2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications How Does JB4 work?

04-22-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
NYBimmer535
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

How Does JB4 work?

looking through tuning options for MY'11 535 X drive

Ive seen the big 3 ones are JB4, MHD, BM3

general word is that JB4 is the best but how does that compare to MHD? Does JB4 still get all the options for burbble and everything else? will be looking to go with an ECU and trans tune here in the next week or so
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 07:51 AM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

JB4- piggy back. Modifies sensor signals to the DME to fool it into doing what the JB4 wants it to do.

BM3/ MHD- tunes that get flashed into the DME replacing the original software.

I never heard JB4 in the N55 world be considered the best. For a while it was the only option though. Very easy to work with and has a ton of support from the community and Burger Motorsports. It also has a lot of built-in safeties. It also has outputs to run the burger motorsports meth injection kit.

People talk down on it because it's a piggy back but it was and IMO still is a great, affordable, reliable, and easy to install option. I had it on my car for about a year with no issues. But, being a piggy it is limited in some ways. For example, it cant do burbles, or (at least back when I had it) can't account for B58 coil upgrades, set a cooler oil target temp, and more. So it really all depends on what you want out of your car and how far you want to take it.

For trans tune xHP is the only option for us... and it works excellent. I've been on xHP Stage3 for a while now and love it. I do suggest you do a transmission fluid service (a normal pan-drop which is a new pan/ filter and about 4 liters of fluid) before you do xHP. If people tell you the trans fluid is lifetime and you shouldn't replace it... slap them over the head. There is no such thing as a lubricant that doesn't break down with shear-action, time, and contamination. "Lifetime fluid" is 100% a marketing term
      04-24-2023, 11:44 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The JB4 is a piggyback system that operates by deceiving the ECU into producing increased boost and generating more power.

What sets the JB4 apart from other piggyback systems are its exclusive features, such as boost by gear (improved traction), boost by RPM (enhanced traction, smoother power delivery, and increased performance), data logging, code reading and clearing, as well as safety failsafes that protect the engine in case of overboosting or lean running conditions.

It's important to note that the JB4 does not alter the burble or transmission settings.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0