2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Anyone successfully coded F10 in the UK?

03-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #199
poolie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d f10 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Hi,

Definitely no fall out with anyone

Its a just a lack of time (please appreciate that I only do this as a hobby; I still have a day job that requires extensive overseas travelling)

There is someone coming around Easter to learn coding (and my sincere apologies, I have forgotten who it is - I will have to go back to some of my emails) and the idea was that this person would then help out the guys up North.

My apologies; if I am not able to respond to some posts.
sorry mate. My minds in overdrive at the moment. Didn't mean it that way.

out of curiosity is there anything on the net were I could possibly learn this?

Last edited by poolie; 03-19-2014 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #200
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Basingstoke Coding Meet on Sat, 22 March 2pm

- Carlycolour
- Amdb9
- Len1011
- Jocky Wilson

I have sent you the address via PM.
      03-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #201
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

I was going to come during Easter, but due to a warning from my dealer about the warranty being invalidated I will not be coming - shame as I was quite excited.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #202
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I persoanlally wouldn't have said anything to ther dealer but I understand your concern.

I've only got a couple of changes of my car, one which GSPANNU did for me intially way back , and anotehr that I struck up teh courage to do myself.

I've just had my April 2012 car serviced and feared that they might eitehr pick up on the coding or simply wipe it out with a newer level. They didn't update the software so the 2 changes remain intact. Additionally they either didn't notice or simply didn't say anything about the coding.

Your choice at the end of the day, sure there are risks but I think the risk is low.

its a real shame BMW dealers can't do any of this but I guess its because some of the features may be regarded as Beta , and tehrefore not enabled, Uk legislation may possibly prevent some settings or they are not enabled because BMW want to offer something as a new feature in a future model year so it looks like constant improvements.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #203
Carlycolour
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d se 2011

Sat 22Nd

Quote:
Basingstoke Coding Meet on Sat, 22 March 2pm

We have the following people coming in so far (I hope I haven't missed anyone, if I have please post here !)

- Carlycolour
- Amdb9
- Len1011
- Jocky Wilson

May I suggest that you all post here what coding you would like done in your car, this allows others to know what you are getting done and learn/ expand their knowledge base.

Try and write the list of things you wish coded (along with model/year of your car) ... and hopefully, by Sat, we will have a consolidated list !

Cheers...
Would like Coding:
DVD in motion
Rear DRL's & Brighter fronts
Shorter button press time for mirror close
Auto parking brake release on touching throttle
Enable Fog Lights with High Beams
Turn off power (radio and iDrive) when opening door

And if time allows I have everything together now to do my own coding so a quick check through that my set up is working (cable and software check and brief tutorial if poss).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #204
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I persoanlally wouldn't have said anything to ther dealer but I understand your concern.

I've only got a couple of changes of my car, one which GSPANNU did for me intially way back , and anotehr that I struck up teh courage to do myself.

I've just had my April 2012 car serviced and feared that they might eitehr pick up on the coding or simply wipe it out with a newer level. They didn't update the software so the 2 changes remain intact. Additionally they either didn't notice or simply didn't say anything about the coding.

Your choice at the end of the day, sure there are risks but I think the risk is low.

its a real shame BMW dealers can't do any of this but I guess its because some of the features may be regarded as Beta , and tehrefore not enabled, Uk legislation may possibly prevent some settings or they are not enabled because BMW want to offer something as a new feature in a future model year so it looks like constant improvements.
I agree with AP. All I can say is that dealers have no 'easy way' of finding whether the car has been coded. The tool used for coding is not accessible to dealerships; and the reality is that they do not care.

I would be very surprised if any dealer actually even knew about coding - most dealers confuse coding with 'remapping' - this is something that dealers are really worried about regarding warranties.

On a humorous note, I have coded 3 cars (of a dealership) as they found no way of disabling the annoying Auto Start-Stop behaviour; and I offered to do it for them.
      03-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #205
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlycolour View Post
Would like Coding:
DVD in motion

And if time allows I have everything together now to do my own coding so a quick check through that my set up is working (cable and software check and brief tutorial if poss).
Thanks for the update.
      03-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #206
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolie View Post
sorry mate. My minds in overdrive at the moment. Didn't mean it that way.

out of curiosity is there anything on the net were I could possibly learn this?
Your best bet is this link... and time and patience and a bit of nerve to handle anxiety.
      03-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #207
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Would like Coding:
DVD in motion

Almost 100% of what I would like to do!!
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #208
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Almost 100% of what I would like to do!!
Are you coming over on Sat, 22 March as well?
      03-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #209
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you coming over on Sat, 22 March as well?
No thank you, do appreciate the offer. Mine is brand new, and I am not quite there yet ....
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #210
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Would like Coding:
DVD in motion

The item there, "autoparking brake release on touching throttle" pretty sure that's how it works. It does on mine at least (April 2012 model). Set the autohandbrake on and when the car stops, the handbrake goes on. then just the throttle and it disengages.
Is that not the case with your car?
I must admit I tend not to use it as I find it slightly jerky.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #211
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The item there, "autoparking brake release on touching throttle" pretty sure that's how it works. It does on mine at least (April 2012 model). Set the autohandbrake on and when the car stops, the handbrake goes on. then just the throttle and it disengages.
Is that not the case with your car?
I must admit I tend not to use it as I find it slightly jerky.
I know what you mean, but I think he is talking about the parking brake coming off when you drive off after leaving it overnight
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #212
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I agree with AP. All I can say is that dealers have no 'easy way' of finding whether the car has been coded. The tool used for coding is not accessible to dealerships; and the reality is that they do not care.

I would be very surprised if any dealer actually even knew about coding - most dealers confuse coding with 'remapping' - this is something that dealers are really worried about regarding warranties.

On a humorous note, I have coded 3 cars (of a dealership) as they found no way of disabling the annoying Auto Start-Stop behaviour; and I offered to do it for them.
yeh I think the dealers are so busy during the day, that haven't the time to be bothered about any of this unless its causing an obvious issue. I bought the 5 year servicing and my guess is that each dealership probably claims a cost back from BMW to service a car (as it may not have been provided by themselves - which was the case when I had mine serviced) and therefore will probably spend the minimum amount of time on it. I think I'm right in saying that updating the software of a car is not a 5 minute task. Why do it if the owners is not reporting any issues? the other feature I coded on the car was the stop / start set to last setting. When I dropped the car off, ASS was off. So when they started the car, if they were being observant, they'd have noticed it was off by default. But they didn't. As I say , they are busy and many cars to get serviced each day .
I wouldn't worry about to be honest .
I did download and install the latest Esys on my laptop with the latest files in preparation for assuming the worst of then updating the software, but in the end this wasn't necessary. I therefore held off looking for a token. (My last copy of esys had a free token but it appears there is a small cost for this now)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #213
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know what you mean, but I think he is talking about the parking brake coming off when you drive off after leaving it overnight
ah ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #214
Amdb9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport AW

Wishlist as follows:

DVD in motion
Rear DRL's and lights to go on with the front LED rings (I have xenons)
TPS pressures (I think I can do this not sure?)
Reverse mirror dip (passenger side)
Disable auto stop start on start up / memory
Phone ringtone?
Acoustic lock/unlock signal?
Speed display in centre console?

Anyone know any other useful codes?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #215
AP
Major General
Rep

Reverse mirror dip, think you just have have the switch next to the mirror adjustment in the left ( or right?) position . Anyway my car does that without any coding
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #216
Amdb9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport AW

Quote:
Reverse mirror dip, think you just have have the switch next to the mirror adjustment in the left ( or right?) position . Anyway my car does that without any coding
Yes so does my X5 40d but for some reason my 520d does not :s
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #217
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdb9 View Post
Yes so does my X5 40d but for some reason my 520d does not :s
My 520d does? You have folding mirrors I take it? Not sure if you need them...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:18 AM   #218
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes i have folding mirrors but assumed that was standard? ( it was on my precious e39 which did not have folding mirrors)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #219
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My 520d does? You have folding mirrors I take it? Not sure if you need them...
Yes, you need folding mirrors for reverse dipping. The 520D does not have this as standard.

By coding, you can control the angle of the dip to the whatever you want. Very useful if you are too tall or too short, or want to see the rear wheel more clearly.
      03-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #220
Carlycolour
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d se 2011

Quote:
Would like Coding:
DVD in motion

couple more
Acoustic lock/unlock signal
Speed display in centre console
Appreciate 0