2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Uk F11 adaptive headlamps, can I swap to L/H

07-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Stewie griffin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMWs all the way baby

Question Uk F11 adaptive headlamps, can I swap to L/H

Hi I'm travelling to France in my F10. I need to divert my beams to suit LHD so I don't blind any of our Gallic friends. Tried the manual but I don't think it's possible. Any ideas or is it back to stickers on the lens covers
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Martyn.Simm
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i M-Sport (F10)

I dint think you have too as the beam is flat so won't blind any on coming traffic. Contact your dealer to confirm this but sure that is the case.
Think this has also been confirmed on this site.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
AdamF11
Rep
Drives: F11 520D on order

Russell B

I live in Belgium with a UK RHD F11 which has been exported. I have the Visibility package on my car. When i collected the car they did not know how to adjust the lights. Recently when back in the UK I took the car in for a problem with wiper blades knocking on drivers side windscreen pillar. They stated that you should not use the Auto lights function and just turn the headllights on manually. This means the lights are a flat beam (they look the same as Auto to me!!!) .
I am not totally convinced as had a few truckers flash me through France. Also not sure how to explain it if I get pulled over by the police.
I don't think you can use Beam benders on Xenon headlights.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Stewie griffin
United Kingdom
Rep

When I took my f11 I really P1$$ed off a few French truckers and don't really want this with my family.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Stewie griffin
United Kingdom
Rep

Given they have motors on them I can't see there being 2 parts for lh and rh?

New mission me thinks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

A recent product update bulletin said manual adjustment lever is deleted & u should just rtfm.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Loooking at the parts on realoem.com .... everything seems the same for L and RHD

M
      07-20-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell b View Post
Hi I'm travelling to France in my F10. I need to divert my beams to suit LHD so I don't blind any of our Gallic friends. Tried the manual but I don't think it's possible. Any ideas or is it back to stickers on the lens covers
I have an 09/10 F11 with adaptive Xenons and I spent an hour trying to follow the manual with regard to adjusting the headlights to LHD. The diagrams in the manual bore no resemblance to my car! Anyway searching through various forums I eventually found someone with the same problem. He had been informed by BMW that production of the F10 / 11 had changed and that the beam pattern on cars built from late 2011 is now flat and so adjustment from/to LHD/RHD is no longer necessary. Unfortunately it appears some of the manuals had not been altered in time, hence the incorrect instructions.

I've tried to find this post for you but failed I'm afraid. However I'm sure your dealer, or BMW GB, should by now be able the clarify the situation. Slightly off topic but when I contacted BMW about the legality of not having a spare tyre while driving in Spain - a spare being required by law in that country - BMW GB provided me with a copy of letter from the Spanish Government (in Spanish and English) that I could produce if stopped by the Spanish police confirming that cars fitted with RFTs and without a spare are now legal in Spain. So if worried perhaps BMW GB could help you out with a similar confirmation about your headlights?

Good luck and have a good trip.

Last edited by Snapper Chris; 07-20-2011 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
SilentHawk
England
Rep
Drives: 520D M Sport

I took my 2008 E60 with visibility pack (adaptive xenons etc.) to France and a few other Euro countries and had no problems - the beam did appear flat, even with the auto-lights setting switched on. It looks the same on my F10 with visibility pack. Maybe the LH / RH levers are only on the halogens ?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

I think with the advent of features such as high beam assist, the lights can be programmed to automatically sense which side the oncoming traffic is so that the beam pattern is adjusted automatically on the fly.
AFAIK a asymmetric beam pattern is still the legal requirement but probably this rule is waived with these xenons which can adjsut beam patterns.
Appreciate 0