2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Water Spots...?

01-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
johnnyutah
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT xdrive

Water Spots...?

I have the Dark Graphite and it seems to produce water spots easily. ...and they are not the easiest blemishes to get off. Anyone else experience water spot issues on their cars? Not sure if it's this paint color or just the paint job on the GT in general. Also, any product recommendations on removing them? Don't want to use a paint cleaner every month...assume that is not good for the paint either.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Do you have hard water? Do you wash the car in the sun? High desert can be a nasty environment for a car, and if it is waxed well, beads of water can act like lenses and do a number on paint. You need to dry the thing off quickly after washing. A rinse agent might help the rinse water sheet off verses beading up, and that might help. A water softener would also help, if you don't have one. Are you near a power plant? Acid rain or ash deposits can cause pitting as well. Doubt it is a BMW issue, but a combination of the color and environment.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I feel your frustration and I have eliminated water spots but piggy backing off of what jadnashuanh suggested.

1. Dont wash car in sun, period.
2. Use a proper car wash product.
3. Dry car completely when finished. I keep the car wet, I wash my F10 in 5 segments but after each segment is complete I rinse the previous segment, as soon as I am finished washing the car I dry with a good drying cloth. I am a big fan of Swissvax and its products, the towel I use that performs amazing can be found on amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Swissvax-SE109.../dp/B006D9EBDO. Be sure to use towel wet!
4. Lastly, keep in the garage when not driving, always.

Hope this helps some, it has worked for me.
      01-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
johnnyutah
Rep

Thank you so much for the input guys. Appreciate it!

Unfortunately I have recently moved and I cannot tend to my car as much as I would like. I have to park on the street and I think my overall issue stems from there. Often times I'm parked under a tree as well. I live in California so the sun is hitting the car most of the time....I'm sure the pollution here doesn't help either. I try keeping wax on it and hoped that would help fend off the water spots but to no avail. Didn't realize beading could act as a magnifier...bet that is yet another added issue. Keeping the car wet through the washing process is a great idea...I will definitely start doing that!

Any products you might recommend to remove the water spots? Not sure I'd trust myself with a clay bar and I'm very hesitant to use a cleaning compound on a car only a year old.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
johnnyutah
Rep

Oh, and jadnashuanh, what sort of rinse agent do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Geez, some pretty bad variables.

No garage, street parking with all that being thrown at it, I would just let it be and get a good professional detail every quarter. In my opinion that is the only option.

Best of luck but I would start looking for your enjoyment behind the wheel instead of outside looking in.
      01-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
johnnyutah
Rep

Ha! Thanks Delvek. Behind the wheel is definitely where the enjoyment should be...just always feel so much more enjoyable when the car is looking good

Hopefully 2012 will be the year I can start garage parking again!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

There are some devices that attach to the hose and mix in stuff to help with rinsing. I've not tried them, so can't comment on how well they work. Acid rain can litereally pit the paint fairly quickly, and tree sap and bird droppings are nasty as well. Luckily, I can park my vehicle in a garage, but that doesn't mean I get to wash it as frequently as I should!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
xgentryx
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi GT

Any opinions on Cilajet product that many dealers are offering? Would it help with this? I know instinct is to say just wash and wax car yourself frequently, but if that's not an option and not a great detailer close by.... Is it worth getting?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
gmblack3
Paint Polishing Perfection
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335is '12 535i GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentryma1 View Post
Any opinions on Cilajet product that many dealers are offering? Would it help with this? I know instinct is to say just wash and wax car yourself frequently, but if that's not an option and not a great detailer close by.... Is it worth getting?

You want a detailer who can apply a coating like opti-coat or Cquartz. The sealants that the dealers apply only last a few months.

DJ Mayo is a high end detailer in your area and has experience with opti-coat:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/author/dj-mayo/
Appreciate 0