2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum About to pull the trigger... have questions.

11-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

About to pull the trigger... have questions.

I stumbled across this site researching the 5 Series GT. My lease is up on my 6 convertible and I've been looking for something more practical... I think the GT may be it. The back end was a turnoff at first, but the more I've seen it (esp. in person) the more I've come to like it. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and have a few questions, if anyone can help with them...

1) Any packages or features you can't live without? (or conversely, that you wish you'd skipped?) In general I tend to choose cars that are pretty loaded, but the newer models have certain new features that I've never experienced first hand (land departure warning, blind spot detection, rear climate controls, etc.) which I'm not sure I need. Advice?

2) I've done a search and it looks like there aren't any GTs stateside that will come close to the configuration I'm thinking of, which means I'll likely need to custom order mine. Any advice when doing so, esp. as regards negotiating pricing?

3) I'm thinking of doing European Delivery given the cost savings, but have heard it adds significantly to the delivery time. Has anyone done it, and would you recommend it?

4) I'm having a hard time deciding on an exterior color.... almost all the photos I've found online are of the two GT-specific colors (Orion Silver and Neptune Blue). I'm leaning toward Dark Graphite, Space Gray, or maybe Titanium Silver. Anyone have some high-res photos of their car in any of these colors?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I don't have one, but am awaiting the promised diesel engine before making the plunge.

European delivery means awhile for it to be built (the same as custom ordering for stateside delivery - unless there's an uncommitted one already in the pipeline), but you put a delay in getting it back to this country. Depending on drop off point and when the ship sails, it may not be too much. An interesting option for most models, is you can take re-delivery at the facility in SC, and get a free day at the track and the night in a hotel.

The rear backup camera is probably essential, and the camera package is nice for tight corners or coming out of a parking space with no easy visibility.

Rear climate controls is likely nice if you regularly carry people back there on longer trips. Otherwise, it probably won't make much difference. If it is cold, a nicer thing might be the rear electric seat heaters which makes individual control (at least in winter) less of an issue.

Some of the other things you mentioned are probably nice to have, but are secondary to being a good driver, i.e, a backup to catch you when you get lazy. If you drive other cars, and were relying on it, it could make you a worse driver because it isn't 'standard' on all cars. It's just hard to see out the small back window when backing, so the addition of the camera is a really nice thing. Being able to see up the road on a blind corner is nice without having to poke your nose out so far it gets clipped off. So, I consider these primary safety add-ons.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs View Post
In general I tend to choose cars that are pretty loaded, but the newer models have certain new features that I've never experienced first hand (land departure warning, blind spot detection, rear climate controls, etc.) which I'm not sure I need. Advice?
They may be fast,but LAND departure warning !! You won't need this,and if you do you'll need the optional parachute package!
Seriously,the cameras I find very useful,also the auto tailgate.
Good luck,I don't think you will regret it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
I stumbled across this site researching the 5 Series GT. My lease is up on my 6 convertible and I've been looking for something more practical... I think the GT may be it. The back end was a turnoff at first, but the more I've seen it (esp. in person) the more I've come to like it. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and have a few questions, if anyone can help with them...

1) Any packages or features you can't live without? (or conversely, that you wish you'd skipped?) In general I tend to choose cars that are pretty loaded, but the newer models have certain new features that I've never experienced first hand (land departure warning, blind spot detection, rear climate controls, etc.) which I'm not sure I need. Advice?

2) I've done a search and it looks like there aren't any GTs stateside that will come close to the configuration I'm thinking of, which means I'll likely need to custom order mine. Any advice when doing so, esp. as regards negotiating pricing?

3) I'm thinking of doing European Delivery given the cost savings, but have heard it adds significantly to the delivery time. Has anyone done it, and would you recommend it?

4) I'm having a hard time deciding on an exterior color.... almost all the photos I've found online are of the two GT-specific colors (Orion Silver and Neptune Blue). I'm leaning toward Dark Graphite, Space Gray, or maybe Titanium Silver. Anyone have some high-res photos of their car in any of these colors?

Thanks!
I've had my Titanium Silver 550i GT in Chicago since July. Previously had a 335i convertible in Silicon Valley. If you are coming from a 6 Series convertible suggest:
Essential: rear camera
Almost essential: dynamic handling
Really great: head-up display, driver assistance, premium sound, comfort access, convenience, sport package
Disappointing: active ventilated seats (expected more)
Wish I had ordered: active cruise control
      12-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
Personally, I think the Nappa Seats are well worth it. I think the essential items are premium sound, 4zone climate, camera package, sport package/dynamic handling, HUD, Convenience Package, and Driver Assistance. I went beyond that with Night Vision, Ceramic Conrtols, Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Rear Entertainment and phone prep. my car is dark graphite metalic. You can see photos in my album.

This is definitely a car you spec to your liking.

Welcome to the dark-side LOL
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I'm closing in on my configuration... currently thinking of:

550i GT
Dark Graphite (Sophisto Grey) Metallic
Ivory White and Black Nappa Leather
Fineline Matte Wood Trim
Sport Package
Cold Weather Package
Camera Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Convenience Package
Premium Sound Package
Active Ventilated Seat Package
4-zone automatic climate control
Power side window shades
Integral active steering
Heads-up control

On the fence on:

Driver Assistance Package (Active blind spot detection, land departure warning, automatic high beams)
Euro Delivery

One question: on the 7 and 5 sedans, the 4-zone/rear climate control packages include additional vents in the pillars between the front and back doors. Is this true of the 5 GT as well, or does it just include the vents in behind the center console/armrest?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Twenties
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Gran Turismo 550i

Smile

I did Euro Delivery. Checkout my options in my signature and photos in my album.

2010 BMW GT 550i (F07) Euro Delivery
Blue/wht+blk/ceramic. Spt pkg+20, Seat, Camera.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenties View Post
I did Euro Delivery. Checkout my options in my signature and photos in my album.
Nice pics! Looks like they give you the VIP treatment for Euro Delivery... Is that Imperial Blue? I've been vacillating between it and graphite/sophisto grey. I think these are the first real-world photos of Imperial Blue I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
E60toF07
Rep
Drives: E60Xi

Quote:
One question: on the 7 and 5 sedans, the 4-zone/rear climate control packages include additional vents in the pillars between the front and back doors. Is this true of the 5 GT as well, or does it just include the vents in behind the center console/armrest?

Thanks!
I think so. I found it when ordered mine 5GT Sophisto :-)
But added 4-zone climate in last minute.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm closing in on my configuration... currently thinking of:

550i GT
Fineline Matte Wood Trim
Sport Package
Cold Weather Package
Camera Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Convenience Package
Premium Sound Package
Power side window shades
Integral active steering
Heads-up control

On the fence on:

Driver Assistance Package (Active blind spot detection, land departure warning, automatic high beams)
Euro Delivery

Thanks!

Yes there are addtional vents (1 each side) in the B pillars of the GT.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Perfect, thanks! Seems like there would be little point to the option if there weren't extra vents.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Another question: does the active blind spot detector in the driver assistance package work at night?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

If it didn't, it wouldn't be very useful! My guess is it's radar (which might really p....off those with radar detectors, but it could be ultrasonic, not as reliable). Don't know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
Quote:

550i GT
Fineline Matte Wood Trim
Sport Package
Cold Weather Package
Camera Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Convenience Package
Premium Sound Package
Power side window shades
Integral active steering
Heads-up control

On the fence on:

Euro Delivery

Thanks!

comfort seats (option you must have)
look at antrasit ask wood trim
panorama roof
soft close doors
rear back camera
el. trunck.
dynamic head lamps.

camara pack I never use becase it have park censor in front an back.
nappa leather are not as strog over time as dakota leather.
I love dakota black and antrasit ask wood. induvidual antrasit roof liner.
look at mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Having lived in the desert, I'll put up with the more visible soil of a lighter interior! I've owned two cars with black interiors, and even in more temperate climes, it's just too hot getting in there after sitting in the sun all day.

Audi had a warm climate option you don't see too often...the sunroof was a solar panel and powered the ventilation in the summer, and trickle charged the batteries in the winter. Haven't seen that on BMW (but then haven't followed it that closely). Then, black might work out!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Another question: does the active blind spot detector in the driver assistance package work at night?
Yes, it does, only when your car is above 50km/h. It utilizes two radar sensors below the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Eddie Reed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i GT

We have the drivers assist package and would not buy another car without these features. The lane departure and the blind spot detection are well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I decided to go with the driver's assistance program. I don't really do enough freeway driving to make use of the lane departure warning, but I hate driving at night so the active blind spot detection should come in handy. Order placed today... 2-3 month wait begins!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
johnnyutah
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT xdrive

Additonal Questions

I'm about to pull the trigger as well....would love any additional feedback you would care to share.

There is a 550i GT at a dealer lot I have been looking at the last week. Have a few questions regarding the vehicle.

#1. The color is Black Sapphire Metallic. Unfortunately the two times I have been able to go to the dealer it has been raining. I want to see the color in the sunshine. Does anyone own a GT in BSM? I think I like the color but concerned about swirl marks with a black car.

#2. The GT pretty much has every package except the Dynamic Handling Package. Will I really miss not having a "comfort" mode?

#3. It has the 20" wheels. Thinking of going with the 19" because I like the rims that come with the 19" ones better. Any pro's or con's to switching?

#4. Currently live in LA but going to move to Chicago at some point in the near future. Is rear wheel drive a horrible choice? Should I go for the x-drive?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #20
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger as well....would love any additional feedback you would care to share.

There is a 550i GT at a dealer lot I have been looking at the last week. Have a few questions regarding the vehicle.

#1. The color is Black Sapphire Metallic. Unfortunately the two times I have been able to go to the dealer it has been raining. I want to see the color in the sunshine. Does anyone own a GT in BSM? I think I like the color but concerned about swirl marks with a black car.

#2. The GT pretty much has every package except the Dynamic Handling Package. Will I really miss not having a "comfort" mode?

#3. It has the 20" wheels. Thinking of going with the 19" because I like the rims that come with the 19" ones better. Any pro's or con's to switching?

#4. Currently live in LA but going to move to Chicago at some point in the near future. Is rear wheel drive a horrible choice? Should I go for the x-drive?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Is the car you are looking at a 2010 or 2011? If it is a 2010, and the car has the sport package with the 20inch rims it might also have "DHP" as a part of the sport package. I belive my car was built in 11/09 at that time the sport package was all inclusive with the exception of the 20 inch rims. I would'nt say "downsizing" will give you any issues with the exception of looks which is a subjective matter. The car may ride smoother due to the taller side wall height of the 19 inch rims/tires .

In LA you don't need xdrive unless you hit the slopes regularly, even then its still not really required - snow tires should suffice. However, Chicago is another matter, and perhaps xDrive wouldn't be a bad choice. My 2 cents of course
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #21
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

If you are possibly moving to Chicago strongly suggest X-Drive.

I came from Silicon Valley and am glad I did.

I also took the 20" rims but last week bought a second set of 19" rims with winter tires after being convinced the summer tires would be a nightmare in the snow. Very, very glad I took that approach given the weather we are now experiencing!
      12-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #22
johnnyutah
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT xdrive

Thank you very much for the feedback Car Fan and relic! Not sure if the car is a 2010 or 2011. It was assembled in Sept. but I'm not sure what the cut off is for it to be considered a '10 or '11. Going to the dealer again today so I'll ask that question as well as the DHP inclusion with the Sports Package. Would love to pull the trigger on the one at the lot...but it might make more sense to order what I want/might need (xDrive specifically). The two to three month wait sounds like forever though!
Appreciate 0