2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Wait Time for BMW Individual

11-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Wait Time for BMW Individual

Ordered a 550i with Individual interior (leather and trim) this past weekend. Was told by the dealer that it would probably take ~ 6 weeks for the car to start production given the Individual interior and then another 3 months for production and shipping.

Can anyone tell me if these durations sound reasonable based on your experience?

Last edited by drlonline; 11-10-2014 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Hobbe74
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F10 on order

To my knowledge, as a former BMW Corporate sales employee, I'd say it's normal
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

should of get an ///M4 to my opinion, thinking about selling my 12 f10 550i MSport.
      11-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyroz View Post
should of get an ///M4 to my opinion, thinking about selling my 12 f10 550i MSport.
How is this relevant to the question asked?

The OP's situation may require a larger car than the M4, kids traveling in the back, or maybe they just LIKE the 550i better... they're two VERY different cars. Your statement is like saying, "you should have bought a house-boat instead of a condo" - the M4 isn't being cross-shopped by most people considering a 550.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
How is this relevant to the question asked?

The OP's situation may require a larger car than the M4, kids traveling in the back, or maybe they just LIKE the 550i better... they're two VERY different cars. Your statement is like saying, "you should have bought a house-boat instead of a condo" - the M4 isn't being cross-shopped by most people considering a 550.
Lol, i guess if you're a family man than 550i would be your best choice, but I shouldn't have bought the 550i, no kid or wife, i'm regretting it now...
damn car is too big, i'm the only 1 who's driving it, and talking about gas. I should of though it first when I bought it, oh well at lease packing some of your buddy sometime cool
      11-11-2014, 01:33 AM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyroz View Post
Lol, i guess if you're a family man than 550i would be your best choice, but I shouldn't have bought the 550i, no kid or wife, i'm regretting it now...
damn car is too big, i'm the only 1 who's driving it, and talking about gas. I should of though it first when I bought it, oh well at lease packing some of your buddy sometime cool
Carefully considered decision then
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

The duration sounds pretty normal. It's kind of cool knowing the car is being built just for you from "the get-go". 😊
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Ordered a 550i with Individual interior (leather and trim) this past weekend. Was told by the dealer that it would probably take ~ 6 weeks for the car to start production given the Individual interior and then another 3 months for production and shipping.

Can anyone tell me if these durations sound reasonable based on your experience?
I wrote a check to my dealer on July 7, 2014 for my 535d and I STILL don't have my car. I asked about opting for the individual red sycamore trim and was told that would SUBSTANTIALLY slow down the process.

I'm out 5 months as it is.... imagine if I ordered the individual wood?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I wrote a check to my dealer on July 7, 2014 for my 535d and I STILL don't have my car. I asked about opting for the individual red sycamore trim and was told that would SUBSTANTIALLY slow down the process.

I had a F10 and I just got a F33... It's not for me Thinking of ordering a 535d Individual - Must have alcantara headliner

How long do you think the wait might be if I'm ordering ED late December?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Waited 8 Months for a 3 Series with Individual paint and the factory is only 1,5 hours away from here, so no shipping lag involved.

They do them in batches, so you could be lucky and get it quicker or just miss the batch and have to wait till the next.

The build time is the regular 2 to 3 days depending on the hold time in the factory buffers.
      11-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
I had a F10 and I just got a F33... It's not for me Thinking of ordering a 535d Individual - Must have alcantara headliner

I've have the alcantara headliner and I took delivery 6 weeks after ordering it.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |

Last edited by remmib; 11-12-2014 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Same for me, alcantara headlining ( and no other indiviudal options) didn't add to my delivery time
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:

Well, that has me worried. I did order the individual wood but was not told of any extra long delay, just the normal time waiting for individual interior. Anyone else hear anything about longer delays for the individual wood?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
dchartier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

That was how long it took to get my custom-ordered 550i in late-2012.
      11-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I'm not sure. The dealer (and BMW corporate) are telling me that the diesel allocations are very thin.... for some reason they are not sending a lot of diesels into the US. Makes no sense since BMW has been begging the US market to move towards the oil burner... even offering incentives to do so.

Honestly the MSport gives you the black anthracite headliner and Nappa leather. Paying a huge premium for a different color this or that is silly. I mean after a month or two its just a car for the next 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Well, that has me worried. I did order the individual wood but was not told of any extra long delay, just the normal time waiting for individual interior. Anyone else hear anything about longer delays for the individual wood?
It wasnt the wood... it was just ANY individual upgrade. I'm picking up my car tomorrow, in the sleet and snow. I'm thinking this is going to be a really nice call. Time will tell.....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly the MSport gives you the black anthracite headliner and Nappa leather. Paying a huge premium for a different color this or that is silly. I mean after a month or two its just a car for the next 3 years.
Even the normal Sport gives you the black anthracite headliner in the F10. I had it in my previous one. Its nice, but the alcantara headliner is total different. That's more like suede and normally only found on M's and very high end cars. For me it takes the car to a whole new level. I'd go so far as saying I prefer having it over premium wheels because its something I'd see every time while driving.

But I am pretty tall so many I just notice headliners more because I'm closer to them?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #18
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Even the normal Sport gives you the black anthracite headliner in the F10. I had it in my previous one. Its nice, but the alcantara headliner is total different. That's more like suede and normally only found on M's and very high end cars. For me it takes the car to a whole new level. I'd go so far as saying I prefer having it over premium wheels because its something I'd see every time while driving.

But I am pretty tall so many I just notice headliners more because I'm closer to them?
Wondering how you are liking your 428 vert? I bought a "13 because I really wanted to own one of the last non turbo sixes, the old steering, and previous model styling.... but the new 4 series convertible is sweet!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #19
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wondering how you are liking your 428 vert? I bought a "13 because I really wanted to own one of the last non turbo sixes, the old steering, and previous model styling.... but the new 4 series convertible is sweet!
Yeah the new F33 is very good looking and the power top is miles above the previous generation. The heated neck warmers are a MUST and I use them almost daily. The 2.0 Bi-Turbo is far better than the previous inline 6. I had this dilemma when I ordered my F10 with this same engine back in '12. The 6 is classic BMW but you can't argue with how good the new 4 cylinders are. That said, I thought my F10's 4 cylinder sounded like a diesel and the auto start and stop was rough. In the F33 it's the same engine but far better. They've really improved the sound and rough start issues. I would absolutely buy the 28 engine again and I hear next year its getting even better.

As for the convertible itself; it's sporty and fun but not for me. Coming from an '12 F10 there is a noticeable difference in quality of materials and the ride. This isn't really a surprise, they're very different cars. But for the same money (in my case both cars were within $500), I enjoyed the F10 more day to day.

I swamped the wheels and trim in the F33 and I get a lot of attention. I feel its too flashy and its not really what I was going for. The F10 got a lot of attention too but in a different way. 9/10 times when I valeted my F10 it was parked out front. It was a 528 and not particularity expensive by any means but it had a classic luxury look. This doesn't happen with the F33 but instead the attention comes from driving it. I get a lot of looks driving top down. Yeah a lot of time it's dudes but also a noticeable increase in ladies looking over For me... right now... I don't need that and I don't need flashy.

At the end of the day it comes down to driving experience and for me the F10 was more comfortable and less effort to enjoy. The F33 is a very good car but I think the F10 is a great one.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #20
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:

While I can certainly appreciate the finer touches to an interior, I'm keenly aware the price I'm paying for it. I'm willing to make some sacrifices on a daily driver that are purely indulgences without a lick of utilitarian value. For example, the active seats in my car are indulgences, but they still have some utility, even if used infrequently. But the headliner? I prefer not to touch my headliner - don't want to get it dirty. So, whatever it's made out of really doesn't matter much to me in that case, as I'm not likely to touch it or find any true value in it. On a fun/weekend car you intend to keep? Sure, deck it out with all the luxury bits befitting it. On the DD that will need to be traded every X years? I'd put the money into options that will bring you utility - as well as hold value for the car (read: valuable to the next buyer).
Appreciate 0