2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rattle noise on passenger seat.

05-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
xroyalflush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Rattle noise on passenger seat.

Hi everyone,
I've been meaning to ask for a long time but I'm just about to go crash this car of mine.
Every single day when I drive (even when the road isn't messed up) I can hear a very annoying rattle coming from the passenger seat. I'm not sure what it is, but one thing I know for sure is that when someone is sitting on the damn seat, it doesn't do it. I haven't figured out if it's the actual seat or if it is being caused by the seatbelt. Either way, I hate it! I only hear it when the radio is turned off, otherwise, it's not that bad, but I just hate it that BMW tends to make cars with rattles. It really makes me cringe! :/

What do you all think I should do? Oh and the service dept guys never hear anything, as usual.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #2
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroyalflush View Post
Hi everyone,
I've been meaning to ask for a long time but I'm just about to go crash this car of mine.
Every single day when I drive (even when the road isn't messed up) I can hear a very annoying rattle coming from the passenger seat. I'm not sure what it is, but one thing I know for sure is that when someone is sitting on the damn seat, it doesn't do it. I haven't figured out if it's the actual seat or if it is being caused by the seatbelt. Either way, I hate it! I only hear it when the radio is turned off, otherwise, it's not that bad, but I just hate it that BMW tends to make cars with rattles. It really makes me cringe! :/

What do you all think I should do? Oh and the service dept guys never hear anything, as usual.
check the passenger box and head rest. cannot solve the problem but I fill the passenger box with a lot of things and the rattle sound is gone. However, when I empty the box, it will make a rattle noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
xroyalflush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.K.
Quote:
Hi everyone,

check the passenger box and head rest. cannot solve the problem but I fill the passenger box with a lot of things and the rattle sound is gone. However, when I empty the box, it will make a rattle noise.
thanks, I'll try and check that out..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

Quote:
thanks, I'll try and check that out..
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
dirtyvegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i msport

Mine was the seatbelt buckle. I moved the little clamp that sets it's position to somewhere else on thWed belt and it went away. It comes back when it moves again due to use.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyvegas View Post
Mine was the seatbelt buckle. I moved the little clamp that sets it's position to somewhere else on thWed belt and it went away. It comes back when it moves again due to use.
+1
      05-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Same with me, seat belt specially with the M sport seats! but did have one other noise coming from the sun/moon roof, if you have one the fix was unscrew a bit the screws holding the plastic cover, only visible when you open the roof.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

My rattling noise is coming from the front passenger knee airbag. This started after one year of use.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I had the same issue, service department couldnīt find anything! I assume you have comfort seats or multi-contour seats like me? Try sticking your hand inbetween the side bolster of the passenger seat and the center arm rest... You may find that the left side of the seat is actually in contact with the plastic part of the armrest, causing a very annoying squeak/rattle as soon as you start driving. Try inflating/deflating the side bolsters until they are no longer in contact with the armrest.
My car is now dead silent.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
dirtyvegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

With upgraded multi contour power seats and dakota leather I notice alot of plastic on plastic rubbing noises. It's on both front seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Agree with those that have posted about the seat belt buckle catching on the B pillar.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #12
krro
BMWSWE
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 730d F01 -15

I also had this problem but the nose was caused by the rod connected to the door locking mechanism (doorknob) on the passenger side. The dealer fixed this by adding some adhesive fabric tape inside the door where the rod came into contact with the metal part inside the door.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #13
krro
BMWSWE
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 730d F01 -15

FYI, forgett doorknob, wrong word. :-) I mean the rod showing if the door is locked or not. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
dirtyvegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krro View Post
I also had this problem but the nose was caused by the rod connected to the door locking mechanism (doorknob) on the passenger side. The dealer fixed this by adding some adhesive fabric tape inside the door where the rod came into contact with the metal part inside the door.
I have this too. I was thinking doing that as a dyi project. Maybe I'll have dealership give it a try.
Appreciate 1