2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2016 BMW F10 M Sport Bumper Issues

04-13-2024, 07:32 AM   #1
SAMW98SO
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d M Sport

2016 BMW F10 M Sport Bumper Issues

Hi there,

I've recently bought a 2016 F10 520d M Sport and there are a few issues with both the front and back bumpers which I would like to fix if at all possible without buying new bumpers.

The first issue is with the back bumper, just below the bottom edge of the boot lid. As you can see from the two images, there is no gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the boot lid edge, which has caused the boot lid paint to be completely rubbed off in two places and therefore, rusting might be an issue in the future. There is a tow bar fitted so the bumper was definitely removed at some point but it is lining up everywhere else so it doesn't seem that it's out of place. Any suggestions?
Name:  Back Bumper 1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  85.5 KB
Name:  Back Bumper 2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  133.1 KB

The second issue is with the front bumper, where the side of the bumper meets the side fender. There is a big gap between the bumper and the fender and they also don't line up properly which looks bad. There is damage to the underside of the bumper on the same side so it looks like it was previously driven onto a kerb and it pulled off a bit. Is this something that could be adjusted better?
Name:  Front Bumper.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  275.0 KB

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:07 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMW98SO View Post
Hi there,

I've recently bought a 2016 F10 520d M Sport and there are a few issues with both the front and back bumpers which I would like to fix if at all possible without buying new bumpers.

The first issue is with the back bumper, just below the bottom edge of the boot lid. As you can see from the two images, there is no gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the boot lid edge, which has caused the boot lid paint to be completely rubbed off in two places and therefore, rusting might be an issue in the future. There is a tow bar fitted so the bumper was definitely removed at some point but it is lining up everywhere else so it doesn't seem that it's out of place. Any suggestions?
This is because the rear bumper cover isn't installed correctly, and will require it to be removed...which isn't too difficult to do.

When remounting, take a look at the bumper carrier and the actual interface to the rear bumper...there is lip on the carrier that requires the mating side on the bumper cover to fit into, else the bumper cover sits on top of the lip, making it too close to the trunk lid when it's closed.

If this isn't clear, then post some pictures after your remove your bumper cover, and I'll help you marry the cover to the carrier correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:14 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMW98SO View Post
The second issue is with the front bumper, where the side of the bumper meets the side fender. There is a big gap between the bumper and the fender and they also don't line up properly which looks bad. There is damage to the underside of the bumper on the same side so it looks like it was previously driven onto a kerb and it pulled off a bit. Is this something that could be adjusted better?
Attachment 3433185

Thanks!
Your second issue is most like incorrect installation and/or a broken bumper tap in the location of your picture. To assess, you'll need to remove your front bumper.

There are many reasons why that fender/bumper cover location may not seat correctly, and more often than not, it's because, the wheelwell liner wasn't removed, and when trying to fit the bumper cover correctly, one or more mor of the lower plastic covers under the car and in the wheelwell are not properly aligned, and this location is often the LAST to be secured.

If the plastic tap is fractured or partially missing, the bumper cover can be repaired, so reach out if this is the case.....else try readjusting the bumper, after removing the wheel liner.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 02:15 PM   #4
SAMW98SO
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
This is because the rear bumper cover isn't installed correctly, and will require it to be removed...which isn't too difficult to do.

When remounting, take a look at the bumper carrier and the actual interface to the rear bumper...there is lip on the carrier that requires the mating side on the bumper cover to fit into, else the bumper cover sits on top of the lip, making it too close to the trunk lid when it's closed.

If this isn't clear, then post some pictures after your remove your bumper cover, and I'll help you marry the cover to the carrier correctly.
Thanks for the reply, I'll take the bumper off and have a look whenever I get a chance. It might be a few weeks before I get time but I'll let you what I discover, hopefully what you said is the issue and that nothing is broken.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 02:19 PM   #5
SAMW98SO
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Your second issue is most like incorrect installation and/or a broken bumper tap in the location of your picture. To assess, you'll need to remove your front bumper.

There are many reasons why that fender/bumper cover location may not seat correctly, and more often than not, it's because, the wheelwell liner wasn't removed, and when trying to fit the bumper cover correctly, one or more mor of the lower plastic covers under the car and in the wheelwell are not properly aligned, and this location is often the LAST to be secured.

If the plastic tap is fractured or partially missing, the bumper cover can be repaired, so reach out if this is the case.....else try readjusting the bumper, after removing the wheel liner.
I'll also have a look at that and get back to you when I get around to it. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0