2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 5-series Coupe and Cabrio In The Works? Under consideration.

09-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #45
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Some nice ideas from BMW Can t wait to see the concepts and the new range of small turbo petrol engines
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #46
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Modular Matrix....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

The key product push will be on the modular matrix which will be found underneath the 1er and 3er, as this will push BMW into new segments.
The 1er and 3er segments plus the MINI / City car segments are future areas for growth.
Scott,

Can you tell us more about the modular matrix, please ? It feels like those two words carry a lot more meaning/impact than they let on.

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #47
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

I have to say I am a bit greedy when it comes to BMW cars :P :-) The more the merrier. But I know why many people have reservations.

Like some people think in here, my impression too is that the outgoing 6-series is a 5-series-derived vehicle. I think in terms of dimension, platform, even interior they are pretty similar. Granted, the styling is different but if you sit in the cockpit of both cars you can't fail to notice the similarities. Engine wise too.

So in my opinion, in order for a 5-series coupe to be viable (and I would totally love to see it happen!) the new 6-series must move up in order to create space in the line-up. Maybe become more of a competitor for Mercedes CL on a similar price range?

As for the E-Class coupe, I don't think you can actually compare it to a possible 5-series coupe even more so to the 6-series coupe. The E-class coupe I understand is based on C-Class underpinnings thus is more of a competitor to the 3 Series coupe than the 5-or 6-series.

But yes, as long as there is enough space to accommodate this car in the line-up I would totally love to see a 5-series coupe!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #48
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

If you are familiar with Meccano or Lego it is just adaptable modular components that can be attatched to single base platform.

BMW invested heavily in manufacturing this new structure for it's 1er and 3er strategy. This is highly cost effective for BMW and it's product expansion.

The platform can either be extended or shortened can be adapted modular for either front wheel , rear wheel and all wheel drive. Engine can either be mounted at the front , rear or in mid-placement. With additional modular components for alternative drivetrains.
major elements such as firewall, engine cradle , and suspension mounts are constructed as modular pieces and attached to wherever they need to be to suit each model.

The MINI , BMW City Car use a cut-down version that again is modular for their needs.

By devising this strategy means BMW can spin many variants off of one structure. This differs greatly from VW's one platform many models because BMW have engineered that the platform is adapatable to suit each car meaning that each modular component is favourable for each model as is wheelbase.

Initial planning shows that the strategy will be responsible for over 20 new models of both the 1er and 3er.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #49
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If you are familiar with Meccano or Lego it is just adaptable modular components that can be attatched to single base platform.

BMW invested heavily in manufacturing this new structure for it's 1er and 3er strategy. This is highly cost effective for BMW and it's product expansion.

The platform can either be extended or shortened can be adapted modular for either front wheel , rear wheel and all wheel drive. Engine can either be mounted at the front , rear or in mid-placement. With additional modular components for alternative drivetrains.
major elements such as firewall, engine cradle , and suspension mounts are constructed as modular pieces and attached to wherever they need to be to suit each model.

The MINI , BMW City Car use a cut-down version that again is modular for their needs.

By devising this strategy means BMW can spin many variants off of one structure. This differs greatly from VW's one platform many models because BMW have engineered that the platform is adapatable to suit each car meaning that each modular component is favourable for each model as is wheelbase.

Initial planning shows that the strategy will be responsible for over 20 new models of both the 1er and 3er.

At first blush, this sounds like a bit of a shortcut. Modularity connotes this idea of "jack of all trades, master of none" Should we be concerned about quality compromises?

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #50
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Hmm..

Pick a point along each axis.. the rest writes itself

lol, seriously though.. I'm greedy too, the more we get the better
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #51
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

i personally wouldnt buy because i like the 5 series sedan. i would imagine dealerships having a hard time selling the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The "key distinction" would be that one would be a 5 seater (or a 4 seater for that matter - time will tell), while the 6er as it stands now is a 2+2, with two virtually non-functional seats.
esquire, I'm not sure I agree. At what point did SCOTT say or hint that the 5 series coupe or cab would seat 5? Perhaps in its original concept (the e34, I mean) it would have seated 5 because the 3 series at the time also did, to my knowledge. However the modern two-door 3 series only seats four and its not readily obvious to me that a two-door 5 series would not follow that same design.

Like I said in my earlier post, I would be more inclined to think of the 6 series as a 7 series coupe if they put a V12 under the hood. Some would argue that this is reserved for a would-be 8 series. To me that's splitting hairs. Model designations aside, if the 6 is a 7 coupe, then it needs the full range of 7 powertrains. Who knows, maybe that is forthcoming. But I doubt it. In the meantime, I can't help but notice that the 3 series codes are F20, F21, F22, F23 and the 5/6 series are F10, F11, F12, F13. Similar comparisons can be made for the E9x and E6x. Sure its just some model codes, but lets not kid ourselves - the modern day 5 and 6 are closely related. This despite there being no 628i, and the N55 powered 6 series (or will it be an N54... queue suspense music track ) being labeled 40i instead of 35i.
Appreciate 0