2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Glass Coating (Warning...lots of images)

10-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Glass Coating (Warning...lots of images)

Thought you guys may be interested in the glass coating process. I went to a local detailing shop here in Bangkok called WAC Auto Detailing (https://www.facebook.com/waccardetailing). I decided on the Rupes Bigfoot colour correction and then Modesta all round. They use BC-05 for the paintwork and then P-01A for everything else. The entire exterior of the car was done including the lights, windscreen, side windows, diffuser etc. The colour correction makes a HUGE difference - removing all the swirls that seem to arrive as if by magic on any black car (mine's carbon black). I've only had the car for a couple of months but they were already noticeable.

The process takes around 10 hours or so from start to finish. I cant really say yet (having picked the car up this afternoon) how much easier it will be to live with now, but no questioning the finish. The most noticeable part for me is the headlights - the glass looks almost invisible. it will be interesting to see how it holds up, though there is a 5 year guarantee with it. I've to take it back every 3 months for maintenance where they check it out and will do whatever necessary to keep it in good condition. Otherwise, from now on washing with soap and water should be all that is required. We've been having a lot of storms lately - I'm looking forward to going out in one now to see what difference the coating on the windscreen makes. Hope you like the pics. Will take some more shortly out in the wild to see how it looks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
MoonBMWer
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528i Luxury

Wow! Very nice. Looks like a block of ice.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

Nice..make to post some pics when u pick up the car...also where did buy the diffuser?
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Awesome! How long did the process take?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

How much did it cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

The process apparently takes around 10 hours non stop. I dropped off at 8am on Fri and picked up on Sat lunchtime just so they wouldn't have to rush. I also didn't want to be picking up in darkness.

Cost? Well, the normal price is about $1500. I managed to negotiate some discount, and also had them include all the extras too, such as the lights,tyres, windscreen etc.

The diffuser is the OEM M Performance one, purchased from the dealer and fitted when I picked the car up after buying.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
528imsport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow View Post
The process apparently takes around 10 hours non stop. I dropped off at 8am on Fri and picked up on Sat lunchtime just so they wouldn't have to rush. I also didn't want to be picking up in darkness.

Cost? Well, the normal price is about $1500. I managed to negotiate some discount, and also had them include all the extras too, such as the lights,tyres, windscreen etc.

The diffuser is the OEM M Performance one, purchased from the dealer and fitted when I picked the car up after buying.
Very nice job
I will also do something like this in HK called Pomponazzi
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Absolutely stunning F10 and detail-protection. One of the sweetest cars I have seen on the forums (Active 5 in Bangkok is massive bonus points)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1
Absolutely stunning F10 and detail-protection. One of the sweetest cars I have seen on the forums (Active 5 in Bangkok is massive bonus points)
Thanks. Yeah, there are not many around in Bangkok, and the few I've seen are standard, non m sport. The dealers don't seem to push them much. 5 years interest free on f10's rights now, and discounts. You'd think there was an LCI coming or something...
Appreciate 0