2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes BMW F10 Accessing the rear shock from the top

04-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
In order to gain access to the rear shock from the top all you have to do is pull off the speaker cover. I learned the hard way and removed the back seats, side panels and unbolted some seat belts. All of that is unnecessary.

Remove:
1. Insert trim remover tool , small pry bar or flat head screw driver in the center of the speaker cover behind the head rest.
2. Press it in all the way down with minimal force.
3. Catch the flat lip of the speaker cover from underneath and pull straight up.
4. Once it's popped from the front lift it all the way up and then pull toward you.
5. Viola, top shock access.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Thanks Bro! I'll be using this when I put the coilovers on Saturday. Any other tips for the rear? Maybe I'll do a DIY post?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Thanks Bro! I'll be using this when I put the coilovers on Saturday. Any other tips for the rear? Maybe I'll do a DIY post?
Yeah get that long breaker bar. I'll try to take some underneath pics. I'll point out what to loosen and where to leverage the breaker bar. The rear is the hardest. You got the front no problem.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Yeah get that long breaker bar. I'll try to take some underneath pics. I'll point out what to loosen and where to leverage the breaker bar. The rear is the hardest. You got the front no problem.
yeah definitely take a picture of where to place that breaker bar! any suggestions will help! you've messes with your suspension quite a few times now in a short time frame, did you have to get it aligned again? i'm wondering how long i should let it settle before going in for the alignment. i'd hate to eat up these 21" tires for the settling period
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Alignment is def in order now. Mine pulls to the right. I waited for everything to settle first and it's definitely time. I am going to a shop that specializes in lowered car alignment. They are going to correct the camber caused by lowering your car and of course high precession laser alignment.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Here some pics of what I did on the rear. You have to remove the the rear linkage so you can apply a lot of pressure on the lower control arm. This will allow you enough clearance to remove the strut assembly. You have to put all your weight down on the control arm with the breaker bar while someone else twists out the strut. The picture in the middle with just an arrow is where you insert the breaker bar and have it coming out towards the rear bumper and push down hard.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I take it back. Insert in between lower control arm and axel. Still follow the rest of the instructions from above
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Where you wrote remove in red you mean the nut so the rear linkage assembly comes down right?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Where you wrote remove in red you mean the nut so the rear linkage assembly comes down right?
Yes remove the nut and that will allow for you to push he control arm down really low.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

can't wait! Getting it installed this Saturday!
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Thanks for the video, need to try this when I want to adjust my coils.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0