2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Door open error/Comfort access also not working on that same door

11-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
ALPWhite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 535iX MSport

Door open error/Comfort access also not working on that same door

So I was just running some errands and a chime popped up showing Door Open, pointing to the rear passenger door, I do not have soft close doors. First tried turning the engine off then back on, no go.

I confirmed the door is closed and there are no obstructions, the door lock still works fine on that same door if I use the door open/close button on the center console or remote. As I was trying to look for a door sensor thinking maybe it's stuck... I realized comfort access also does not work on that same door.

As I am still under warranty I drove it straight to BMW to explain the situation as with the car on or off, the interior lights stay on. I wasn't going to wait to bring it it as it would most likely drain my battery.

Anyone else experience this ? Only had the car for a few months and it's already been in the shop for condensor replacement, Drivetrain malfunction error and now this.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I have never had this problem, but this might help until you get it fixed.

I finally found out after 12 years of the same type of overhead light switch in my BMWs that they will stay off until you turn them back again if you hold the stitch for a few seconds after they go out. Previously, I used to turn them off when washing my cars but then they'd go right back on again when you opened or closed another door.

good luck, I am sure they will fix it easily
      11-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPWhite View Post
So I was just running some errands and a chime popped up showing Door Open, pointing to the rear passenger door, I do not have soft close doors. First tried turning the engine off then back on, no go.

I confirmed the door is closed and there are no obstructions, the door lock still works fine on that same door if I use the door open/close button on the center console or remote. As I was trying to look for a door sensor thinking maybe it's stuck... I realized comfort access also does not work on that same door.

As I am still under warranty I drove it straight to BMW to explain the situation as with the car on or off, the interior lights stay on. I wasn't going to wait to bring it it as it would most likely drain my battery.

Anyone else experience this ? Only had the car for a few months and it's already been in the shop for condensor replacement, Drivetrain malfunction error and now this.
Didn't get a door ajar warning though I found out my right, rear door wasn't locking electrically (remote, interior switch or CA). It worked just fine manually. Took it in and they replaced the door actuator. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:

There is a bulletin that applies to this same concern (SIB 62 03 15). The dealer will check your production of door lock actuators, if they are below a certain range then a repair kit with a capacitor will be added to the door panel wiring harness. Bring into dealer though so your battery does not suffer.
      11-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
ALPWhite
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybimmerbrain View Post
There is a bulletin that applies to this same concern (SIB 62 03 15). The dealer will check your production of door lock actuators, if they are below a certain range then a repair kit with a capacitor will be added to the door panel wiring harness. Bring into dealer though so your battery does not suffer.
Interesting, I did get the car back but SA said they weren't able to reproduce the issue. Claimed when it got into the shop there was no error, codes pulled and nothing showed up their either.

I don't have the paperwork where it says what was replaced but he did state, to be on the safe side, they replaced the door lock actuator and a wiring harness.

I'll check the paperwork tomorrow to confirm. Thanks for pointing out that bulletin!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Mybimmerbrain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybimmerbrain View Post
Interesting, I did get the car back but SA said they weren't able to reproduce the issue. Claimed when it got into the shop there was no error, codes pulled and nothing showed up their either.

I don't have the paperwork where it says what was replaced but he did state, to be on the safe side, they replaced the door lock actuator and a wiring harness.

I'll check the paperwork tomorrow to confirm. Thanks for pointing out that bulletin!
In my experience even the dealer misses lots of things. After training 8 or so BMW techs they miss the basics time to time. No worries and anytime.
      01-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
ALPWhite
First Lieutenant
Rep

.. and back with the same exact issue as I had on my original post but it's now the rear driver door. Since BMW is not open at this hour I manually turned off the dome light by holding the button down but puddle lights stay on... had to manually remove all 4 of them from under each door so the battery doesn't die out in the 5 degree weather until I can get to the dealer. This time I will make sure to reference the Service bulletin (SIB 62 03 15).

Getting more and more annoyed with the multiple problems I keep having with this car.....
Appreciate 0