2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications M5 exhaust on 550i = !!!

09-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

M5 exhaust on 550i = !!!

So I had a full M5 system mounted on my 550 (finally) this last week and wow I'm in love with my car all over again. I can't believe BMW made this thing with a stock Buick exhaust when all this glorious noise was under the bonnet. At least given some options to those of us with the M-Sport package!

I will upload a cold start video soon but for anyone thinking about this mod, I'm so glad I went this way instead of one of the more expensive pieces for what EYE personally was after. Of course I wanted an Akrapovic like everyone else but if I could afford a $9k exhaust I'd just get an M5!

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure where they cut to hook up to the stock downpipes but it fit no problem with the 4 pieces needed from mbferrari thread about this even though his is an xi. The mufflers fit no problem with my stock M-Sport spoiler and they stick out a little, but I like it. Some want a flush look but this catches the eye more IMO.

Also added the 'thick' tricolor grilles from iND, H&R Sports and 12/15mm Turner spacers. It's perfect. It certainly firms up the ride and steering even in Comfort+ and makes it feel less floaty. I'm hard pressed to not always drive in Sport+ now with these changes.

If you're considering a less extreme exhaust then this is the way to go.

I will say, I definitely can feel a little more lag on the throttle with the M5's 3" piping from the stock 2.75. A future tune will fix that but I've heard others experience this and it's true. Car is still plenty fast, but most of us 550 owners notice EVERYthing different about this car and this is there. I just keep it higher in the revs when driving aggressively and it's much less noticeable.
      09-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro
So I had a full M5 system mounted on my 550 (finally) this last week and wow I'm in love with my car all over again. I can't believe BMW made this thing with a stock Buick exhaust when all this glorious noise was under the bonnet. At least given some options to those of us with the M-Sport package!

I will upload a cold start video soon but for anyone thinking about this mod, I'm so glad I went this way instead of one of the more expensive pieces for what EYE personally was after. Of course I wanted an Akrapovic like everyone else but if I could afford a $9k exhaust I'd just get an M5!

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure where they cut to hook up to the stock downpipes but it fit no problem with the 4 pieces needed from mbferrari thread about this even though his is an xi. The mufflers fit no problem with my stock M-Sport spoiler and they stick out a little, but I like it. Some want a flush look but this catches the eye more IMO.

Also added the 'thick' tricolor grilles from iND, H&R Sports and 12/15mm Turner spacers. It's perfect. It certainly firms up the ride and steering even in Comfort+ and makes it feel less floaty. I'm hard pressed to not always drive in Sport+ now with these changes.

If you're considering a less extreme exhaust then this is the way to go.

I will say, I definitely can feel a little more lag on the throttle with the M5's 3" piping from the stock 2.75. A future tune will fix that but I've heard others experience this and it's true. Car is still plenty fast, but most of us 550 owners notice EVERYthing different about this car and this is there. I just keep it higher in the revs when driving aggressively and it's much less noticeable.
Do you mean a little throttle lag in the Lower rpms ? Around 1500 rpm? And ya upload some pics of your car and vids of your exhaust if you don't mind .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
VinoFiveFiddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550ix

Will be adding an M5 exhaust to my car in the next few weeks too. I'm pretty excited about it. Having a BMS Stage 1 tune, I'm hoping it'll free up some ponies too.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post
Do you mean a little throttle lag in the Lower rpms ? Around 1500 rpm? And ya upload some pics of your car and vids of your exhaust if you don't mind .
Yes. It's all under 2k, probably closer to 1500. Everything else is fine, whether in Comfort or the Sport settings.
      09-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro
Quote:
Yes. It's all under 2k, probably closer to 1500. Everything else is fine, whether in Comfort or the Sport settings.
Ya I've been having this problem for a while.. Not sure if I had it before I had exhaust work done .. But if I did.. It's more noticeable now. But I don't feel it in sport mode because it doesn't drop below 2k rpms .

Hopefully this bms stage 1 fixes it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya I've been having this problem for a while.. Not sure if I had it before I had exhaust work done .. But if I did.. It's more noticeable now. But I don't feel it in sport mode because it doesn't drop below 2k rpms .

Hopefully this bms stage 1 fixes it
You didn't. I notice it too and it's a real thing. I was kind of worried about it before the install but really over time I'll just get used to it with more driving. Like you said, I'm sure the BMS will handle it, as most people install that to get rid of our stock turbo lag anyway.
Let me know how it improves after the install as that's my next purchase.