2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW sees 'most successful year' in its history

03-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

BMW sees 'most successful year' in its history

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BMW broke all kind of record last year and as a car company, they are as successful as ever. As a consumer, I must say their current lineup is one of the best on the market. Some here might think their current lineup is too soft or doesn’t handle well, but there is no arguing with the sales numbers. BMW have come a long way from being a niche car company of twenty some odd years ago to probably the number one luxury car maker in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21787576
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
BMW broke all kind of record last year and as a car company, they are as successful as ever. As a consumer, I must say their current lineup is one of the best on the market. Some here might think their current lineup is too soft or doesn’t handle well, but there is no arguing with the sales numbers. BMW have come a long way from being a niche car company of twenty some odd years ago to probably the number one luxury car maker in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21787576
Agree, the current BMW lineup is probably the best ever, something for everyone.

I don't follow the grumblings we read so often on the forums. OK there are a few build issues, but generally we have superb vehicles with options which can give us the ideal build, whatever our taste.

I know for my self, now having lived with an F11 535i M-sport wagon for 6 months, it is every bit a "real" BMW. I go back to my introduction to BMW with my father's New Class 2000, then into my first 5-series E12 528. Father went on to an E3 2500, a 3.0i and then into 7-series models.

The current F11 is the best BMW I've ever owned, no doubt about that at all. And I've had an E39 (540i), many rate the E39 as the pinnacle of BMW build etc., yes superb all round cars which I though I'd never beat, but I just love every mile I drive in the F11. Superb in every way, all the technology, driver selected configurations and options, give me a car I can drive to my mood. The ambience of the car and the feel of the drive, is right where it should be IMO, true BMW, BMW DNA oozing from the car.

Personally I don't think we have ever had it so good with BMW models, if we are not happy with the bread and butter models, and desire the sporting extras, we have M-cars to fill that need.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Although I'm selfish enough to wish BMW would sell "less" so I can see myself passing me by less, I totally can back up them being best sellers. My F10 is above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined. After spending 5 years in 4 different Benzes, BMW is so far ahead of Mercedes in every way imaginable, from tangible to intangible, it makes sense now as to why Mercedes slashes pricing on their E and C Classes so much (far more than BMW does) to remain competitive.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Although I'm selfish enough to wish BMW would sell "less" so I can see myself passing me by less,
I know exactly what you mean. Just the other day, I was walking back to my car at the supermarket. I saw this shopping cart right up against the rear quarter panel. I was pretty piss off and walk quickly to the car and pull the shopping cart out of the way. I then inspect the car for damage and saw none. I try to open the driver's door and for some reason it would not unlock. After a few more pull of the door handle and a peak inside the car. I realized that it was not my car even though it was the exactly same color and model. I breathe a sigh of relief and found my car about 5 spaces away. I drove off and think to myself that there are way too many F10s on the road
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
OzDriver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: '13 535i & '08 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Although I'm selfish enough to wish BMW would sell "less" so I can see myself passing me by less,
We don't have the problem of seeing too many F10s on our roads. They are still fairly rare here, although you do see a lot more BMWs than in the past (mostly 1 & 3 Series and X3s). However the lack of new 5s isn't related to quality or popularity, it's a result of the price. A base model 520i starts at over US$80k - and an M5 will set you back US$250K
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Just the other day, I was walking back to my car at the supermarket. I saw this shopping cart right up against the rear quarter panel. I was pretty piss off and walk quickly to the car and pull the shopping cart out of the way. I then inspect the car for damage and saw none. I try to open the driver's door and for some reason it would not unlock. After a few more pull of the door handle and a peak inside the car. I realized that it was not my car even though it was the exactly same color and model. I breathe a sigh of relief and found my car about 5 spaces away. I drove off and think to myself that there are way too many F10s on the road
Hahaha, that's hilarious.

Yeah, I was sitting in traffic the other day (actually this happened twice) and I noticed 2 or 3 other black F10's aside from me. Considering my car is so epic to me that I think of it as a gem of an automobile, it's funny to be in that situation. I've been around my fair share of black M Sports as well which has a battling of giving me the chance to see "my car" on the roads (which is always nice), yet sorta bugs me, however it doesn't bug me NEARLY as much as seeing E Classes did when I had one, due to the "Sport Package" being the standard/common/normal/un-special look. Reason being that BMW offers enough diversity and variety that lots of F10's on the road are visually separated from each other. Having an M Sport, though not exactly "rare" is still relatively rare-ish.
Appreciate 0