2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Self-levelling rear suspension

03-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
Manas
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

Self-levelling rear suspension

I think this is directed more to F11 (Touring) owners as the F11 comes standard with self-levelling rear suspension.

Yesterday when walking towards my car I noticed that the distance between the rear wheel and the wheel well was really short, the car was "squatted". I found it strange but drove home. When I parked it, the suspension was back to normal. Half an hour later it was still normal and this morning back to "squatted" state. Have you noticed this, is it related to the self-levelling rear suspension?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

I havent noticed it, but will look for it!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas View Post
I think this is directed more to F11 (Touring) owners as the F11 comes standard with self-levelling rear suspension.

Yesterday when walking towards my car I noticed that the distance between the rear wheel and the wheel well was really short, the car was "squatted". I found it strange but drove home. When I parked it, the suspension was back to normal. Half an hour later it was still normal and this morning back to "squatted" state. Have you noticed this, is it related to the self-levelling rear suspension?
would make sense, on the F11 it is pneumatic suspension on the rear axle, including automatic self-levelling feature so I guess once you park up the suspension would after a certain amount of time default to a specific height and then level back up again once you get in......isn't that how the old citroen system used to work? i'll check my car tonight when i leave work.

you could always ask a tech at your local dealer to confirm.

also found this link...so I guess the pressure in the cylinders is released after you park and leave the vehicle????

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...levelling.html
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas View Post

I'd suggest there may be an issue with the system losing air.

Having owned an E39 touring for 4-years, the suspension should not normally squat, even if left a few days. Mine only played up when there was an issue with an air spring, in other words an air leak. Come to think of it, never seen a touring on a dealer's sales lot sitting on the bump stops. They must sit a few days on occasion, without a start up.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Manas
Rep

Unfortunately I think you're right HighlandPete.

Today I looked at it more carefully and the car is not even levelled, it's leaning to the left, though both sides look squat. There is definitely something wrong with the rear suspension.

Here's a picture (sorry for the bad quality I took it with my phone)
Going to the dealer tomorrow and after I'll let you all know what the problem was/parts replaced.

Thanks for the answers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'd suggest there may be an issue with the system losing air.

Having owned an E39 touring for 4-years, the suspension should not normally squat, even if left a few days. Mine only played up when there was an issue with an air spring, in other words an air leak. Come to think of it, never seen a touring on a dealer's sales lot sitting on the bump stops. They must sit a few days on occasion, without a start up.

HighlandPete
Yep I agree. Just checked my car and it looks normal and thats after 10 hours in the work car park.

Looking at that picture you just posts manas that's definitely not how my F11 looks. Looking like a leak in the system as per highlandpete's diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Manas
Rep

Picked up the car today...the air pump had a leaking valve...
The car looks normal again
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Great!! Now we know that if it happens to us :-)
Appreciate 0