2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Input on lease deal

10-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
lolshorts
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M-Sport

Input on lease deal

Here is what they've offered:

2011 535xi
M-Sport
Premium Package
Premium Package 2
Sport transmission with shift panels
Heads up display

MSRP $68,825

Selling Price $60,230

Residual based on 58%
3 Year lease
10,000 miles

$4,187 due at signing (incl. sales tax)
$750 per month

Input is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

So the car will cost you a bit over $71k - are you OK with that?

They love to make leases confusing so they sucker you in with a good sales price, a reasonable monthly payment and a high downpayment.

So do the numbers.

Take the monthly payments, add your down payment and add the residual. Add all that up and you have the total cost of your car.

Another way to look at it is to take your monthly payments (36x750) and add the down for at total of about 31200 or "real" monthly payments of $866.66 a month.

Are you OK with spending $10k a year for your car? That's about $1 a mile.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Well, I disagree that the total cost of his car includes the residual. Why? Because he is under no obligation to purchase the car. Thus, his only obligation here is for the downpayment and the monthly.

Next, you make an excellent point when you combine the downpayment with the monthly payments total to compute the cost of the car.

The bottom line is never put money down on a lease. It usually saves you nothing since the extra in the monthly lease payment will end up nearly equaling the down payment.

Plus, if you total the car during the lease then you will lose your downpayment.

Adding a downpayment fools you into thinking you are getting a better deal. It is just an illusion. Put the downpayment in the bank and subsidize your monthly payments over the duration of the lease and you get to keep use of the money got a longer period. And you won't lose all of this money if you total the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
So the car will cost you a bit over $71k - are you OK with that?

They love to make leases confusing so they sucker you in with a good sales price, a reasonable monthly payment and a high downpayment.

So do the numbers.

Take the monthly payments, add your down payment and add the residual. Add all that up and you have the total cost of your car.

Another way to look at it is to take your monthly payments (36x750) and add the down for at total of about 31200 or "real" monthly payments of $866.66 a month.

Are you OK with spending $10k a year for your car? That's about $1 a mile.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, I disagree that the total cost of his car includes the residual. Why? Because he is under no obligation to purchase the car. Thus, his only obligation here is for the downpayment and the monthly.

Next, you make an excellent point when you combine the downpayment with the monthly payments total to compute the cost of the car.

The bottom line is never put money down on a lease. It usually saves you nothing since the extra in the monthly lease payment will end up nearly equaling the down payment.

Plus, if you total the car during the lease then you will lose your downpayment.

Adding a downpayment fools you into thinking you are getting a better deal. It is just an illusion. Put the downpayment in the bank and subsidize your monthly payments over the duration of the lease and you get to keep use of the money got a longer period. And you won't lose all of this money if you total the car.
You make a really good point about the down payment. I guess I got sucked into thinking it would make a difference. I was trying to get the payment down to under a specific amount so I wouldn't have a huge payment showing up on my credit. I'm not sure how much that would have really hurt me anyways, just a fear of seeing a massive payment I guess. I handed them 6K at signing (though I did put it on a credit card and did get 1.5% cash back). I should have just kept it in the bank and payed down from it.

Next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 911, 16 Range Rover

Just got a email from BMW NA where they are offering $2500 credit to test drive. Can you use that credit?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
hyliu24
NYC F10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolshorts View Post
Here is what they've offered:

2011 535xi
M-Sport