2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Owners, does your car hesitate or jerk at 0-10 mph??

03-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #155
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Just dropped car off at dealer for hesitation and jerking at low speeds. Will update as soon as I get it back.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #156
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimaster24 View Post
Just dropped car off at dealer for hesitation and jerking at low speeds. Will update as soon as I get it back.
Ask them specifically is there was a software update for this, or whether or not they just reset to the learning routine.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #157
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

I tried playing with gas pedal in N and P, and found something interesting. If you press gas pedal slightly(2k-ish), RPM will go up, and then come down to 1k in about 2 seconds. Once you go over 3-4k rpm, it doesn't seem to come down. Anyone wanna try this with your F10 and see if it's same? I don't think my 1series before did this. This might be related to uneven gas pedal response with F10.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #158
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Just got back from the dealer.Very disappointing. They said that due to my aftermarket HID xenon lights installed on my fogs and low beams, there were numerous under voltage faults set causing the drive train fault. UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Spoke to the Service manager and it was just like talking to a wall. He basically just repeated what was written on the service invoice.

Just thought I'd let you guys know since I promised to give you an update when I got the car back.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #159
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
Angry

Quote:
Just got back from the dealer.Very disappointing. They said that due to my aftermarket HID xenon lights installed on my fogs and low beams, there were numerous under voltage faults set causing the drive train fault. UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Spoke to the Service manager and it was just like talking to a wall. He basically just repeated what was written on the service invoice.

Just thought I'd let you guys know since I promised to give you an update when I got the car back.
Those dealer guys are so incompetent.

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 03:01 AM   #160
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Quote:

WHAT!!?... xenon lights linked to engine performance??

I would send them an e-mail asking for technical clarification.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #161
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
WHAT!!?... xenon lights linked to engine performance??

I would send them an e-mail asking for technical clarification.
Did you tell them to turn off the lights and retest
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #162
Gsearles
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i x-drive

I too have noticed major sluggishness from a stop in normal mode, like many on here.

Have experimented a bit. In sport mode seems to be much less of a problem. More tellingly: If I go to manual shift mode and drop to first gear there's NO hesitation. From manual in second gear it's awful. So I think it's likely the transmission going to second gear when it shouldn't and expect that this could be corrected with re-programming by BMW. Thoughts?

Greg
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #163
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
Did you tell them to turn off the lights and retest
Another SA in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #164
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsearles View Post
I too have noticed major sluggishness from a stop in normal mode, like many on here.

Have experimented a bit. In sport mode seems to be much less of a problem. More tellingly: If I go to manual shift mode and drop to first gear there's NO hesitation. From manual in second gear it's awful. So I think it's likely the transmission going to second gear when it shouldn't and expect that this could be corrected with re-programming by BMW. Thoughts?

Greg
The transmission and engine software have been programmed with one major goal in mind..........Fuel Efficiency. The MPG standards are starting to become a real issue for all car manufacturers. That's why you are seeing the eight speed transmission, or stop/start technology coming on board. This is the reason why all of us experience the 1-2 shift (sometimes 1-2-3... if light on the throttle!) going through an intersection. Look at the RPM's and the shift band is only about 500 RPM.

This is all fixable through software and the more people complain to BMW, the more likely they will fix it. Write them an e-mail on their Website, call the dealer you bought the car from. If and when it does come out, I would not be surprised to see a form that we would have to sign, agreeing to some lower overall gas mileage. I still remain hopeful that they are working on an update. So far all I have seen is that the Dealer re-sets the transmission to the learning routine. Or many of us have been driving in "DS" mode, which lenghtens that shift point a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #165
kettasii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011

For me, hesitation and jerking from a stop definitely was fixed by SIB 12 22 10. Details can be found at http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...499303&page=15. When I first got the car back, it had a new problem. I think torque converter was not locking up as it supposed to. Felt like the slush box of my old Lexus. Gas mileage was a bit lower too. Finally got it fixed. The only information I could get out of the dealer was adaptation reset.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #166
Sonnie
Bama Hillbilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i

Glad I found this thread. I thought it was just me and not knowing how to drive a BMW. My 2011 528i has this same hesitation when driving off from a dead stop or slow roll.

It has become aggravating. My wife looked at me rather funny the other day when I almost gave her a whiplash when taking off from a STOP sign.

At least I know it seems to be a common problem and there may be fixes out there for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #167
delman27
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Noticed Same Issue

Folks,

I brought my 3 series in for numerous recalls and they gave me an 11 528i loaner. I loved the exterior looks and the finish of the interior. It also rides with that BMW feel (firm, composed, but not harsh) that I fell in love with 15 years ago. With that said, I had the same issues spoke of throughout this thread. I simply could not achieve a smooth takeoff in stop and go traffic. Every other scenario seemed fine.

The throttle tip in has an artificial feel to it and is non-linear. You have two options from a stop or a slow roll- give it some gas and the car storms ahead or feather it and it lurches while immediately going for second gear. In many situations, especially when driving conservatively, it would be better for the trans to start from second gear which should allow for a considerably smoother launch. The other option is to have the vehicle hold first a bit longer before shifting but I imagine that would be a detriment to fuel economy.

It ruined what was otherwise a very positive experience with an incredible machine. It is simply not acceptable and I hope it gets sorted out. The electronic "aids" seem to be impeding a heck of a nice drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #168
bpon89
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Msport

I've just read through all 8 pages of this forum. I know there's something wrong with my car because it doesn't feel like the experience I should be expecting. When I start on regular D mode, the car feels so slow and I feel like I'd be sucking more gas if I kept it like this. When I put it on Sport mode, the driving from stop is much better, yet I do feel this lag too (which I assumed was the "turbo lag"). The problem I feel is when braking. Especially during traffic time, braking is a horrible experience. I mean I had an IS350 Lexus and I kept that thing in "sport" ECT power mode too but it didn't have such a crazy jerking feeling in stop and go traffic. At first I thought it was the engine, downshifting as I'm braking to slow my car down. But in stop and go traffic, my car is already slow! Wow, I just realized this while typing this up...now I'm pretty sure I have a problem!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #169
Gsearles
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpon89 View Post
I've just read through all 8 pages of this forum. I know there's something wrong with my car because it doesn't feel like the experience I should be expecting. When I start on regular D mode, the car feels so slow and I feel like I'd be sucking more gas if I kept it like this. When I put it on Sport mode, the driving from stop is much better, yet I do feel this lag too (which I assumed was the "turbo lag"). The problem I feel is when braking. Especially during traffic time, braking is a horrible experience.
Better get that checked out. As you've seen, there are lots of complaints about hesitation but I've never heard a single complaint about the brakes in the F10. Most people love the brakes. Suspect something is amiss in your car. Hope they can rectify it! And like many others I'm hoping for a software update that addresses transmission performance at low speed.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #170
Rushfan1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Acura RL

New to forum. Test drove a 535ix and noticed the lack of response (lag) when accellerating from a stop cited here. Was a bit of a let down, as I liked everything else about the car.

Just curious, does the 550ix have the same issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #171
Dan335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535 M Sport

12/10 build 535 M Sport. It's a jerker. Taking it in and I`ll keep you posted on any fixes
      04-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #172
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpon89 View Post
I've just read through all 8 pages of this forum. I know there's something wrong with my car because it doesn't feel like the experience I should be expecting. When I start on regular D mode, the car feels so slow and I feel like I'd be sucking more gas if I kept it like this. When I put it on Sport mode, the driving from stop is much better, yet I do feel this lag too (which I assumed was the "turbo lag"). The problem I feel is when braking. Especially during traffic time, braking is a horrible experience. I mean I had an IS350 Lexus and I kept that thing in "sport" ECT power mode too but it didn't have such a crazy jerking feeling in stop and go traffic. At first I thought it was the engine, downshifting as I'm braking to slow my car down. But in stop and go traffic, my car is already slow! Wow, I just realized this while typing this up...now I'm pretty sure I have a problem!

I know what you mean... I have the same thing.

When i lift my foot off the gas pedal, the car will slow down on it's own by downshifting 3dr, 2nd, 1st... it actually does feel like the car is breaking on it's own - but of course it's all gears, no breaks. In the end I would just have to touch the break to put the car in full stop. I think this is related to the same transmission issue causing jerking and hesitation.

For jerking and hesitation my dealer did a throttle reset the first time, and it made everything smooth for about a week. After that it was back as it was.

The second time BMW recommended the "latest software update for the transmission/acceleration delay issue released by BMW version ISTA/P 2.41.1" as they put it. My dealer insalled it. This also made things very smooth for about 3 days, then the jerking hesitation came back worst than before.

Still working with the dealer to find a fix.

to be continued...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #173
Jim_in_Calgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi MSport - TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory View Post
This is exactly correct.

I test drove a rwd 535i and asked the CA about the delay between throttle and response and he told me it was because the car was starting in second gear. Didn't seem right to me but I've noticed this on a lot car. It concerns me.. but over on Bimmerfest they're insisting it goes away with time.
That is exactly what mine feels like. I believe this to be the case. The car starts out with a lazy launch in second for fuel economy, but then you depress the accelerator a little further because the acceleration seems slower than you wanted, the car needs a split second to downshift into first.

08 BMW K1200S / 2002 330ci Sport (sold) / 1989 635csi (sold)
07.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LMM
09 Honda Odyssey EX-L
'75 Ford - Early Bronco
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #174
Dr. Mohammed
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2010 (f10)

After so many sessions: they've resolved the jolting problem by reprgramming the EGS. Still I can feel very, very soft jolts when the gear shifts. The problem now, is that when sometimes I try to step on the accelerator after taking a turn , the car does not respond only after like 3-4 seconds and the car feels in a higher gear. this problem was there already but overshadowed by the jolting. :S
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #175
DChaffins
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Dr Mohammed,

How long has it been since your EGS was reprogramed? Like others, any efforts to resolve the issue by my dealership have lasted only a short while.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #176
Dr. Mohammed
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2010 (f10)

Still, this is the first week. The jolting is gone but I still think this is only one symptom being relieved while the real problem is not solved, yet. Now, instead of feeling the jolts, I feel delay between the accelerator and the engine.

It is really annoying, this whole thing and I had thoughts of selling the car which even then, I don't feel right selling a broken car to someone else. :S
Appreciate 0