2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2012 550 - is this a good deal?

01-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Domonicdave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

2012 550 - is this a good deal?

So...I'm thinking of buying a 2012 550 loaded xdrive for $32,800. It has 48,000 miles on it. Carbon black. Black interior. Beautiful.

It has the N63 engine which has had the care package "recall". Service records show little work has happen to the car and show all the proper maintenance. One owner.

My Buddy who sells BMW says to beware of the N63 engine...so I'm concerned.

Deal or no deal?

All thoughts welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

I have a N63, if I could go back 8 months, I would've coughed up the extra $$ and got a N63tu equipped car.

There's no major issues outside of the CCP that has happened to my car but we are coming up on high mileage outside of warranty so longevity is a mystery.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonicdave
So...I'm thinking of buying a 2012 550 loaded xdrive for $32,800. It has 48,000 miles on it. Carbon black. Black interior. Beautiful.

It has the N63 engine which has had the care package "recall". Service records show little work has happen to the car and show all the proper maintenance. One owner.

Deal or no deal?

All thoughts welcome.
I have the 2011 n63. Bought it with 55k miles for $28,900, no warranty. Got the CCP done around 58k miles.

No issues since CCP but I'm at 66k miles currently, I'm feeling a very light rough idle. Could be the fuel pump which there is another recall for on the n63.

I would try and get a warranty if I was you just to be safe. I've got some mods done to my car otherwise I would have a warranty already.

Awesome car but there is nothing like peace of mind with that warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Give em 30k, they have that much room in it easy. Get extended warranty bumper to bumper for 5yr/50k miles for about 3grand. You are in a buying position to get what you want. Not many people are buying used cars 4yrs old for 30k. Make em do paint corrections and also replace worn radio and HVAC buttons, BMW has a kit for that. Also get tire warranty 5year unlimited miles for about 900. Covers aftermarket tires and rims up to OEM replacement cost. Sold cars and did finance in my 20s for Chevrolet for a couple years. Quote or pm me if you want any advice. Good luck with the buying.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Deal sounds fine (obviously negotiate as far down as possible), but be prepared to do one of the following that best suits you:

1. Buy a warranty

2. Be prepared to pay cash for any issues

The N63 has a less than stellar reputation, but I'd suggest the same with ANY used German luxury car. They're expensive cars, and they'll be expensive to fix WHEN something breaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I wouldnt put SOLE faith in a warranty, unless its a BMW extended warranty (not the underlying service contracts the BMW finance department tries to sell). There is no such thing as an aftermarket 'warranty'. Companies like Assurant (which is the main underlying company under majority of BMW 'Warranties'), Fidelity, USAA Extended Vehicle Protection, offer an "Extended Warranty" but they are legally known as service contracts. These service contracts vary but they all are similar, stating they can deny or accept a claim based on their investigation. If you read whatever contract that you sign, it states they can deny a claim solely on rust or corrosion or something absurd. You wouldn't be able to take them to court because there is a clause in the contract that protects them. Do your research, its all over the internet and has been known for many years that majority of the extended warranties are a gimmick. Unless its a manufacturer backed powertrain extension off the original factory warranty, like the CPO vehicles. Which brings me back to my original statement, if it isn't a BMW warranty (the same one they offer for CPO vehicles) I wouldn't even bother.

I would continue searching for a CPO vehicle and talk them down on the price, you'll be better off in the long run.

You're going into a vehicle that has a track record of being problematic, if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term, I wouldn't settle just because the deal is good. You could possibly save a few thousand dollars in the front end but who knows what it will cost you throughout ownership while gambling with an extended warranty.

Last edited by BlackWidow; 01-15-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #7
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
I wouldnt put faith in a warranty, unless its a BMW extended warranty (not the underlying service contracts the BMW finance department tries to sell). There is no such thing as an aftermarket 'warranty'. Companies like Assurant (which is the main underlying company under majority of BMW 'Warranties'), Fidelity, USAA Extended Vehicle Protection, offer an "Extended Warranty" but they are legally known as service contracts. These service contracts vary but they all are similar, stating they can deny or accept a claim based on their investigation. If you read whatever contract that you sign, it states they can deny a claim solely on rust or corrosion or something absurd. You wouldn't be able to take them to court because there is a clause in the contract that protects them. Do your research, its all over the internet and has been known for many years that majority of the extended warranties are a gimmick. Unless its a manufacturer backed powertrain extension off the original factory warranty, like the CPO vehicles. Which brings me back to my original statement, if it isn't a BMW warranty (the same one they offer for CPO vehicles) I wouldn't even bother.

I would continue searching for a CPO vehicle and talk them down on the price, you'll be better off in the long run.

You're going into a vehicle that has a track record of being problematic, if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term, I wouldn't settle just because the deal is good. You could possibly save a few thousand dollars in the front end but who knows what it will cost you throughout ownership while gambling with an extended warranty.
WTF, any warranty is going to have the "fine print" disclosures. I can tell you this, I had a '08 tundra that had to have a side mirror replaced because the motor was f-ed up, $900 bucks. $100 dollar deductible and Fidelity paid the rest. So yeah, go ahead and skip the warranty on a BMW, should be way less than a Toyota. There is always going to be a percentage of bad experiences posted on the internet. Nobody goes out of their way to say the warranty provider did what they were supposed to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #8
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
WTF, any warranty is going to have the "fine print" disclosures. I can tell you this, I had a '08 tundra that had to have a side mirror replaced because the motor was f-ed up, $900 bucks. $100 dollar deductible and Fidelity paid the rest. So yeah, go ahead and skip the warranty on a BMW, should be way less than a Toyota. There is always going to be a percentage of bad experiences posted on the internet. Nobody goes out of their way to say the warranty provider did what they were supposed to do.
Lol, nowhere did I say they deny EVERY claim. Nowhere did I say he shouldn't get a warranty. I advised to get a BMW warranty not an aftermarket warranty.

For example:
Fidelity has a 1.3 star review on Consumer Affairs, less than 2 stars on Yelp, and couldn't get accredited by the Better Business Bureau.

If these companies covered every claim they would go broke, do your research, and I'm not talking about online forums. RESEARCH and you will find these contracts, because LEGALLY they are not a warranty, is a gimmick.

Last edited by BlackWidow; 01-15-2016 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Based on the above info, you're advising to the OP to put faith in a company like Fidelity for his $36,000 engine. Numbers don't lie. Plus, if you truly have Fidelity and read the copious disclosures, you know that they won't cover a repair if the repair is more than the percentage of the vehicle's worth. A brand new engine, + labor is more than the purchase price of a N63 equipped 550 on the market.

Because when you're on the market for a warranty, you're obviously concerned about reliability with the worse case scenario in mind. The statement above should paint the perfect picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, you brought yelp into it, you win.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Coming from the E60 M5 group, Fidelity is garbage. They would deny claims for the smallest things, just to dodge replacing the engine on a beast. Good points brought up though.. Everyone has different experiences, but your vehicle purchase decision shouldn't be made off an extended warranty which the OP didn't even mention in the first place lol. If you can't maintain it, you shouldn't buy it, simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK2BLN View Post
Coming from the E60 M5 group, Fidelity is garbage. They would deny claims for the smallest things, just to dodge replacing the engine on a beast. Good points brought up though.. Everyone has different experiences, but your vehicle purchase decision shouldn't be made off an extended warranty which the OP didn't even mention in the first place lol. If you can't maintain it, you shouldn't buy it, simple as that.
Yeah, got a little off track but you are speaking the truth....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 11:26 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #14
Domonicdave
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm looking at other cars today and maybe increasing my budget to get to a N63tu motor and with a BMW CPO.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #15
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK2BLN View Post
If you can't maintain it, you shouldn't buy it, simple as that.
Guys, this is the plain truth of it - if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Cars are so unpredictable, you really need to assume the thing can be a total loss in the worst case scenario. And yes, many warranties have hit and miss reputations, so it's hard to place 100% faith in them. While they can make financial sense (assuming they're paying out when necessary), the truth is you SHOULD be able to comfortably self-insure if you're buying a car in this class... and if not, you're over-extending yourself - time to consider a less expensive, new car, under factory warranty.

This is why the most expensive in the German luxury car line-ups TANK the hardest in depreciation curve. They get ridiculously expensive to maintain outside of warranty. So, if you find yourself in a situation to "care" for one outside of warranty, just make sure you're prepared for it. I have little sympathy for someone who's over-extending just to own a nice BMW and then finds they can't afford to maintain it. This uniquely American way of thinking lead to the 2008 financial/housing crisis, and people seemingly wised-up over the years that followed... but I fear we're going right back there soon enough.

None of the above is a judgement on the OP, btw, as I don't know anything about his situation... but just a general observation. If you find yourself stressing about a warranty, the cost of any particular repair that may emerge, what annual services may cost, etc, you should seriously reconsider whether you're over-extending your finances.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
This is why the most expensive in the German luxury car line-ups TANK the hardest in depreciation curve. They get ridiculously expensive to maintain outside of warranty.
It's even worse than that because it's not just the cost of repair. There's an even bigger problem which is that such cars (including the 550i) are very difficult to repair right.

I would say that it's almost hopeless when something serious goes wrong. Repeated service visits, collateral damage, things are never 100% right again, etc. Dealerships for the most part don't have the resources to do such highly complex jobs. The may claim they can do it, but it's not really the case.

When you buy one of these, you have to realize that at some point you may need to write it off because of problems. I wouldn't buy a 550i new or used. Would only lease it. I'm surprised there is a market at all for these cars used with significant mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #17
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Use Penfed Credit Union to finance your purchase. Anyone can become a member if you ask a rep for the work-around. The interest rates are really good but almost more importantly, you'll also have the option to buy a Route66 warranty. Route66 is only available through partner lending institutions and is not available if the auto is not financed through a partner lending institution. The warranty is well reviewed on this forum is moderately priced. You'll be covered 5 years or 100K. For the price and features, it's a no-brainer in your situation.

https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
Domonicdave
Private
Rep

I've looked at several 550s now.

The 2012 that I refer to in the main post is good except for one detail...the warranty. The salesman tried to sell an extended warranty with a company call "Certified Warranty Solutions" which I couldn't find on Google. I emailed the salesman asking for more information on "Certified Warranty Solution" and I haven't heard back. So, I scratched that car and company off my list.

I then visited a 2013 with 29,000 miles listed at $44K. The saleslady didn't know anything about the vehicle except that it did have a BMW CPO. She rode with me in a test drive (so I couldn't toss it around too much), so honestly, I would have passed on the 550 if it was my first time behind the wheel. The car is pretty much a base - so kind of boring really (relatively).

I then drove a 2014 Q70 5.6 CPO for $44K and it was fully loaded with all the technology. The salesguy was drooling over the car like my daughter does with ice cream. My opinion after a lively test drive was a solid....Meh.

Then I drove a 2014 550 CPO with 42K for $48K. It has the appropriate bell and whistles and they allowed me to hit the highway with it. BAM. There it was - The Car.

Listing to BCK2BLN, I think going with the N63TU is a good idea and getting into the CPO is probably the best of any of the other offered extended warranty companies. Keeping up with the maintenance won't be a problem - we all realize that keeping a machine well maintained lowers cost over all. I looked at depreciation of a new versus CPO and I'm comfortable with that aspect of buying the car (man the 550 really depreciates quickly and that surprise me!)

SO...I haven't put any money down yet, but I will this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #19
corys530
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonicdave View Post

Deal or no deal?

All thoughts welcome.
I was going to tell you all about my experiences with the BMW V8 engines
then i saw this post three down below yours.....it says it all

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212437
2014 328i
2012 535i
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

I won't buy another BMW V8 with the issues on the N63. That being said, it's a great car, I have a Route 66 extended 'full' coverage warranty and am happy with it.

I would pony up a little extra and get a 2013+ model with the N63-TU engine. It won't be that much more and there haven't been CCP issues (yet) with it, and you get a bump in HP and tq. And you can probably find one with 30k miles under factory maintenance and warranty. That's the route I'd go.
      01-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #21
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
I won't buy another BMW V8 with the issues on the N63.
One of my friend is an Audi mechanic, he once told me "if you want a reliable and smooth 6 cylinder engine, get a BMW. If you want to buy a German V8 TT engine, get a Mercedes".
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #22
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
One of my friend is an Audi mechanic, he once told me "if you want a reliable and smooth 6 cylinder engine, get a BMW. If you want to buy a German V8 TT engine, get a Mercedes".
What about the Audi 4.0 TFSI V8 TT?
Appreciate 0