2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum memory seat question

05-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
kel3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 528i

memory seat question

right now when I press button and hold it; the seats mirror and steering wheel move to position. Is there a way to have this work by just pressing the button once and everything moves into position automatically? thx in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel3 View Post
right now when I press button and hold it; the seats mirror and steering wheel move to position. Is there a way to have this work by just pressing the button once and everything moves into position automatically? thx in advance!
I guess this is a safety feature ..... Imagine if the 2 memory settings were opposite ends of the seat rails .... and you touch the wrong button by accident .... you could end up pushed against the steering wheel or 2 feet from the pedals while driving
      05-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I *think* it is one-touch if the car isn't moving.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
cagatacos
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: f11 520 d sport auto

Not in the same topic but:
I have confort seats and memory. Question is:
When i turn off the ignition and park the steering wheel goes up and then when turn it on it goes down to the previus position. It shoud goes up and forward (away from the diver?). In some other cars the wheel goes up and forward. In this model it just goes up. it doesn´t make sense. It should move more and retract to have more space to get off the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
I think you are correct, although, mine has been occasionally buggy on this. I want to say the car cant even be running, normally my seat adjust to the key in hand, my key has different seat settings then my wifes key.
      05-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

I don't think it is so buggy. Rather, I think it's the implementation that makes you feel that way.

The problem, as I see it, is that the profile is loosely coupled to the seat memory. For example, there is no direct association between a seat memory button and a profile.

Instead, you can call up your seat memory at will. But, your profile does not recall a specific seat memory setting. The profile just remembers how your seats were set at the time you lock the door.

So, all it takes to screw this up is an intervening driver that changes the seat position manually whilst under your profile.

Over time, the seat settings will drift out of the stored settings since the seats are adjusted ad hoc during routine trips.

So, in the end it gives the perception of being buggy, but it really is its intended design.

I think it would be helpful if you could directly associate a stored seat memory with a profile. This would explicitly reset the seat every time you unlock. Instead, there seems to be this implicit association between the profile and the most recent configuration of the seats.

Maybe this is handled better with newer software versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
I think you are correct, although, mine has been occasionally buggy on this. I want to say the car cant even be running, normally my seat adjust to the key in hand, my key has different seat settings then my wifes key.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
caesarp
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive space gray/saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
I don't think it is so buggy. Rather, I think it's the implementation that makes you feel that way.

The problem, as I see it, is that the profile is loosely coupled to the seat memory. For example, there is no direct association between a seat memory button and a profile.

Instead, you can call up your seat memory at will. But, your profile does not recall a specific seat memory setting. The profile just remembers how your seats were set at the time you lock the door.

So, all it takes to screw this up is an intervening driver that changes the seat position manually whilst under your profile.

Over time, the seat settings will drift out of the stored settings since the seats are adjusted ad hoc during routine trips.

So, in the end it gives the perception of being buggy, but it really is its intended design.

I think it would be helpful if you could directly associate a stored seat memory with a profile. This would explicitly reset the seat every time you unlock. Instead, there seems to be this implicit association between the profile and the most recent configuration of the seats.

Maybe this is handled better with newer software versions.
That's why everytime I make a little adjustment in the seat or mirror, I press the memory key and then memory 1. That way, whatever changes I make are always associated with memory 1 key. If anyone gets in the car with my key (valet, BMW service technician, car wash attendant, etc.), and moves the seat, I simply push memory 1 button when I get the car back and I'm back to where I always was. Voila!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
BimmerUKF10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel3 View Post
If you give the memory button a single press with the door open it will complete all movements without having to hold the button down.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Cool +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
If you give the memory button a single press with the door open it will complete all movements without having to hold the button down.
+1^
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0