does the blasted thing keep taking me back to the root and Abba? If I am in album b why can't I just back out to folder Z instead to another zz top album instead of backing back to the root? It means i have to scroll all the way down to the folder Z again with the rotary controller.

Sounds like a minor issue (in the great scheme of things of course it is) but annoying the heck out of me. Also why on earth can't you scroll in the opposite direction so if you are at A you have to go through the alphabet instead of scrolling int the other direction to go from A to Z?

This has not been thought through properly.... OR I am missing something (not unknown.... !).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Does this do this for songs in folder Z or just subfolders in folder Z?

This used to be an issue with the old NAV where you would be playing a song in a folder and go to choose another song and it would take you to the root. They fixed this with ECU update however I have never tried it with subfolders. I will try it on my 08
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
I believe the issue (as in all flash music players with tons of *******, is to make use of the playlist feature

I admit that I am still trying to find a way to easily generate playlist myself....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
mit
Private
Rep
Drives: 528

Lightbulb

I found it it makes life much easier by using the mp3 tag to organise your music collections on your USB flash. Using itune(MAC) or mp3tag(one of the freeware for PC) to enter the genre, artist, album name, album cover art.... for each songs you can then pick any song(s) according to any of these tags in iDrive

Eg. for all my English songs they are categorized as EPop under Genre while those Japanese as JPop. Say I choose Epop as the Genre, and click artists(or album), all the artists name(or album name) under Epop will show up. The correct album art will also be shown as what you've chosen to be the cover art when you made the tags with the above software. You don't even need to bother how your songs are organised in your USB as long as the correct tags is made for them.(I like to create a folder for each albums and that's it)

PS: all the chinese character will be correctly shown even if I use English as the default language for the iDrive

mp3tag download:
http://download.cnet.com/Mp3tag/3000...-10313616.html

Hope the above is of help to you guys here

Last edited by mit; 06-20-2011 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Yeah, my car shows Korean by itself, even after I've changed the titles etc.. very cool gotta say
I just put 20-30 songs that I actually listen to now (as opposed to 10 yrs ago).. forces you to not hoard
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
ncsjason
Registered
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit View Post
I found it it makes life much easier by using the mp3 tag to organise your music collections on your USB flash. Using itune(MAC) or mp3tag(one of the freeware for PC) to enter the genre, artist, album name, album cover art.... for each songs you can then pick any song(s) according to any of these tags in iDrive

Eg. for all my English songs they are categorized as EPop under Genre while those Japanese as JPop. Say I choose Epop as the Genre, and click artists(or album), all the artists name(or album name) under Epop will show up. The correct album art will also be shown as what you've chosen to be the cover art when you made the tags with the above software. You don't even need to bother how your songs are organised in your USB as long as the correct tags is made for them.(I like to create a folder for each albums and that's it)

PS: all the chinese character will be correctly shown even if I use English as the default language for the iDrive

mp3tag download:
http://download.cnet.com/Mp3tag/3000...-10313616.html

Hope the above is of help to you guys here
sry mate..how do you make "chinese character will be correctly shown even if I use English as the default language for the iDrive" ?? I tried using the mp3 tag editor also cannot... the chinese characters still comes up as many squares..
Appreciate 0