2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Review and dyno results of BMW F10 535i GSR Technik Stage 1 ECU Flash tune

06-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #23
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
I looked up the ZF 8 tranny fluid and the "boiling" point is 536 farenheight so that gives me some comfort. I guess I'll find out the true capability of the tranny whenever the time comes that it fails lol
Yeah, but the fluid begins to break down well below boiling point
Here's a chart showing temps vs. lifespan.
http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm
Interesting, I'll have to monitor temps with my dash command app. Thanks for the link.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #24
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
( ::::SERVICE UPDATE:::: )
Finally got the car back from the dealer. Almost 3 weeks in repair those a-holes. It went in for vibrating, pulling to the right and a cabin error related to seat positioning. The first call from them was their software crashed when trying to reset the ECU! They said they needed to reset the ECU for the seat error and a software update for the electronic steering that was causing the pulling to the right.

I was so nervous thinking they were going detect something. They detected nothing. They blamed the crash on themselves saying their software tried to update itself in the middle of a reset(I call BS). I was like who the hell uses a computer to reset a DME while connected to the internet?!

I informed Bobby of GSR and he mentioned that they shouldn't of had to reset the entire ECU. I got the car back and immediately noticed my flash was gone which means that crash forced them to completely reset it. It actually could mean two things
1. They fried the ECU and put a new one in.
2. They actually fully reset it.

I went into GSR headquarters and had their techs replace the tune. We noticed that the ECU was the same. They could tell when they opened it up. During re-flashing they noticed that they placed new software on my board which is an older chipset. (2011 F10) This is actually good news! What this means is that the tune is completely undetectable to the dealer because they didn't fry the board and never noticed an adjustment to the existing DME.

Now my car is back to being a monster and a GSR stage 2 is scheduled in a few weeks.

BTW the GSR shop is amazing!
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #25
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
And just for good measure. Can you see the tune? No, no you can't nor can the dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #26
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Great news but seems odd, so they did test drive the car and didn't notice extra 100 of torque...?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #27
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Just curious? What happens with people who don't live in Cali that run into the same situation where the dealer needs to reset the ECU for whatever reasons? 2nd if I'm reading this correctly DP is recommended for better bottom end? Is a charge pipe and intake recommended as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #28
fung0001
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 2013 520i Hartge Tuning

Is it safer to have a bigger intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #29
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy
Great news but seems odd, so they did test drive the car and didn't notice extra 100 of torque...?
They did test drive the car. I actually went on a test drive with the shop foreman when I returned for a third time due to the unresolved vibration and they didn't notice anything unusual. The don't drive the cars hard or at least they didn't while I was in the car. In any case it went undetected.

The dealer has dumped thousands of dollars into my car over the course of 3 weeks trying to resolve my complaints. 3 brand new rims, control arms, bushings, front rotors and brakes, struts, road force balancing, alignment, 2 reflashes, labor, loaner cars and my personal time. Believe me if they could of detected it they would of stopped and said the car was tampered with and blame all repairs on that.

Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #30
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Just curious? What happens with people who don't live in Cali that run into the same situation where the dealer needs to reset the ECU for whatever reasons? 2nd if I'm reading this correctly DP is recommended for better bottom end? Is a charge pipe and intake recommended as well?
That is a question for GSR in regards to dealer resetting the ECU. In regards to better bottom end, yes I think DP's may resolve this, but it's really unknown at this point. I will have the results of a DP's and a stage 2 tune in the next few weeks. Here is previous, current and predicated gains.

Stock:
280whp
280wtq

Stage1 + stage 2 prediction
323whp + 30whp
417wtq + 60wtq

Could be more, nobody knows yet. The curve where power drops off might level out meaning it may not drop off so fast. They suspect it maybe the same just due to the way the car breathes, however the delta will be much larger guaranteed. I'm going to keep the stock exhaust and test with DP's and a stage 2 for the cleanest results.

I was just thinking of a CP only because the the turbos are way more noticeable now and I am suspecting I will start getting leaks soon. Now she whistles while she works.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #31
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fung0001
Is it safer to have a bigger intercooler?
With the stage 1 tune and driving hard on the car I've seen no change in oil temps and no loss of power. I don't see a need for a bigger intercooler. This may change at stage 2.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #32
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Awesome! So as far as stage 1 did GSR recommend anything to be upgraded for this? I know exhaust will help let it breathe better but was wondering if doing the CP, DP and Intake would overall run the stage 1 at optimum tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #33
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Awesome! So as far as stage 1 did GSR recommend anything to be upgraded for this? I know exhaust will help let it breathe better but was wondering if doing the CP, DP and Intake would overall run the stage 1 at optimum tune?
I don't know if you'll see a increase of power from a CP, but you would avoid power loss due to leaks. Some sites report up to 30% power loss due to leaks.

A DP is going to give you an optimal tune at either stage. According to GSR the DP + tune will give you more power even with a stock exhaust over just a tune alone. They mentioned that an exhaust will give you a small bump mostly due to weight reduction.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #34
Sadclown
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

I would like to hear GSR chime in for out of state folks. Is a remote flash at all possible? All the kewl shit happens in Cali..

Glad to see some development on the previously locked out F10s! Any idea if GSR is researching any upgrades to the turbo as well?
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 02:41 AM   #35
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
( ::::SERVICE UPDATE:::: )
I was so nervous thinking they were going detect something. They detected nothing. They blamed the crash on themselves saying their software tried to update itself in the middle of a reset(I call BS). I was like who the hell uses a computer to reset a DME while connected to the internet?!
This is probably worthy of a whole different thread, but this really concerns me. Everyone knows the service reps are completely full of shit more often than not, but does BMW really connect to our cars while using a diagnostic computer linked to the internet? I have zero confidence in BMW (or any other manufacturer) securing themselves from being hacked and the subsequent possibility of loading malware onto our cars.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #36
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
323whp + 30whp
417wtq + 60wtq
those predictions are definitely a possibility! but expect huge torque increase in the lower RPM's, and a big drop off as it hits higher RPM's, its typical of the stock turbo on the N55.

what would be awesome is if you put a stage 2 turbo on it like my f30
you can do awesome things like this. ( this is still deep into development, but the dips are from my tires slipping on the dyno)

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2015, 01:29 AM   #37
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel
Quote:
323whp + 30whp
417wtq + 60wtq
those predictions are definitely a possibility! but expect huge torque increase in the lower RPM's, and a big drop off as it hits higher RPM's, its typical of the stock turbo on the N55.

what would be awesome is if you put a stage 2 turbo on it like my f30
you can do awesome things like this. ( this is still deep into development, but the dips are from my tires slipping on the dyno)
Holy crap! That's how you got your F30 to 500+. I was looking at your posts in the other threads and was like how the hell did you squeeze that out of that motor. What turbos and tune are you using?

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #38
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Getting big power is great but how much power can the stock n55 take before things start to break down? How much boost can the block handle? Is the factory fuel system adequate enough Maybe I'm old skool but a stock motor can only handle So much before u have to start upgrading the internals? It's great that the GSR tune will work great on a stock motor and I'm all in when it comes time to go with a tune.

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 06-15-2015 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #39
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap! That's how you got your F30 to 500+. I was looking at your posts in the other threads and was like how the hell did you squeeze that out of that motor. What turbos and tune are you using?
Lol yea I forgot i was in the F10 thread when I said that. Im running a single Pure Stage 2 turbo, with JB4 and all the stuff in my sig, the two graphs that have Euro on them have a little bit of flash tuning included also.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #40
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Getting big power is great but how much power can the stock n55 take before things start to break down? How much boost can the block handle? Is the factory fuel system adequate enough Maybe I'm old skool but a stock motor can only handle So much before u have to start upgrading the internals? It's great that the GSR tune will work great on a stock motor and I'm all in when it comes time to go with a tune.
well the stock N54 can hold 1000HP if that gives you any idea of how durable these motors are. Granted it had some forged internals, but I bet the N55 can handle at least 800 or so.
The dyno above was at 22psi, but we've taken it to 24psi with no issues.
This is also Eurocharged doing the flash tuning, they've flash tuned quite a few F30's in the US and Canada already and are making more power than GSR's flash. They're just another option if your not close to Cali.

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #41
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
well the stock N54 can hold 1000HP if that gives you any idea of how durable these motors are. Granted it had some forged internals, but I bet the N55 can handle at least 800 or so.
The dyno above was at 22psi, but we've taken it to 24psi with no issues.
This is also Eurocharged doing the flash tuning, they've flash tuned quite a few F30's in the US and Canada already and are making more power than GSR's flash. They're just another option if your not close to Cali.
Eurocharged has tuning options only for the E60. GSR has hit a breakthrough for us F10 guys and gals. Stage 2 is coming next. I'll post back soon.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #42
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eurocharged has tuning options only for the E60. GSR has hit a breakthrough for us F10 guys and gals. Stage 2 is coming next. I'll post back soon.
Eurocharged hasn't updated their website, if you email Jerry@eurocharged.com he can tell you the details. The F10 N55 platform is no diff than the F30 platform. Not trying to create competition, just trying to help the guys who arent close to GSR so they have more options.

Appreciate 2
      06-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #43
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eurocharged hasn't updated their website, if you email Jerry@eurocharged.com he can tell you the details. The F10 N55 platform is no diff than the F30 platform. Not trying to create competition, just trying to help the guys who arent close to GSR so they have more options.
So eurocharge has a flash tune as well for the f10? Didn't know that as people have posted everyone single tune out there for our car. It's Nice having options.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #44
Sadclown
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i

Thanks for passing along his info. I just emailed him and will regurgitate his response. This would be great for me since I'm in Houston as well.

Quote:
Appreciate 1