2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum NEW UPDATE!!... If your F10 has hesitation or jerks at 0-10 mph

01-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #23
ding
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChaffins View Post
Thanks for the reply. It is not the downshift that concerns me. It is the jerk I get when accelerating that is annoying. It is like the transmission doesn't know what to do when going from slowing down to then speeding back up. It is most noticeable in stop and go traffic.
Yup. my chevy truck is smoother than my 535. this is not normal. the "jerk" gave me headache... no questions about it. mine is week 47 build. definitely has issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #24
hbakor
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i X Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I thought it would be more pronounced in the turbo engines .. my 528 (june) is smooth as silk.. in butter
i think u have to get used to it somewhat .. my brake squeal problem went away also .. u have to be 'one' with the car

driving my car today in cold weather, it was perfect, the cabin was serene, all the right noises, all the right movements and feel, i felt like I was living in a bmw commercial.. only better. i turned off the music to listen to the car ..
aaahhh.. i love this car

I have a 528 with the same problem
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
conorocean
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I got 528i on Christmas (U.S), had same problem, I refined my foot skills and I handle it much better now. I guess everyone has the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #26
ding
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorocean View Post
I got 528i on Christmas (U.S), had same problem, I refined my foot skills and I handle it much better now. I guess everyone has the same problem.
yes, we have issues with our new 2011 5s.
what are you guys planning to do beside calling the dealership? just curious
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #27
blackhawk_pilot2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011, BMW 535i

This happens with my 535i week 49 built. The pulling to the right takes over all else. And actually I kinda trained my foot on the gas pedal to live with this. I was also told that the "jerk" is just the way this car is designed. The more attention you pay to the car and the more you look for reasons to justify your investment.... The more faults you will find and the less you'll actually get to enjoy it. Once my pulling to the right is fixed I'll be happy with this investment and I'll stop my self from asking for perfection out of 70k dollar car. My guess is that now a days you need to invest on a 150k+ car if you expect perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #28
DChaffins
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

I would live with it if I thought all 5's had the problem. However, I know they don't. All I want is for my car to perform as everyone elses. Is that too much to expect? Why would anyone just live with an obvious problem? Especially after spending this much for a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
ding
Rep

Quote:
I would live with it if I thought all 5's had the problem. However, I know they don't. All I want is for my car to perform as everyone elses. Is that too much to expect? Why would anyone just live with an obvious problem? Especially after spending this much for a car.
I would NOT live with it... I didn't pay 70+K for this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #30
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Quote:
I agree...

But now that it's obviously a mass manufacturing problem, I'm more optimistic that BMW is investigating it as we speak, and looking for a perminant solution... and will probably issue a recall to fix it...

hopefully sooner than later.

When guy at work just got a 523i a few weeks ago, and has the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #31
Nirvana
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 523i

Hi,

I have the same problem. Instead of waiting for BMW, I feel we should be pro-active and gather a huge list of owners with such problems, and with all the (negative) publicity and attention, demand for this to be corrected and/or recalled.

I don't think that is beyond reality given the large numbers of people with this problem worldwide, especially since this could be a safety issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
mikestrete
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

possible cause of the problem

Dear fellow F10 owners

I already put up a similar posting in the previous thread on the topic, but will repeat my experience here.

My 530d displayed a similar problem (low speed bucking and hesitation, to the point of almost stalling), especially when re-accelerating. The cause of the problem was a faulty EGR valve. My dealer technician disconnected the EGR control electronics and the problem instantly disappeared. A replacement EGR valve assembly was then ordered and installed and I have never experienced the problem again.

While the problems described in this thread do not sound as severe, it MAY be possible that your EGR valves are not as far gone as mine was. If you google "EGR" faults, you will see that the valve's function is to re-circulate exhaust gases back into the cylinders. If the valve lets too much back in to the cylinders, the engine will literally suffocate. This was an intermittent problem for me and might explain the complaints in this thread about low-speed hesitation and then over-compensation with a "jerk".

Mikestrete
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #33
DChaffins
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
I agree...

But now that it's obviously a mass manufacturing problem, I'm more optimistic that BMW is investigating it as we speak, and looking for a perminant solution... and will probably issue a recall to fix it...

hopefully sooner than later.

When guy at work just got a 523i a few weeks ago, and has the same problem.
Duneman, I wish I agreed with you. Only a handful of dealerships have admitted there is a problem. For the rest of us, the standard response is that the car is operating as designed. At least with the steering issue BMW does acknowledge the problem. Beyond calling and complaining to BMW (which I have done), I don't know what else to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #34
snakeman56
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535XI 2011 GS Corvette

I took mine in for a service call with the same issue. The SA said the car is operating within normal specs. There was an 2011 X5 with the same issue. They also said that it's due to the turbo gases when in low rpms. Also when doing uturns they said that the hesitation is due to a traction on the wheels on the outside when doing the U Turn. They did noticed the hesitation when tested. The computer software update is according to the SA is for the Twin Turbos.

I told him that I was not happy and he said that he said that BMW is aware and hopefully they will come out with a fix soon.

I told him I will continue to bring the car back for service, since I am not happy with this hesitation problem. I have already sent a email to BMW and waiting for a response.
2011 535i X Drive Deep Sea Blue/ Oyster w/Black interior/Cold Weather Package/Sport Package/Sport Transmission/ Premium 1 &2 / Split Rear Down Seats
Appreciate 0