2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK BMW Car Insurance

03-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

BMW Car Insurance

Hi chaps

I've had my car insurance with BMW from day one and not the car is six years old and my renewal quote is getting higher each year I'm wondering whether to leave them and find another insurer. I stayed with them as I was told that in the event of a body shop claim they will send the car to an approved BMW dealership.

What is the stance with other insurers from your knowledge and experience?

I having been paying a higher premium as I had a car hit me from behind and I had the work done at sytner as found the claim straight forward. Are other insurers going to send my pride and joy to their own garages?

Thanks in advance.

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

I'm currently going through a claim for an accident that happened before xmas, it's only about £1700 or so, but my insurance have made it almost impossible to use my local Bmw dealership. I have kept on with it and am neatly there but it is going to cost me a couple of hundred quid out of my pocket.

In fact had I accepted their first proposal then I would (could) have lost the remainder of my Bmw warranty, without evening knowing!

Basically I will be looking to change next year to something's that lets me use Bmw easily.. Allianz apparently is one??
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

It can be a lot worse than not using BMW. Plenty of car insurance policies now reserve the right to use second-hand parts. Obviously these issues only arise if you are claiming against your own insurance. There is no need to put up with cost-cutting if you are claiming against someone else.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #4
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

Agreed... but as I found out even in an obvious no fault situation without cctv or an independent witness you at best get 50-50.

People these days are not honest I'm afraid
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:10 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi chaps

I've had my car insurance with BMW from day one and not the car is six years old and my renewal quote is getting higher each year I'm wondering whether to leave them and find another insurer. I stayed with them as I was told that in the event of a body shop claim they will send the car to an approved BMW dealership.

What is the stance with other insurers from your knowledge and experience?

I having been paying a higher premium as I had a car hit me from behind and I had the work done at sytner as found the claim straight forward. Are other insurers going to send my pride and joy to their own garages?

Thanks in advance.

Sp
Well you have NOT been clever, I change or at least get extensive quotes EVERY year and my insurance (now with LV) has been static for 5 years @ £330 fully comp extra cover on most things.
You must look around each year, as for BMW using approved bmw workshops........so do LV which did my M6 GC CP at listers BMW.
      03-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I use Churchill and have previously used LV as well.

I tend to run comparisons, find a Defacto 5* rated insurer with a decent quote and then call them to see if they cover BMW repairs. Churchill also do multicar discounts so if you have more than one car it's even cheaper. Just renewed my policy and got an extra £80 off because I switched my wife's insurance to them last time around...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Long gone are the days where loyalty meant "we'll treat you extra special and offer you things we don't offer to newcomers". That was in the yesteryear of finacial servies (and every other type of service).
Nowadays, "loyal" = "sucker to be ripped off".

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:26 AM   #8
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

I think you've been paying over the odds with the promise of using a bmw repair shop. I've never had an issue getting repairs done at a specified repair shop but then with any insurance you only find out how good it is when you make a claim. My local sytner even had offers to pay your excess if you sent them your car for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:54 AM   #9
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by changed View Post
I'm currently going through a claim for an accident that happened before xmas, it's only about £1700 or so, but my insurance have made it almost impossible to use my local Bmw dealership. I have kept on with it and am neatly there but it is going to cost me a couple of hundred quid out of my pocket.

In fact had I accepted their first proposal then I would (could) have lost the remainder of my Bmw warranty, without evening knowing!

Basically I will be looking to change next year to something's that lets me use Bmw easily.. Allianz apparently is one??
Hi changed

Thanks for your response!
I am sorry to hear you are going through this with your current insurer. Do you mind me asking who the insurer is? For reference purposes we will know to avoid them.

Thanks
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@JOHNBMWM5
The Beast
shiner
un1eash

Thanks for all your replies chaps

It is apparent I have been paying more than necessary with the "promise" of being able to use a BMW approved dealership.

I think there are companies that make it impossible to use the approved dealerships and the LV and Churchill will allow you to use your preferred dealership.

I think I will definitely be on the phone to them both.

I am 34 years old with eight years no claims and the renewal for my 520d m Sport cam out as £640. I am gobsmacked. It was £530 when I got the car four years ago. Only had a claim through third party - non fault.

No points

So will be definitely shopping around.

Thanks all for your help and contribution.

Sp
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:10 AM   #11
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
It can be a lot worse than not using BMW. Plenty of car insurance policies now reserve the right to use second-hand parts. Obviously these issues only arise if you are claiming against your own insurance. There is no need to put up with cost-cutting if you are claiming against someone else.
Hi

This us definitely got me worried now with the thought of reconditioned parts being used.
What is the world coming to?

We pay our money in good faith and we are being not supplied with a honest service.

Do you mind me asking who this insurer is using these types of parts?

We can avoid them like the plague.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #12
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Lots of them. You need to read the policy document before you sign up. To be fair the parts being replaced are second-hand so it's not as outrageous as it first seems. Whilst I would prefer new parts, second-hand OEM parts will not invalidate your warranty. Non OEM parts might and plenty of insurance companies reserve the right to use those.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #13
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

The one I'm with is called marker study, not impressed at all with them... only changed to them as my broker get a better price last year ...

About £500 a year I think.. similar age group and NCB

However it cost me £50 in admin charges when I changed my car as well!! £25 for the car, same again for the plate change
Appreciate 0