2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Options to add to Eisenmann Race exhaust...would like more sound!

12-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 650i MSport CP

Options to add to Eisenmann Race exhaust...would like more sound!

Fellas,

Thought I would try and see if I can get more feedback from the 5 series guys, because the 6 series guys are all sleeping

I have the Eisenmann Race mufflers currently on my F13 650i coupe, but surprisingly...its pretty tame compared to what I thought it would sound like. I want it to be louder on the outside.

Am I able to get some additional exterior sound on the exterior from it?

Would an Xpipe or a mid pipe/center pipe give me what I am looking for? I love the way the Meistershaft sounds on the outside with the flaps open.

Right now I have almost zero drone in the interior cabin with the Eisenmann (which is GREAT), and I would like to keep it that way. Would adding a center pipe increase drone? What are my options?

I am not looking to add DP's as I don't want to have to add a tune to the car (I would need a tune in addition is what I heard someone say if I added DP's). I also don't want to void the factory warranty.

Thanks...would appreciate any tips!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

I also came across these options from Supersprint. Any opinions on this paired with the Eisenmann Race mufflers that I have?

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw...ipe-v9.aspx#!/

AND

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bmw...ipe-v4.aspx#!/

Any difference between these 2?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

the first one has the resonator, the second one is straight pipe.

straight X pipe will be louder.

resonator will eliminate some noise/drone.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Eliminating the resonator should give u some rumble but I can't say it won't drone? I think your dilemma would be anything else you do to the exhaust as is you probably will get some drone if not a lot especially if you go straight pipe
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
the first one has the resonator, the second one is straight pipe.

straight X pipe will be louder.

resonator will eliminate some noise/drone.
Gotcha...I'm curious how much more drone I would get with the straight X-pipe without the resonator.

I guess my dilemma is that if I get an X-pipe with the resonator and its not much of a sound difference over just having the Eisenmann Race mufflers alone, I would be upset.

And if I got an X-pipe with no resonators and if it had a lot of drone I'd me miserable too.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Eliminating the resonator should give u some rumble but I can't say it won't drone? I think your dilemma would be anything else you do to the exhaust as is you probably will get some drone if not a lot especially if you go straight pipe
I guess I am just trying to get a better idea as to how much more drone there would be with these 2 options. If its a LITTLE bit more drone with a non-resonated X-pipe then I think I would be OK with it. But if its ALOT of drone then I probably would't want it.

Its probably trial and error finding the perfect setup, but I am trying to just get it right the 1st time.

I am just afraid that if I got the X-pipe with a resonator that it will not offer me much of an improvement in exhaust note overall but I definitely could be wrong

Are there any other options for X-pipes besides these 2 options from Supersprint??
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

It seems most guys will experiment until they find the right setup in regards to tone, raspiness, drone, ect...what might sound bada$$ to u might sound like $hit to someone else. So it's all preference. One guy drove me around in his M4 and it droned like crazy but to him he thought that's normal...I'm not sure he knew what drone is your best bet would be do just do some more research here. There's a guy here FenixMike... shoot him a PM as he's experimented a lot with different exhaust systems.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
It seems most guys will experiment until they find the right setup in regards to tone, raspiness, drone, ect...what might sound bada$$ to u might sound like $hit to someone else. So it's all preference. One guy drove me around in his M4 and it droned like crazy but to him he thought that's normal...I'm not sure he knew what drone is your best bet would be do just do some more research here. There's a guy here FenixMike... shoot him a PM as he's experimented a lot with different exhaust systems.
Totally agree...everyone has different tastes/tolerance levels so an exhaust that sounds great to one person, may sound like $hit to someone else.

Thanks bud...will shoot him a PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #9
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack G. View Post
Fellas,

Thought I would try and see if I can get more feedback from the 5 series guys, because the 6 series guys are all sleeping

I have the Eisenmann Race mufflers currently on my F13 650i coupe, but surprisingly...its pretty tame compared to what I thought it would sound like. I want it to be louder on the outside.

Am I able to get some additional exterior sound on the exterior from it?
Sound comes from the mufflers unfortunately... I took the time to remove all my resonators and install an xpipe and it really didnt make a difference. The main purpose of resonators is to reduce resonance, they really dont contribute a whole lot to actual sound. Would it make a minimal difference? Sure, might give you a hair more if thats what youre looking for, but it may also increase interior drone with that. Really need to either think about selling the exhaust and going louder, or possibly doing a set of downpipes to increase sound that way. Even catted downpipes will increase volume, but if it gets too loud you can also replace the factory resonators with magnaflow magnapacks, or a magnaflow cross flow muffler which is my personal favorite.

Quote:
Would an Xpipe or a mid pipe/center pipe give me what I am looking for? I love the way the Meistershaft sounds on the outside with the flaps open.
Unfortunately Xpipes really dont change overall volume much, and in many cases reduce resonance and sound as it balances out the chambers properly and introduces exhaust scavenging. Any dual exhaust system I build gets an Xpipe for its function, but in my opinion also makes for a better sound. Have you considered just locking the valves open, or getting one of the kits where you can open the exhaust when you want to ?

Quote:
Right now I have almost zero drone in the interior cabin with the Eisenmann (which is GREAT), and I would like to keep it that way. Would adding a center pipe increase drone? What are my options?
Im not sure what a "center pipe" is exactly, unless youre referring to a mid section and removing the resonators... Unfortunately starting quiet and going louder tends to be the more expensive route as you will start to notice every little issue when your exhaust gets louder, as well as having it never "loud enough". I prefer to start loud and add mufflers/resonators to achieve desired volume and resonance. With that in mind, you already stated it sounds fine with the valves open, best bet is just lock the valves open.

Quote:
I am not looking to add DP's as I don't want to have to add a tune to the car (I would need a tune in addition is what I heard someone say if I added DP's). I also don't want to void the factory warranty.
Catted downpipes will still increase volume while not requiring a tune, and as far as your warranty goes, they will be looking for reasons to void it just as much with your new exhaust as they will with downpipes... There is nothing in the BMW warranty stating Exhaust modifications are acceptable, so just keep that in mind.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Sound comes from the mufflers unfortunately... I took the time to remove all my resonators and install an xpipe and it really didnt make a difference. The main purpose of resonators is to reduce resonance, they really dont contribute a whole lot to actual sound. Would it make a minimal difference? Sure, might give you a hair more if thats what youre looking for, but it may also increase interior drone with that. Really need to either think about selling the exhaust and going louder, or possibly doing a set of downpipes to increase sound that way. Even catted downpipes will increase volume, but if it gets too loud you can also replace the factory resonators with magnaflow magnapacks, or a magnaflow cross flow muffler which is my personal favorite.

Unfortunately Xpipes really dont change overall volume much, and in many cases reduce resonance and sound as it balances out the chambers properly and introduces exhaust scavenging. Any dual exhaust system I build gets an Xpipe for its function, but in my opinion also makes for a better sound. Have you considered just locking the valves open, or getting one of the kits where you can open the exhaust when you want to ?

Im not sure what a "center pipe" is exactly, unless youre referring to a mid section and removing the resonators... Unfortunately starting quiet and going louder tends to be the more expensive route as you will start to notice every little issue when your exhaust gets louder, as well as having it never "loud enough". I prefer to start loud and add mufflers/resonators to achieve desired volume and resonance. With that in mind, you already stated it sounds fine with the valves open, best bet is just lock the valves open.

Catted downpipes will still increase volume while not requiring a tune, and as far as your warranty goes, they will be looking for reasons to void it just as much with your new exhaust as they will with downpipes... There is nothing in the BMW warranty stating Exhaust modifications are acceptable, so just keep that in mind.
Thanks for all of the feedback. Maybe I will just be on the lookout for a Meisterschaft exhaust system and sell my Eisenmann's since most of the exhaust note comes from the mufflers themselves it seems like you are saying.

I've never heard the Meisterschaft system in person, but from what I have heard from the videos posted online (and compared to the Eisenmann race system that I have), the Meisterschaft would be a better fit for me as they are more aggressive sounding and you can actually hear the car coming down the street. With the Eisenmann Race system, it doesn't seem to be the case.

If adding the non-resonated Supersprint X-pipe won't really do much for me, then I rather not spend the $600 on it to be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all of the feedback. Maybe I will just be on the lookout for a Meisterschaft exhaust system and sell my Eisenmann's since most of the exhaust note comes from the mufflers themselves it seems like you are saying.

I've never heard the Meisterschaft system in person, but from what I have heard from the videos posted online (and compared to the Eisenmann race system that I have), the Meisterschaft would be a better fit for me as they are more aggressive sounding and you can actually hear the car coming down the street. With the Eisenmann Race system, it doesn't seem to be the case.

If adding the non-resonated Supersprint X-pipe won't really do much for me, then I rather not spend the $600 on it to be disappointed.
Honestly you can get a Magnaflow Xpipe, or similar china knock off (ignore the idiots that say a $600 piece of steel is better than a $30 one... it isnt, unless youre often driving in snow and rust bothers you, then spend $8 more for the stainless one) for $30 and have a local shop replace your rear resonator with it for likely $150 or so. If you have that much to spend and want to experiment, give it a shot and see what happens. I wanted to keep mine quiet so I pulled all the resonators with stock mufflers and it didnt make any difference, and after replacing the stock mufflers with Borla XR1s, I got my perfect tone. You could always try that route and sell your exhaust, reinstall the stock and have a shop replace the mufflers, then add tips of your choice to achieve the "perfect" sound. I promise you the fancy high dollar systems wont make any more power than bolting two Magnaflow, Borla or Dynomax mufflers on there, and going from 2.5 to 3 inch isnt a difference unless youre making over 500 wheel horsepower such as an M5... and even then its minimal.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly you can get a Magnaflow Xpipe, or similar china knock off (ignore the idiots that say a $600 piece of steel is better than a $30 one... it isnt, unless youre often driving in snow and rust bothers you, then spend $8 more for the stainless one) for $30 and have a local shop replace your rear resonator with it for likely $150 or so. If you have that much to spend and want to experiment, give it a shot and see what happens. I wanted to keep mine quiet so I pulled all the resonators with stock mufflers and it didnt make any difference, and after replacing the stock mufflers with Borla XR1s, I got my perfect tone. You could always try that route and sell your exhaust, reinstall the stock and have a shop replace the mufflers, then add tips of your choice to achieve the "perfect" sound. I promise you the fancy high dollar systems wont make any more power than bolting two Magnaflow, Borla or Dynomax mufflers on there, and going from 2.5 to 3 inch isnt a difference unless youre making over 500 wheel horsepower such as an M5... and even then its minimal.
I was originally going to get the Megan mufflers but was kinda talked out of it because it wasn't the best "fit" for a BMW, especially a 6 series. So I ended up with the Eisenmann race mufflers due to the extensive R&D they do to make sure it's the perfect fit, quality, etc. Plus they are manufactured in Germany etc.

I am not really concerned with power to be honest. This is not an M6, but its no slouch either. I am more concerned with the exhaust note and I thought it would be a better/more aggressive/louder mufflers than the factory M-sport.

At low RPM (2-3k), its defiinitely more aggressive sounding with a nice little growl especially when downshifting and when the exhaust is all warmed up I get the little *burp burp* rumble downshifting, however other than that its basically sounds like the factory mufflers did.

Ever since BMW TT's these cars, the exhaust note on the mufflers started getting really quiet. Naturally aspirated BMW's with ANY aftermarket setup sounded WAY better before BMW decided to TT the engines.

It seems like the Meisterschaft or MEC Design are the only systems out there for this car that offers the exhaust note thats really aggressive and can make the car be heard coming down the street. Curious how much interior drone is present with these 2 exhaust's.

Here are the videos of the MEC Design (LOVE the tips also btw):

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was originally going to get the Megan mufflers but was kinda talked out of it because it wasn't the best "fit" for a BMW, especially a 6 series. So I ended up with the Eisenmann race mufflers due to the extensive R&D they do to make sure it's the perfect fit, quality, etc. Plus they are manufactured in Germany etc.

I am not really concerned with power to be honest. This is not an M6, but its no slouch either. I am more concerned with the exhaust note and I thought it would be a better/more aggressive/louder mufflers than the factory M-sport.

At low RPM (2-3k), its defiinitely more aggressive sounding with a nice little growl especially when downshifting and when the exhaust is all warmed up I get the little *burp burp* rumble downshifting, however other than that its basically sounds like the factory mufflers did.

Ever since BMW TT's these cars, the exhaust note on the mufflers started getting really quiet. Naturally aspirated BMW's with ANY aftermarket setup sounded WAY better before BMW decided to TT the engines.

It seems like the Meisterschaft or MEC Design are the only systems out there for this car that offers the exhaust note thats really aggressive and can make the car be heard coming down the street. Curious how much interior drone is present with these 2 exhaust's.

Here are the videos of the MEC Design (LOVE the tips also btw):

Unfortunately turbos act like a muffler, which is why most turbo cars are quiet and can get away with a semi non existent exhaust while still being quiet. My same setup on an older 550i with the N/A motor would likely wake the dead and sound like my old corvette did. Heres mine with the XR1s.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately turbos act like a muffler, which is why most turbo cars are quiet and can get away with a semi non existent exhaust while still being quiet. My same setup on an older 550i with the N/A motor would likely wake the dead and sound like my old corvette did. Heres mine with the XR1s.

My Eisenmann's sounds pretty similar to that. I think I will just be on the lookout for the Meisterschaft's or MEC Design (I'm not going to bother with getting a non-resonated X-pipe since it probably won't get me to the exhaust note that I want)....I like the aggressive deep note.

The Meisterschaft & MEC Design remind me of the AMG exhausts.
Appreciate 0