2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Full Extended Black Panel Display real life pics on F10

03-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #67
Mtechnique
Old member of E 60 *****!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M sport

[I made so many calls and sent emails just to find out anything about this week 9 change for the US. My car (with 610 and 6WA) is in the paint shop today so maybe in a few weeks I can post photos although have to think others may have cars before.[/QUOTE]

My car was in the Paint shop on week 8 and it is sailing as we speak
I asked for both 610 and 6WA. My whole order was contingent on the above two options and my dealer assures me that my car will have those
It looks like mine will be one of the fist batch with these options
Will post details also when I get it at the end of the month

Last edited by Mtechnique; 03-15-2011 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: quote mark missing
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #68
BSorensen
BMW OSLO Norway
Norway
Rep
Drives: e91 + f11

Could't take any good pics of the head up. The new black panel looks very good!
Here's a pic of the new connecteddrive menu.
On the right side, the DAB tuner info. Shows artist, next song and so on...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #69
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
Mmmm. Apps / Plugin is no good with an Iphone 4 without the adapter which isn't now available until July!!! I'll be going a few months from getting my car to being able to use this.
      03-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #70
x-fibre
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSorensen View Post
Could't take any good pics of the head up. The new black panel looks very good!
Here's a pic of the new connecteddrive menu.
On the right side, the DAB tuner info. Shows artist, next song and so on...
Can you please post photos of the HUD and the black panel? Even low-res bad pics. My car was built March 8th so I would like to see if I will be getting the color HUD. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #71
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybimmer View Post
I seriously dont think car manufacturers should make major changes in car specs mid MY at random intervals which are unfair in nature such that a previous buyer of the same year/model/option for the same price gets an outdated version of software/hardware.
Its unfair and totally cheap though when out of nowhere the same idrive for the same price gets bunch of new features!....
Its total BS what BMW does.
On the contrary, what you wrote is total BS.
Why should every one get out dated technology just because you bought yours???!!!
And you are up in arms just because other people get extra features for the same price you paid?
Wow, not only total BS, but very selfish as well.

Unlike car production cycle, computer technology moves ahead in weeks and months, not years. So I applaud what BMW is doing, absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #72
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsha View Post

So basically you dont want them to do any improvements because you already bought your car and noone else should have the improvements if you cant.

There will always be something bigger and better around the corner, its how the world works, does it really matter at what intervals that is allowed to happen?
I haven't yet bought the car, and I am of like opinion. If you buy a 2012 early in the cycle, then you are driving a car that feature wise will not be the same as a 2012 later in the cycle. It used to be that this would only happen if you bought a car of different model years, not anymore.

I am not at all opposed to improvement of the model line, but am not so anxious to buy when I know if I wait "just a little longer" I can get a new feature that isn't available now and isn't likely to be able to be added. In the run of the 2012 5 series, this includes the combox, color HUD and black panel dash. None of these features are undesirable and offer a significant upgrade in the auto. These are things that people typically wait a model year for and are typically features that distinguish a model year from another.

I was prepared to buy a F10, but waited because of the combox. The combox cars were arriving and I found myself in a cash pinch at year end. Thinking I would buy shortly after the new year, I heard about the black panel and color HUD. NO WAY would I buy a car without those features... Now I am wondering what will occur next? What did I do? Buy an extended warranty for my 335... bummer, but I have enough of a time dealing with a volatile stock market and small business. Last thing I need is buyer's remorse because if I had waited just a very short time more, some fabulous new feature would arrive. The type of thing I would expect at a model year change, not quarterly.

What this looks like to me is not an innovative company, but one who is trying to bring a hastily engineered product up to current tech after releasing a rushed to market product.

Paul Jaruszewski

So what do you guys think will be added to the F10 next?

btw., saw a beautiful new white 535 405 fwy South exiting Harbor Blvd. tonight. Tinted windows, paper plates. That was me you almost hit... No worries, didn't mind the closer look at your car and got to see how your suspension handled quick maneuver... Very well! PJ

Last edited by kd6lor; 03-16-2011 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #73
d-rive
the iREAL STIG
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d 2007 & 530d 2011

Sorry but a car is made for driving pleasure instead "gamers" addict.
I think with all these gadgets you are loosing the point.
So please, don't buy a car. Get a computer, a cinema room, a massage saloon and a lot other things.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #74
dagobertsmurf
6MT forever
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Zipcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd6lor View Post
So what do you guys think will be added to the F10 next?
FULL LED Headlights, hover conversion by Goldie Willson III, Mr. Fusion energy reactor, the Flux Capacitor... ooops, those are not supposed to be released until 2015.

Quote:
What this looks like to me is not an innovative company, but one who is trying to bring a hastily engineered product up to current tech after releasing a rushed to market product.

So you are saying the iDrive technology, the full color HUD, etc. of the 5er when it was released in March of 2010 was outdated and they are only now bringing it up to current tech???

You need to learn more about product development cycles and the associated R&D that goes with it in the automotive, electronic & other related industries. If the same kind of progress was being made in dental technology then drills, periodontal probes and other tools straight out of the Stone Age would have been replaced by A.I. guided laser beams that work in conjunction with smart nanomaterials to fix, repair and maintain teeth all at the molecular level.

Seriously, have you seen the navigation systems in an Acura or a Lexus???They are ancient in comparison to BMW's iDrive, and by your standards of "current tech" Volvo's must have been developed in the late Stone Age or the early Bronze Age.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #75
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobertsmurf View Post
FULL LED Headlights [snip]
That's actually coming in March... haha - Just kidding.

Quote:
So you are saying the iDrive technology, the full color HUD, etc. of the 5er when it was released in March of 2010 was outdated and they are only now bringing it up to current tech???
My mistake, I didn't realize they had full color HUD in March 2010. And no, that is not what I am saying. I suppose the best way to put it is I am nostalgic for the good old days when you could buy a car and it would be the same for a model year, not have to regret that if you only had waited a month or two you would have a feature that you may find desirable - one that you would traditionally expect to be released during a model year update.

Quote:
You need to learn more about product development cycles and the associated R&D that goes with it in the automotive, electronic & other related industries.
Actually, I don't. Watching how BMW has changed the 5 series since it's introduction has taught me everything I need to know. I don't particularly care how they do their updates, but that is not their problem, it is mine. And so what? It's just my opinion. I understand the position of the pro-frequent-updates people, I just don't like it, nor do I agree with their positions. Again, no big deal...

[QUOTE=dagobertsmurf;9137961]If the same kind of progress was being made in dental technology then drills, periodontal probes and other tools straight out of the Stone Age would have been replaced by A.I. guided laser beams that work in conjunction with smart nanomaterials to fix, repair and maintain teeth all at the molecular level. [/QUOTE}

Actually that dental technology is available now, it is only used on people who drive 6 and 7 series.

Quote:
Seriously, have you seen the navigation systems in an Acura or a Lexus???They are ancient in comparison to BMW's iDrive, and by your standards of "current tech" Volvo's must have been developed in the late Stone Age or the early Bronze Age.
I have seen and played with most nav systems and to be honest find most of them crap. Wish they would all hire out to Garmin and have highly responsive touch sensitive displays AND an iDrive knob, which I am actually quite fond of unless I am trying to spell a word. Feels like trying to enter your name after winning a high score on an Asteroids video game from the distant past.

Paul
      03-16-2011, 02:22 AM   #76
BSorensen
BMW OSLO Norway
Norway
Rep
Drives: e91 + f11

The car has to be in a active route to show 3D, try to take pictures... Afraid it wouldn't show at all. All March production should be the new full colour
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:39 AM   #77
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Just FYI, production - week 6 2011 - no colour HUD and no black LED panel. Still a great experience!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #78
Bamsha
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 2011

Quote:
Actually, I don't. Watching how BMW has changed the 5 series since it's introduction has taught me everything I need to know. I don't particularly care how they do their updates, but that is not their problem, it is mine. And so what? It's just my opinion. I understand the position of the pro-frequent-updates people, I just don't like it, nor do I agree with their positions. Again, no big deal...
Fair enough. I think its a glass is half full/half empty kind of thing.

You feel you get cheated out of things getting added after you buy, but if they had your approach, you would not get the new combox until 2012, and would actually have had less than you do now.

If they only changed things once a year, it would only mean they would add alot more stuff at a single point, making the diffrence between years that much bigger. There is so much more technology available now compared to 20 years ago that adding things so seldom doesnt make sense anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #79
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

OK, my CA just got back to me with a bulletin he received from BMWNA. I won't post it here because I don't know if it was intended for that purpose (probably it was, I'm just not sure). Regardless, I can give you US prospective purchasers the gist of it.

Unfortunately, BMW writes these things like they build their cars. Confusing. The bulletin definitely says Color HUD is included on 5 series and GTs for March production cars ordered with HUD (Option 610). That's fine. The problem is that an "extended display" will also be included with Option 610, but the only feature of this display mentioned is the extra width with more info. Nothing about black out when the car is off, gradually lighting up when you turn it on, etc. Further, the bulletin clearly states that if you PREVIOUSLY ORDERED A [PLAIN] 5 SERIES SEDAN WITH NAV THIS EXTENDED DISPLAY WAS ALREADY INCLUDED!

So let me ask those of you in the US who have NAV on your F10 535 or 550: do you have the extended display? Does it black out?

I told my CA, in effect, that if he wanted this deal to close soon he'd better get this straightened out.

HTH.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #80
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
So let me ask those of you in the US who have NAV on your F10 535 or 550: do you have the extended display? Does it black out?
My first F10 US spec, delivered 06-19-10 release date of F10, 550i comes with NAV and I had no extended dispay and no black out.

My current on order US spec F10 is build week 12, have ordered 610 and 6WA (and 6NR) and is scheduled to be delivered week 14, will let you know about it.
      03-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #81
2001S15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 911 Targa / 24 X7 / 08 S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
My first F10 US spec, delivered 06-19-10 release date of F10, 550i comes with NAV and I had no extended dispay and no black out.

My current on order US spec F10 is build week 12, have ordered 610 and 6WA (and 6NR) and is scheduled to be delivered week 14, will let you know about it.
Tangentially related question: What's your reasoning for ordering a US-spec model in Germany? Is there something the US model has that the EU ones don't? It normally seems to be the other way around
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #82
M3 SMGII
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives:

Nobody with new picturee yet? I have read that somebody would take delivery his new car on 15th march. Nobody new car?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #83
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I am able to buy US spec car based on my occupation. The financial savings are tremendous. Also, no plans to return anytime soon but if I were to return to the US it would be impractical to ship a EU spec car.
      03-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #84
sequal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 2011

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Does anyone know if there will be a software update for the existing models to get the connected drive menu?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #85
7woodman7
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

@M3 SMG:
Thought i get my car on 15th but the papers are not ready yet!
Car is allready at the dealers place! Hope i can post more pics soon!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #86
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

What is the icon in the 7th picture with the two cars (red/black) next to each other?

Is that the Active Blind Spot Detection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Jon View Post
Thanks to 7woodman7 another BIMMERPOST forum member.

http://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/f10-...203795717.html

Attachment 495666

Attachment 495667

Attachment 495668

Attachment 495669

Attachment 495670

Attachment 495671

Attachment 495672

Here's a video of full black panel display on the GT:

And here's a description of the 5-series black panel display from the F10 sedan brochure:

Attachment 495684

Photo showing how to tell difference between regular display and full black panel:

Attachment 495682
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #87
tallshorty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

Any way to retro-fit this new instrument panel?

Man I really like how sleek the new instrument panel is. I don't know why they made the old one so asymmetrical with the "black panel" extending only to the right. It ergs me every time I drive at night!

I wonder if we can just drive our f10's into a dealership and ask them to install the new panel. I don't mind paying up to $500 to get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #88
j3o3t3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

what comes w/6WA?

wondering what else if anything is a part of the pkg 6WA that includes this black panel display, or is it std equip????
Appreciate 0