2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum another 704 msport vs DHP post

03-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
valsorim
Rep
Drives: 330i

another 704 msport vs DHP post

Finally decided to get an 2015 550i (no xi) and am in the phase of determining what suspension setup to get.

I have read numerous forums on the topic but I figured why not start another one

The reason for selecting the rwd 550i was a testdrive few months ago of a rwd standard suspension 550i. I loved the engine and the ride but hated the corner dives and insecure highway lane changes. It felt lighter and the steering felt better than the 550xi i also testdrove.

I loved my old rwd e90 with sport package but feel that I would like something with a softer ride that still handles and steers like a BMW. I was originally set on the 704 msport suspension but have read many posts praising the dhp for its versatility.

Your thoughts.

704 msport vs DHP.

I am especially interested in the steering feel as i found relatively few opinions on that topic.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:06 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsorim View Post
I loved my old rwd e90 with sport package but feel that I would like something with a softer ride that still handles and steers like a BMW. I was originally set on the 704 msport suspension but have read many posts praising the dhp for its versatility.

Your thoughts.

704 msport vs DHP.

I am especially interested in the steering feel as i found relatively few opinions on that topic.
I think you have already identified why many prefer DHP, I'm in that camp.

Steering agility is rated to be improved with DHP. Steering feel, that is more difficult to quantify. Tires have a part in that discussion.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

DHP is very impressive engineering solution, in my opinion it truly transforms the car between different modes, and is much more than just a suspension "stiffening", you'll feel different throttle response, steering feel change... etc....

If you are after versatility (I rarely use comfort myself), for sure that's an option to take. If all you want is to have sporty/firmer feel all the time, it might not be worth looking for one.

Another thing to consider, if you are planning to keep the car for a long time, I assume DHP would be more expensive to maintain and repair due to complexity of the system and price of parts. I haven't done detailed investigation on this, just assuming it would be more.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsorim View Post

Because there is no steering feel lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
704 is the best imo
I could not be happier with my setup.

DHP is good if you are very sensitive to road bumps.
I live and drive in NYC and the 704 is compliant enough for me.

The F10 chassis is solid - no squeaks or rattles- even though the 704 is the harshest susp.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I think the main reason people like DHP is the dynamic part and how easy it is. You can have your fun when you're by yourself and still keep your wife happy when she's in the car. You can carve out the mountain roads and still have a quiet comfortable highway cruiser on long trips. You can keep your keep your back comfortable on most days and still be competitive at the track on the weekends. Although I don't think my 550xi will ever be on a full race course, maybe just a drag strip for giggles one day.

DHP is like the win-win compromise in negotiations.

I drive in NYC often and I really can't see how I could ever live with the 704 suspension. In my 20s, it wouldn't have been a problem but not today.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

The F10 will not steer or handle like the E90 with either factory suspension. The F10 by design is a big heavy luxury cruiser built on the 7 series platform.
If you want something more agile, I'd look at the Audi S6.
If you're set on the 550, I would go with DHP. The 704 is a decent luxury/sport suspension (albeit overhyped and a bit floaty) but won't give you the cornering capability you're looking for since it's just slightly stiffer than the standard suspension and doesn't have ARS like DHP has.

Last edited by SonicEndeavor; 03-07-2015 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

My last BMW before my 550xi was an e90 335i with sport suspension.

I can honestly say I don't miss it one bit. While it was a decent car (still not as nice as my e46, but that's another story), the sport suspension was just too much in many circumstances.

Had I gotten the 550i rather than 550xi, I still would have opted for DHP. It's just THAT good. The Sport/Sport+ setting will give you PLENTY of stiffness for some fun. I've driven the car pretty hard through windy back-roads in this mode, and it holds its own... especially with the xDrive.

It may be that I'm in my mid-30's now and not 20's anymore, but I'm over the RWD + hard suspension setup for my DD. The 5-series isn't a 3-series. It's designed to provide some amount of luxury and comfort that you won't get in a 3-series. And while I still like a sporting ride, I prefer to be able to turn it on and off via DHP. And it works like a charm.

If I'm heading into a city with crappy roads (like NYC) or cobblestone (like many areas of Boston), I'll flip it to Comfort+ and things get much nicer. A nice smooth, winding parkway or well maintained country road? Sport. It's just much more versatile.

The DHP is also more than the dynamic dampers. It includes Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) that actively counters cornering forces to keep the car flat in a corner. For a big sedan like the 5, this is actually a nice feature. You can drive in a more comfortable mode (damper-wise) while still getting the body control in corners you'd expect from a firmer setting.

My R8 also has its DHP equivalent - called Magnetic Ride. Granted, the R8 only has two settings - "normal" and "sport" or put another way, "hard" and "giggle your eyeballs loose hard." But one mode works well on the street and the other for the track. So much more versatile than just putting a passive suspension on the car that tends to be a compromise in order to serve multiple situations.

Long story short, it's an expensive option, but it's well worth it. It's one of my favorite options in the 5... and you'll be so glad you have it when you need it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

I've had both and much prefer the 704 M-suspension. It's very close the my E90 550i sport since I changed to 20" wheels and Michelin Super Sports, even with the extra weight of the F10. Even in the sport+ setting on my '11 550i with DHP, it was extremely sloppy in corners even with the ARS.

I like a sports suspension that is compliant and not too stiff, and never really wanted to use the comfort and normal settings because of their horrible Buick like rebounds. It made it feel much bigger and heavier which I did not want.

I sling my car into corners, and my 2014 550i 704 M-suspension feels more like my E90 than my '11 550i sport which is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks BMW for bringing back the true m-suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
DHP gives you 3 cars for the price of 1, whether you want the car to be a comfortable cruiser, sporty handler, or a good balance between the two. The M Sport suspension is great, but for me personally, I couldn't live with a 5 series that *only* had a sporty ride with no ability to change it up to feel more comfortable while driving.

It is literally the best $3500 you can spend on the car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #11
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
DHP gives you 3 cars for the price of 1, whether you want the car to be a comfortable cruiser, sporty handler, or a good balance between the two. The M Sport suspension is great, but for me personally, I couldn't live with a 5 series that *only* had a sporty ride with no ability to change it up to feel more comfortable while driving.

It is literally the best $3500 you can spend on the car IMO.
704 m susp is perfect for people that want sharp handling at all times.
DHP is just more complex tech...

704 is what BMW used to be great at doing.
Great passive suspensions that give you amazing handling and steering feel and a tolerable ride 95% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
704 m susp is perfect for people that want sharp handling at all times.
DHP is just more complex tech...

704 is what BMW used to be great at doing.
Great passive suspensions that give you amazing handling and steering feel and a tolerable ride 95% of the time.
WELL SAID!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
weissja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

I had the DHP in my 2013 550. This time around I went with the 704 with IAS and 20" M wheels. Couldn't be happier. Car feels much more nimble, light on it feet, and agile.
Appreciate 0