2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Need help installing BMS N63TU tune on my 14 550i

06-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #23
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli550 View Post
What octane are you running and do you have any other engine mods?
All I have is a tune with muffler delete. I run 93 octane.
The car pulls like a freight train!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #24
ARC550
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I'm wondering how long until you'll need new turbos though? This needs to be seriously pushing the PSI of turbo boost.
The car handles it no problem. I drive it like I stole it evey single day. I have never gone into limp mode. This is a 4.3L v8 with 3 turbos. This thing can take it no problem! And if anything does happen simply remove the plug in play and bring to dealer (warranty) durfff
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #25
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550
Quote:
What octane are you running and do you have any other engine mods?
All I have is a tune with muffler delete. I run 93 octane.
The car pulls like a freight train!
Just like me... Minus the 93 octane lol... Are you using octane boosters or 93 pump? What do you think of Torco Accelerator Octane Booster?
      06-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #26
ARC550
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just like me... Minus the 93 octane lol... Are you using octane boosters or 93 pump? What do you think of Torco Accelerator Octane Booster?
Crank that boost!
I have used race gas at the track along with torco and believe it or not the car is not any faster. The best results I have gotten at the track/dyno are with 93 octane only. I guess I never gave car time to adjust to race fuel since this is not a real tune.. Anyway.
Our cars 2014+ adjust to any and all changes the car makes and adapts. That is why we can crank that dial. Big POWa!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #27
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@eli550,
Hi, I am BMS dealer and I am local to you. Let me know if you still need help in installing them.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
@eli550,
Hi, I am BMS dealer and I am local to you. Let me know if you still need help in installing them.
Thanks! I'm picking mine up today and I think I should be fine it seems much more simple than other tunes.
      07-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #29
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Crank that boost!
I have used race gas at the track along with torco and believe it or not the car is not any faster. The best results I have gotten at the track/dyno are with 93 octane only. I guess I never gave car time to adjust to race fuel since this is not a real tune.. Anyway.
Our cars 2014+ adjust to any and all changes the car makes and adapts. That is why we can crank that dial. Big POWa!
I can't get 93 octane.. All I have here is 91. Do you think I can run 91 and have it at 12 o'clock setting?
      07-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #30
ARC550
Major
Rep

i would deff run it at the 12 setting or even the 1 o'clock setting.

Order a dozen octane boosters for like $60 and crank that !
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #31
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
The car handles it no problem. I drive it like I stole it evey single day. I have never gone into limp mode. This is a 4.3L v8 with 3 turbos. This thing can take it no problem! And if anything does happen simply remove the plug in play and bring to dealer (warranty) durfff
Well, my car has .1L more of displacement with 1 less turbo.

I'd be careful with how far you push it. I bought a new '07 N54 335 when they first launched, and everyone was very gung-ho about pushing the turbos on that engine well beyond their specified max PSI with tunes, too. A few years down the road, I don't need to tell you how many blown turbo threads blessed the Internet.

Like most mechanically engineered components, the turbos are capable of X PSI, but they're designed for sustained use at something far less. Each one of those turns of the dial is adding more pressure (I'm curious how much - haven't been able to find the info on the BMS site) - many threads on N54tech (Terry @ BMS' own thread there) regarding the danger of pushing the PSI higher than recommended, however. The 11 o'clock position is what appears to be recommended for a stock car (which you'd presumably be running on nothing less than 91 octane). At the 12 o'clock position, the instructions state you should have a high flow exhaust and 93 octane. The 1 o'clock position is reserved for racing fuel. The 2, 3, and 4 o'clock positions aren't even discussed in the instruction manual.

So, I can only imagine (and maybe someone here has specifics) that the 3 o'clock position you're using is probably reserved for cars with much more serious modifications. It looks to me, from what I can gather of the BMS documentation, that the "standard" boost to PSI over stock is roughly +2.25 PSI, and +3 PSI is recommended with racing gas mix. You're likely pushing something much higher out at the 3 o'clock position... +5, +6? Who knows, maybe something even more. I have no doubt that'll add some serious performance, but I can only imagine the strain you're putting on those stock components.

Lastly, I'm not so sure I'd rely on removing the JB and heading to the dealer for warranty coverage if you blow your turbos. BMW seems to be getting ever-more sophisticated with their on-board diagnostics, and pretty much everything appears to be "logged" these days as far as engine controls. I have no insight to substantiate the claim, but I wouldn't be surprised if the car is capturing information like the turbocharger's boost/PSI levels... so if they're operating well above what the factory settings, and you walk in with collateral damage, it may not be hard to put two-and-two together. Again, I don't know in reality what they may or may not be logging, but I'd only suggest that they're likely clever enough to identify damage done by operating far outside the normal parameters.

I'd play it safe and keep it to what Terry recommends. After all, they've done quite a bit of testing of their own product. I wouldn't want to blow up a new 550 only to be denied warranty coverage, either. Ouch!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #32
ARC550
Major
Rep

Ouch I mean 2 Turbos! not 3 lol. Also the car is actully 4.3L not 4.4L. Check out the specs

I understand where you are coming from.. but when you car is leased and your tune is simple 30 seconds remove and install. I see no reason why you cant crank it! It is undetectable.

Also, This engine has been in BMW's lineup since the early 90s. I think they know what they are doing if they continue to use it to this day! with some minor modifications of course lol Its a ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Well, my car has .1L more of displacement with 1 less turbo.

I'd be careful with how far you push it. I bought a new '07 N54 335 when they first launched, and everyone was very gung-ho about pushing the turbos on that engine well beyond their specified max PSI with tunes, too. A few years down the road, I don't need to tell you how many blown turbo threads blessed the Internet.

Like most mechanically engineered components, the turbos are capable of X PSI, but they're designed for sustained use at something far less. Each one of those turns of the dial is adding more pressure (I'm curious how much - haven't been able to find the info on the BMS site) - many threads on N54tech (Terry @ BMS' own thread there) regarding the danger of pushing the PSI higher than recommended, however. The 11 o'clock position is what appears to be recommended for a stock car (which you'd presumably be running on nothing less than 91 octane). At the 12 o'clock position, the instructions state you should have a high flow exhaust and 93 octane. The 1 o'clock position is reserved for racing fuel. The 2, 3, and 4 o'clock positions aren't even discussed in the instruction manual.

So, I can only imagine (and maybe someone here has specifics) that the 3 o'clock position you're using is probably reserved for cars with much more serious modifications. It looks to me, from what I can gather of the BMS documentation, that the "standard" boost to PSI over stock is roughly +2.25 PSI, and +3 PSI is recommended with racing gas mix. You're likely pushing something much higher out at the 3 o'clock position... +5, +6? Who knows, maybe something even more. I have no doubt that'll add some serious performance, but I can only imagine the strain you're putting on those stock components.

Lastly, I'm not so sure I'd rely on removing the JB and heading to the dealer for warranty coverage if you blow your turbos. BMW seems to be getting ever-more sophisticated with their on-board diagnostics, and pretty much everything appears to be "logged" these days as far as engine controls. I have no insight to substantiate the claim, but I wouldn't be surprised if the car is capturing information like the turbocharger's boost/PSI levels... so if they're operating well above what the factory settings, and you walk in with collateral damage, it may not be hard to put two-and-two together. Again, I don't know in reality what they may or may not be logging, but I'd only suggest that they're likely clever enough to identify damage done by operating far outside the normal parameters.

I'd play it safe and keep it to what Terry recommends. After all, they've done quite a bit of testing of their own product. I wouldn't want to blow up a new 550 only to be denied warranty coverage, either. Ouch!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #33
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ouch I mean 2 Turbos! not 3 lol. Also the car is actully 4.3L not 4.4L. Check out the specs

I understand where you are coming from.. but when you car is leased and your tune is simple 30 seconds remove and install. I see no reason why you cant crank it! It is undetectable.

Also, This engine has been in BMW's lineup since the early 90s. I think they know what they are doing if they continue to use it to this day! with some minor modifications of course lol Its a ROCK!
Displacement is 4395cc ~ 4.4L. What am I missing?

The N63TU is also new as of 2012, and is only based upon the N63, which was new as of 2008. Prior to that, all BMW V8's were naturally aspirated. The N54, introduced with the 335 in 2007, was the first turbocharged engine BMW had made in decades.

So, yes BMW has been making V8's for some time now, but the N63/N63TU, as a turbocharged engine, is a whole different ball of wax. Case in point? BMW's bread-and-butter has been the inline-6 for decades. But the N54 had more problems than any BMW I-6 in history. Understandably, it was BMW's entrance back into turbocharging - a grand experiment. In fact, it drew the attention of a class action lawsuit (which was won) against BMW. The N55 quickly "corrected" much of what was wrong with the N54.

While clearly BMW's direction is turbocharging, I'd also keep in mind that they haven't been at it very long now. And as seen with the N54, past reliability of any naturally aspirated engine isn't an indication of how reliable the turbocharged engines will be. All in all, I don't think the N63 was winning any awards for reliability - and while I hope the N63TU will be better in that department (as I own one!), time will tell.

So, my only point here really is that you're pushing the engine well beyond what it was designed-for, and then additionally you're pushing it beyond what the tune manufacturer (BMS) is recommending... probably by a significant factor. After all, at 3 o'clock, you're 4 clicks beyond the recommended setting, or nearly a 100% increase over the recommended setting assuming the clicks are linearly dialing-in boost. I wouldn't count on the engine being a "rock" as a countermeasure, either - as it's not been the reputation of the N63, and likely won't be the reputation of the N63TU either. I also wouldn't count on your behavior being "undetectable" to BMW. Again, I don't know this for sure, but they seem to log a LOT of information on engine performance. I would have a hard time believing they're not logging information about the amount of boost being produced by the turbos, especially if they're also logging misfire events, etc. And if the engine was damaged (e.g. you blow your turbos), would they not correlate the unnaturally high levels of boost and deduce you were using a tune? I don't know. It's a big risk that could cost you a lot of money if you're on the wrong side of that gamble.

In any case, I understand your enthusiasm, and it sounds like you're having a complete blast with it - that's a complete monster at those hp/tq ratings! Best of luck with it!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #34
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass
Quote:

Displacement is 4395cc ~ 4.4L. What am I missing?

The N63TU is also new as of 2012, and is only based upon the N63, which was new as of 2008. Prior to that, all BMW V8's were naturally aspirated. The N54, introduced with the 335 in 2007, was the first turbocharged engine BMW had made in decades.

So, yes BMW has been making V8's for some time now, but the N63/N63TU, as a turbocharged engine, is a whole different ball of wax. Case in point? BMW's bread-and-butter has been the inline-6 for decades. But the N54 had more problems than any BMW I-6 in history. Understandably, it was BMW's entrance back into turbocharging - a grand experiment. In fact, it drew the attention of a class action lawsuit (which was won) against BMW. The N55 quickly "corrected" much of what was wrong with the N54.

While clearly BMW's direction is turbocharging, I'd also keep in mind that they haven't been at it very long now. And as seen with the N54, past reliability of any naturally aspirated engine isn't an indication of how reliable the turbocharged engines will be. All in all, I don't think the N63 was winning any awards for reliability - and while I hope the N63TU will be better in that department (as I own one!), time will tell.

So, my only point here really is that you're pushing the engine well beyond what it was designed-for, and then additionally you're pushing it beyond what the tune manufacturer (BMS) is recommending... probably by a significant factor. After all, at 3 o'clock, you're 4 clicks beyond the recommended setting, or nearly a 100% increase over the recommended setting assuming the clicks are linearly dialing-in boost. I wouldn't count on the engine being a "rock" as a countermeasure, either - as it's not been the reputation of the N63, and likely won't be the reputation of the N63TU either. I also wouldn't count on your behavior being "undetectable" to BMW. Again, I don't know this for sure, but they seem to log a LOT of information on engine performance. I would have a hard time believing they're not logging information about the amount of boost being produced by the turbos, especially if they're also logging misfire events, etc. And if the engine was damaged (e.g. you blow your turbos), would they not correlate the unnaturally high levels of boost and deduce you were using a tune? I don't know. It's a big risk that could cost you a lot of money if you're on the wrong side of that gamble.

In any case, I understand your enthusiasm, and it sounds like you're having a complete blast with it - that's a complete monster at those hp/tq ratings! Best of luck with it!
So if I'm running 91 octane since there's nothing else here and going through filling up octane boosters will be annoying, can I have my setting at 1 o'clock?
      07-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #35
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

Oh and I finally installed it, didn't understand how easy it would be because most tunes seem much more complicated. Man it's fast! But I want faster, can I put it at 1 o'clock setting with 91 octane gas?
      07-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #36
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

BEEAAST!
Attached Images

07-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #37
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh and I finally installed it, didn't understand how easy it would be because most tunes seem much more complicated. Man it's fast! But I want faster, can I put it at 1 o'clock setting with 91 octane gas?
Looks great, Eli! Sounds like you're feeling a noticeable improvement?

BMS' guide says the 1 o'clock position shouldn't be used unless you're using a race gas mix minimum (no other hardware required), whereas the 12 o'clock position recommends 93 AND high flow exhaust as minimum. If you're only on 91 I'd stick to 11 o'clock (default) - it's probably another 2.25 PSI of boost, which is still significant. I'm guessing it's conservative enough where Terry feels the potential for damage is minimal.

I think ARC is living proof, though, that you can set it much higher potentially without consequence... or maybe not near-term consequences, at least. Just all depends on how much risk you're willing to take.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #38
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Looks great, Eli! Sounds like you're feeling a noticeable improvement?

BMS' guide says the 1 o'clock position shouldn't be used unless you're using a race gas mix minimum (no other hardware required), whereas the 12 o'clock position recommends 93 AND high flow exhaust as minimum. If you're only on 91 I'd stick to 11 o'clock (default) - it's probably another 2.25 PSI of boost, which is still significant. I'm guessing it's conservative enough where Terry feels the potential for damage is minimal.

I think ARC is living proof, though, that you can set it much higher potentially without consequence... or maybe not near-term consequences, at least. Just all depends on how much risk you're willing to take.
It's a lease I'm not too worried. I found a gas station near my office that has 104 octane unleaded at the pump. I currently have less than a quarter tank of 91 in my car, I'm going to fill it with 104 tonight and see what it does. should be interesting.
      07-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #39
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a lease I'm not too worried. I found a gas station near my office that has 104 octane unleaded at the pump. I currently have less than a quarter tank of 91 in my car, I'm going to fill it with 104 tonight and see what it does. should be interesting.
Haha... 104, that should do! Let us know how it works out.

Out of curiosity, what station was it? I don't think there's anything local here that goes remotely that high... most I've seen is 94.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #40
EZDozzit
Civilian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i M Sport

Lol. So much excitement. She does pull hard, very hard. I wrote BMS and inquired since I use 93 octane but still have the factory exhaust. They recommend the dial to be set to 11 o'clock. Installation couldn't be simpler. From the reading I've done, you gain 80HP at the crank, so roughly low 60's RWHP. I ordered the 1/4" flexible tubing (see pic) to cover up the wires for more of an OEM look.
Attached Images

2014 BMW X6 35i - Black Sapphire
2011 BMW X5 50i - Titanium Silver (traded)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #41
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haha... 104, that should do! Let us know how it works out.

Out of curiosity, what station was it? I don't think there's anything local here that goes remotely that high... most I've seen is 94.
http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal

Went to the agoura hills station.
      07-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #42
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

It's literally almost as fast as my friends M5
      07-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #43
ARC550
Major
Rep

Bro crank the dial! Don't Liston to BMS. Crank it to 1 o'clock and let it ride bro! Then you will feel the speed! If you do full 104 octane crank the dial ALL THE WAY.

Keep in kind that the tune we are using for our cars is a Box for Mini coopers. These was no R&D done. There was nothing. BMS was ducking around and found that it could be used for our cars and BAm!

Crank it!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #44
Eli550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Bro crank the dial! Don't Liston to BMS. Crank it to 1 o'clock and let it ride bro! Then you will feel the speed! If you do full 104 octane crank the dial ALL THE WAY.

Keep in kind that the tune we are using for our cars is a Box for Mini coopers. These was no R&D done. There was nothing. BMS was ducking around and found that it could be used for our cars and BAm!

Crank it!
Duuudee! This car is on crack right now. It's at 1 o'clock and 104 octane. I just smoked my friends stage 2 STI... I have to buy downpipes! Someone sell me yours!