2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media TurboSmart install tips i wante to pass on for those interested

04-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

TurboSmart install tips i wante to pass on for those interested

so just wanted to touch on the diverter valve project just because there's still not a whole lot of info about them for the F10 platform and just wanted to give some tips on what i had to do and the issues that came along the way. first things first the Go Fast Bits diverter valve you actually still retain and use the OEM housing but you end up replacing the internal valve which comes with all that you see here. this supposedly over the OEM per manufacturer diverter valve improves performance and reliability. Exclusive pilot activation system allows HIGHER boostpressure. The end result is sharper throttle response, lightning-fast valve actuation, and the ability to hold as much boost as you can throw at it.

The TurboSmart actually replaces the whole OEM diverter valve unit. because it's a dual it does both plumb vents back into the air intake and also into the atmosphere. the percentage from my research shows 50\50.

here you can see the side by side comparison

first things first was the car needs to be lifted. give yourself enough clearance to move around more easily. here's about how high mine was

first thing was to remove the under belly pan. than you will need to loosen the sway bar brackets just enough so that the sway bar will drop down and be somewhat out of your way. next was disconnect the water pump from the attached bracket. this was a total of 3 torx bolts. 2 at the bottom and one at the top. now the top was easier to get to if you remove the wheel well fender lining on the passenger side like so

from there you can see the torx bolt actually covered up with a line in front of it

all you have to do is get back underneath and reach over the water pump until you can feel that line and just pull up as it's attached to a clip. now you can easily see the torx bolt

than after that was removed i than removed the water pump bracket itself to give me more room. i used a bungee chord to pull the water pump towards the wheel well to give me room to the diverter valve. you will see clearly what it will take to get to the 3 allen bolts.

Note:
now the issue i want to address is the OEM diverter valve housing allows you to access the 3 allen bolts at all 3 connections somewhat easy except the top 3rd bolt. using ball end extended allen heads along with universal joint socket adaptors along with various extensions will makes this easier to get to working the limited space at hand. the great thing about the ball end allens is that you don't have to be straight on the bolt to remove as you can be off angle and still be able to turn and unscrew the allen bolt

the issue i ran into was installing the new TurboSmart diverter valve because it's much larger which doesn't allow you to pre screw the supplied allen bolts back into place from a straight on angle if that makes sense? Using black tape to hold the new allen bolt to the extended allen helped but because you're coming in from an angle and you're trying to insert the bolt without cross threading them because of that angle you're in. so don't use an impact gun on this part until you got the bolt somewhat screwed in by hand first so you don't accidently cross thread it. once you do get a few turns by hand than you can use an impact gun to tighten the bolt down. so it took alot of time, effort and all the patience in the world. But at the same time it didn't help with the little work space that was given. I spent a good 5 hours doing this including putting everything back.

so if you guys have any questions feel free to PM me or comment here

you can hear the TurboSmart during the revs
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 4
Sylverlee150.00
ey2001310.00
      04-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

5 hours sounds like alot of work haha. What took the most amount of time?
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Lol the notorious top bolt. Every one said they had the same issue no matter what platform BMW
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Lol the notorious top bolt. Every one said they had the same issue no matter what platform BMW
I've seen some people take out the radiator fan area? Did you attempt that
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
That's only if you plan on removing the water pump. I did not want that mess on the garage floor and the hassle of bleeding the coolant system
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00
      04-16-2020, 11:16 PM   #6
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

More and more I hear your car I want it... hahaha it would sound awesome!!
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #7
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
That's only if you plan on removing the water pump. I did not want that mess on the garage floor and the hassle of bleeding the coolant system
Seems like this may be one of those things to do while replacing the water pump then. Good write up btw!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encendido3 View Post
Seems like this may be one of those things to do while replacing the water pump then. Good write up btw!
thanks brother. it probably would be a good time. there's quite a few install videos not just the TurboSmart but the GFB that have done this without removing the water pump but it's just a PITA. Just wanted to be able to add some info and context when the next DIY starts searching the threads on this topic for some help or pointers
Appreciate 0