2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bavsound 8" underseat woofers

12-25-2015, 12:33 AM   #1
twinPWRbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Comp. Pkg

Bavsound 8" underseat woofers

Hello all,

Since there isn't a dedicated thread on the Bavsound 8" underseat woofer, I thought I'd start one.

Install is straight forward, the most difficult part of the install was removing the plastic pieces on the rails of the seats. Aside from that, it was 4 bolts to lift the seat. You're going to need a T50 tip which was NOT supplied in the Bavsound took kit. Using a T20, remove 4 screws to remove the grill, then 4 screws to remove the speaker. Unplug the harness, Pry the speaker from the housing. I chose to leave the housing in as it was too hard to apply the weather seal. Use the weather seal to line the housing, place the new speaker in and do everything in the reverse order. Unfortunately I do not have the torque specs for the seats, but I made sure the seat was even and tight. Install on both sides took about 1.5hrs

Overall impressions, woofers do have a little more punch. I am still in the break-in period, so I'm sure they'll hit deeper/harder as they get more use. I used spotify to stream at the highest quality as your "source" plays in important factor in the quality of the music. If you're just playing the radio, expect very little improvement. Current settings are full Treble and 3/4 Bass. Mid-bass is definitely more pronounced, at high volumes, they do not rattle or distort, and I can actually feel the vibrations from under the seat. Something I've never felt with the factory woofers.

Pro's:
1) Completes the Bavsound package if you have stage 1
2) Good upgrade if you're looking for more umpf without annoying your neighbors
3) Simple straight-forward, PnP install
4) More pronounced bass, noticeable when streaming high quality music
5) Quality of the woofers are beyond the factory ones in terms of build

Con's:
1) Did not include weather seal, purchased from Home Depot for $6
2) T50 attachment was not included in the Bavsound tool kit
3) Bavsound did not include the torque specs for the seats
4) Where's my $15 Amazon gift card?

Overall, I am happy with the purchase ($400 intro price) and can't wait to break them in for some good music. Questions, comments? Leave them below.
CURRENT: 2016 M3 Competition Package | Mineral White/Full SO | Executive Package | Driver Assist+ | Lighting Package | Parking Assist | Enhanced B/T | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps | Stainless Steel Pedals | XPEL Ultimate
PAST: '13 BMW 535i, '13 Lexus RX350, '08 Lexus IS250, '06 Lexus IS350, '03 Lexus IS300, '99 Civic Si

Last edited by twinPWRbimmer; 12-25-2015 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 4
Kyngofpop676.00
John H.230.00
      12-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #2
cm048
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

According to BMW ISTA/D this is the procedure to remove/ install front seat of BMW F10.
Move front seat rearwards.
Release screws (1).
Installation note:
Replace screws.

Tightening torque 52 10 01AZ.
1AZ Seat to floor panel F01 / F02 / F03 / F04 / F07 / F10 / F11 / F18 M 10 (trilobular) Replace Powerlock screw (self-locking) 43 Nm
This means that once you remove the seat bolts, you can not reuse it. It is powerlock screw, one time use only. Tighten torque is 43 NM.

Part number for the screw is 07149156953, total of 8 for two front seats.

I already order the screws with BMW, less than $2 each.
Need to wait for screws for about a week.
Appreciate 2
      12-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
cm048
Rep

I am a bit confuse about the weather seal, I already have speaker with a foam gasket, I think it should be sufficient already...

Will install it once the new seat bolt from BMW arrived.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
ThereGoesForNothing
Private
Rep
Drives: 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm048 View Post
According to BMW ISTA/D this is the procedure to remove/ install front seat of BMW F10.
Release screws (1).
Installation note:
Replace screws.

1AZ Seat to floor panel F01 / F02 / F03 / F04 / F07 / F10 / F11 / F18 M 10 (trilobular) Replace Powerlock screw (self-locking) 43 Nm
This means that once you remove the seat bolts, you can not reuse it. It is powerlock screw, one time use only. Tighten torque is 43 NM.

Where did you order these? I googled and I find them at $3 and up..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
DonJkZ
Rep
Drives: 520d

Quote:
I am a bit confuse about the weather seal, I already have speaker with a foam gasket, I think it should be sufficient already...

Will install it once the new seat bolt from BMW arrived.
Apparently not all cars need the gasket, read the posts by Micah on this forum:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1175111&page=5
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
cm048
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereGoesForNothing View Post
Directly with BMW dealer. I used to get small discount from them.
But this part is not in their stock, so I have to wait until after new year holiday.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJkZ View Post
Apparent all cars need the gasket, read the posts by Micah on this forum:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1175111&page=5
Lol! Sounds like HORRIBLE customer service! again, they were too busy taking everybody's money and they totally dropped the ball on quality assurance and overlooked a gasket which from reading the post is getting back negative reviews! Saved myself $500 bucks!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 01:22 AM   #8
twinPWRbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Comp. Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Lol! Sounds like HORRIBLE customer service! again, they were too busy taking everybody's money and they totally dropped the ball on quality assurance and overlooked a gasket which from reading the post is getting back negative reviews! Saved myself $500 bucks!
I'm still pretty happy with it. Gasket wasn't a biggy, it was at Home depot for $6. Install was super simple and results were a well-balanced sound improvement. Customer service, maybe a little slow, but didn't warrant a 'negative' experience. Yes, execution could have been improved, and they were trying to make it right... and its still a great product.
CURRENT: 2016 M3 Competition Package | Mineral White/Full SO | Executive Package | Driver Assist+ | Lighting Package | Parking Assist | Enhanced B/T | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps | Stainless Steel Pedals | XPEL Ultimate
PAST: '13 BMW 535i, '13 Lexus RX350, '08 Lexus IS250, '06 Lexus IS350, '03 Lexus IS300, '99 Civic Si
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinPWRbimmer View Post
I'm still pretty happy with it. Gasket wasn't a biggy, it was at Home depot for $6. Install was super simple and results were a well-balanced sound improvement. Customer service, maybe a little slow, but didn't warrant a 'negative' experience. Yes, execution could have been improved, and they were trying to make it right... and its still a great product.
Glad you're happy with them! I think they're great for mids especially with an aftermarket amp to push them to their full potential. But for $500 I can spend it on some other quality mids and leave the duties of the low frequencies for subs in the trunk.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #10
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Manual?

Quote:
Release screws (1).
Installation note:
Replace screws.

Where did you find a TIS manual for the F10? PM me how to obtain please.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
cm048
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
Where did you find a TIS manual for the F10? PM me how to obtain please.
PM Sent.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #12
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Glad you're happy with them! I think they're great for mids especially with an aftermarket amp to push them to their full potential. But for $500 I can spend it on some other quality mids and leave the duties of the low frequencies for subs in the trunk.
Like what? There don't seem to be a lot of options to fit those shallow enclosures. People talk a lot about Jenherts, but I don't see that those are easily sourced in the US and from what I can tell, those are pricey too. They appear to be 4 ohm only which aren't good for HK users.

The Earthquake SWS8 also don't seem to have an 8 ohm version, and from what I've read those aren't as good at midbass (but better at deep bass extension if you lack a trunk sub, but then you definitely should be using an aftermarket amp anyway).

I do have a trunk sub, and the improvement to the 80-150hz "lower midbass" region was worth the $400 I paid for the pair. Male vocals, bass guitars, and rock drums have vastly improved definition now. Makes a huge difference in how refined the overall system sounds. They also seem to "blend" better with my 10" trunk sub. It seems to have pulled the sound more forward, almost giving the illusion that the sub is larger, even though I've dropped the level down on it. Good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #13
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereGoesForNothing View Post
Www.getbmwparts.com
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #14
VC_BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 528xi

Quote:
Release screws (1).
Installation note:
Replace screws.

Can you please PM me TIS too. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Anymore updates or impressions or is that it?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #16
Reallybro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport AW

I installed them the day after xmas & they're awesome! I have HK & I've broken them in already. I noticed I don't have to play them as loud, or have the eq seriously tweaked to make it sound really good. Biggest improvement I've noticed is the overall sound is much more accurate & not muddy. I jumped on the pre buy, got them early December, & got the gasket & the $15 Amazon card about a week later. I'm very satisfied with them. I had earthquakes on my '08 535i w/HK, but I was missing the mid-bass frequencies & wound up putting back in the OEM woofers. They were never an option for me in my f-10, so I was committed to waiting on Bavsound, & I wasn't at all disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

I'm lovin every mile with mine
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

anyone get a chance to see what the mounting depth is for these subs or what the mounting depth of the underseat enclosure is?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #20
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Release screws (1).
Installation note:
Replace screws.

Valuable information! I just ordered 8 of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinPWRbimmer View Post
Hello all,

Since there isn't a dedicated thread on the Bavsound 8" underseat woofer, I thought I'd start one.

Install is straight forward, the most difficult part of the install was removing the plastic pieces on the rails of the seats. Aside from that, it was 4 bolts to lift the seat. You're going to need a T50 tip which was NOT supplied in the Bavsound took kit. Using a T20, remove 4 screws to remove the grill, then 4 screws to remove the speaker. Unplug the harness, Pry the speaker from the housing. I chose to leave the housing in as it was too hard to apply the weather seal. Use the weather seal to line the housing, place the new speaker in and do everything in the reverse order. Unfortunately I do not have the torque specs for the seats, but I made sure the seat was even and tight. Install on both sides took about 1.5hrs

Overall impressions, woofers do have a little more punch. I am still in the break-in period, so I'm sure they'll hit deeper/harder as they get more use. I used spotify to stream at the highest quality as your "source" plays in important factor in the quality of the music. If you're just playing the radio, expect very little improvement. Current settings are full Treble and 3/4 Bass. Mid-bass is definitely more pronounced, at high volumes, they do not rattle or distort, and I can actually feel the vibrations from under the seat. Something I've never felt with the factory woofers.

Pro's:
1) Completes the Bavsound package if you have stage 1
2) Good upgrade if you're looking for more umpf without annoying your neighbors
3) Simple straight-forward, PnP install
4) More pronounced bass, noticeable when streaming high quality music
5) Quality of the woofers are beyond the factory ones in terms of build

Con's:
1) Did not include weather seal, purchased from Home Depot for $6
2) T50 attachment was not included in the Bavsound tool kit
3) Bavsound did not include the torque specs for the seats
4) Where's my $15 Amazon gift card?

Overall, I am happy with the purchase ($400 intro price) and can't wait to break them in for some good music. Questions, comments? Leave them below.
Very informative! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
      02-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #21
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

I'm digging mine so far. Installed them last month and they are broken in. Agree with your assessment generally.

While I do love the subs themselves, I'm disappointed with the install video. It really is not in keeping with prior Bavsound info and instructions. It cuts at all of the important parts and leaves out stuff that is pretty important. Stuff that seems to be missing:
  1. Info on whether to cut out the rubber below the carpet that appears to touch the woofer when installed. There is a super brief mention of it in the video, but no clear explanation or instruction.
  2. Video of taking out and putting in the enclosure. The video cuts away at these important parts. I was able to get them both in and out but others appear to have trouble. Why not show the process?
  3. Disclaimer about over-tightening (and breaking) the screws holding down the grill. Apparently I'm not the only one to have cracked a screw.
  4. Video cut away when removing the old woofer. I did find an easy way to remove mine and am blanking on how I did it now. Wish I remembered so I could help others. Shoot.

I'm thinking I'm not getting proper sound from the woofers because I didn't cut away the rubber/something on the bottom of the carpet that appears to abut the woofer on the door side. I'm guessing this is preventing appropriate travel of the speaker. I'll have to take the seats out again and try to cut that away without damaging the woofer - or will have to take the woofers out again before trying to cut that out.

Either that or I need to add the weather stripping to complete the seal. I didn't get an email about it, but for some reason they just don't quite sound like they are hitting as tight or as hard as they should.

With the stock amp they definitely added some punch. I also recently installed a bimmertech amp and need to do some tuning to get these babies singing. Can't wait to either use the knowledge and expertise from someone else to load up a new tune or toy around with it more myself (though my attempts so far haven't been stellar. haha).

Overall I recommend the subs for sure. They are a great compliment to the Stage 1. This is the 2nd system I've had from Bavsound (formerly BSW) in my BMWs and love them!! I just wish more time had been put into the instructions as it would have saved me and others some time and frustration.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #22
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
The subs are here I'm just waiting for the new bolts from getbmwparts. The music that I listen has a punchy bass or sub-bass. I've been listening for 4 years how the OEM subwoofer sounds and now it's time to upgrade it. If there's a huge difference then I guess I would be able to tell it right away. I'm not looking for loud and earth-shaking low frequencies. I would go with quality sound when compared to loudness. I'll test my favorite tunes and write an update. I'm installing the subs this Saturday