2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Irritants

01-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
F10 Irritants

I really love my F10, but these two things really bother me and I cannot replicate them to the dealer:

Moon roof squeaks all the time when driving on twisties or bumps. Someone here has suggested loosening some of the screws up there but I am not sure I want to compromise the seals myself

During some cold days, when I first get going in my car, I get this strange, brief, conch-like sound. It sounds almost as if something is rubbing against something, rubber on rubber, but its likely not. Of course this can never be replicated...

On a rant note...the screen scratches easily and in certain lights I can see the scratches. The newer Bimmers have a hard screen, but the F10 really sucks. And I am always very careful when wiping the screen. Anyone use the LCD screen wipes that you can buy at Staples?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Same as you, I absolutely love the car, though here is my list:

- inability to adjust the height of seat belt.
- basic steering wheel is too thin (and quite expensive to upgrade).
- having to "accept" that I'm responsible in iDrive on every start (yes, I know this can avoided by coding the car, not "there" just yet).
- run flat tires - no general agreement here, matter of taste.
- I cannot find that quite perfect wiper speed, though this might just be "user error", using sensor isn't always ideal .
- cup holder that comes with manual transmission really does not belong in car with this nice fit and finish.
- pass-through barrier between rear seats feels kinda flimsy.

All super minor, I'm really "reaching" here, but since you asked

BTW, my car is in the shop for noise similar to what you're describing. Was finally able to reliably reproduce it for the dealer after few visits that ended up with "we cannot repro... sorry". For me, the noise is only heard when car is in gear (nothing at all in neutral, or with clutch pressed). Also it's noticeably louder for the first 5-10 min. in the morning on cold days.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Cupholders! Cupholders! Cupholders! Did I say Cupholders?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Same as you, I absolutely love the car, though here is my list:

- inability to adjust the height of seat belt.
- basic steering wheel is too thin (and quite expensive to upgrade).
- having to "accept" that I'm responsible in iDrive on every start (yes, I know this can avoided by coding the car, not "there" just yet).
- run flat tires - no general agreement here, matter of taste.
- I cannot find that quite perfect wiper speed, though this might just be "user error", using sensor isn't always ideal .
- cup holder that comes with manual transmission really does not belong in car with this nice fit and finish.
- pass-through barrier between rear seats feels kinda flimsy.

All super minor, I'm really "reaching" here, but since you asked

BTW, my car is in the shop for noise similar to what you're describing. Was finally able to reliably reproduce it for the dealer after few visits that ended up with "we cannot repro... sorry". For me, the noise is only heard when car is in gear (nothing at all in neutral, or with clutch pressed). Also it's noticeably louder for the first 5-10 min. in the morning on cold days.
What did the dealer say was the cause of the noise, and what was the fix? That would be really useful!

Yes, the steering wheel is too thin and the auto wiper speed sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
SteelersF10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I really love my F10, but these two things really bother me and I cannot replicate them to the dealer:

Moon roof squeaks all the time when driving on twisties or bumps. Someone here has suggested loosening some of the screws up there but I am not sure I want to compromise the seals myself

During some cold days, when I first get going in my car, I get this strange, brief, conch-like sound. It sounds almost as if something is rubbing against something, rubber on rubber, but its likely not. Of course this can never be replicated...

On a rant note...the screen scratches easily and in certain lights I can see the scratches. The newer Bimmers have a hard screen, but the F10 really sucks. And I am always very careful when wiping the screen. Anyone use the LCD screen wipes that you can buy at Staples?
Hey...

I was in for an oil change about two weeks ago and for some reason, looking at my service receipt, my moon roof was inspected. And I don't have a problem with mine...... Hmmmm...
      01-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
What did the dealer say was the cause of the noise, and what was the fix? That would be really useful!
No update yet , "under investigation".
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
No update yet , "under investigation".
Manual transmission?
funny mechanical rubbing sound like something is rotating?
not present when clutch is pressed?

Probably the thrust bearing on the transmission input shaft.
When cold this is making some sound, when the bearing has warmed up its gone.
Quite typical to have this noise on older cars as this bearing wears over time.

does it sound anything like this?

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Manual transmission?
funny mechanical rubbing sound like something is rotating?
not present when clutch is pressed?
Yes, to all of the above. Thank you, I'll pass your suggestion to shop foreman as he seemed to be quite unsure what it could be after our test drive.

It's not quite the same noise, and in my case cannot be heard when car is stationary regardless of whether the clutch is engaged or not. I can only hear it when driving and car is in gear, once rolling and in neutral or clutch is pressed, no noise whatsoever.

I'll try to find some time to upload my own video, unless i hear from the dealership in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Did they ever fix the blue sky syndrome issue? That's where the automatic headlights would be on in broad daylight for no apparent reason? On MY12 the headlights would come on and wouldn't be indicated on the dash either.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

i have an annoyance. My last car was an audi and whenever I put it in reverse the reverse lights would be so bright that i could see everything in the reverse camera very clearly as tho there were headlights on the rear of the car. In comparison, when i put my f10 in reverse and look at the reverse camera I have a hard time seeing anything, i feel like the reverse lights are just not bright enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
i have an annoyance. My last car was an audi and whenever I put it in reverse the reverse lights would be so bright that i could see everything in the reverse camera very clearly as tho there were headlights on the rear of the car. In comparison, when i put my f10 in reverse and look at the reverse camera I have a hard time seeing anything, i feel like the reverse lights are just not bright enough.
Does your car happen to be white?
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

Smile

For starters, there's the annoying issue of the passenger seat belt buckle banging off the B pillar if it doesn't retract properly after being retracted.

More generally, I'm in my third F10 (with a F30 in the middle, that only lasted a year, so unrefined compared to its bigger brother, despite the better handling) is the issue of what's actually in the car you order. This I put down to the fact that software and connectivity is now such a large element of a car (look at recent CES reports where the auto guys are getting more attention than the latest plasma or tablet) but the downside is these can be updated without changing the hardware which typically comes with the LCI.

My first F10, bought at launch allowed one to separately choose power train and suspension settings in iDrive, but as I hadn't specced VDC this soon proved to be a meaningless option. The next one had this option deleted from the menu but now I was able to use a 64 Gb USB and get music and album art. Next came the F30 and suddenly the same USB didn't work. The dealer couldn't figure, neither could the national product manager for BMW who sent me lots of gobbledygook but no solution. The test drive F30 came with reversing camera which I was assured was standard, my car arrived without it as production had changed!

The latest F10 now reads my USb and album art, but the voice control is no longer standard (steering wheel has the button but it's not functional) as it was on the first two I had. (The latest was a dealer demo so I took it as seen)...which brings me to the issue of the lousy quality of the standard stero system (lower spec here in Ireland and UK compared to the base system in the US).

There are other examples of inconsistencies in the product forums - just look at debates on these forums about what different Nav versions can and cannot do - and I honestly don't blame dealers as from my experience the people in BMW locally don't seem to be able to keep up with constantly changing options either.

But hey, this is my ninth BMW and there is really nothing else at this price point to tempt me...but must take a look at Skoda, they're really coming along!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
Does your car happen to be white?
It is, does that make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #14
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
It is, does that make a difference?
I personally don't have an issue with my white car, but many others have complained about not being able to see anything in their reverse cam at night. Basically what happens is the plate lights are too bright, and reflect too much light off the bumper into the camera. This causes the contrast/brightness to be thrown out of whack and only allow you to see black. Again, I think this varies from unit to unit as mine is fine.

Link for your reading pleasure: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1071294
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

I don't really have many complaints on my F11 as such.

1. the passenger seat bolster rubs against the center console sometimes when empty (comfort seats/multi contour seats) solved by inflating the seat bolsters or make minor adjustments to the seatback.

2. when stopping the car. The steering column will lift the steering wheel and retract it, but it will not lower and pull the seat back to give more room to exit the car. I know older BMW's did this.

3. in sports mode why on earth do I have to drive around at 2500rpm? its a Diesel for Christ sake.

4. unable to activate voice control (5/12 build date)

5. reversing camera at night as mentioned above (white car), have adjusted brightness and contrast so it kind of works OK now.

6. Front facing camera would be nice to have sometimes.

7. slight wind noise on the drivers door, may just be a matter of adjustment, but I have soft close. Going in for a service soon so will have them look at it then.

8. the cupholders look cheap and nasty + location.

9. the split style opening of the center console compartment.

Options I miss and wish I had.
1. universal garage door opener

2. keyless entry and handsfree tailgate.

3. Adaptive headlamps

4. surround view

5. side cameras in the front fenders.

First world problems eh
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #16
f10inSD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Cupholders! Cupholders! Cupholders! Did I say Cupholders?
Cupholders?

Who allows people to actually drink something their car?!

Haha.. only kidding. Kinda.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #17
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f10inSD View Post
Cupholders?

Who allows people to actually drink something their car?!

Haha.. only kidding. Kinda.
"What do you mean you're dehydrated after your practice kids... C'mon now, you know the rules, you can only drink (and eat) in your mother's car."
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #18
Ace333
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535XI

Garage List
2008 528XI  [0.00]
I just traded in my 2008 528XI and upgraded to 2012 535XI before Christmas. I loved my '08 but decided time to upgrade. Couple grips I have which people mention above

- Steering wheel thin in comparison to my '08 and to upgrade is $$$
- not seatbelt height adjustment
- doesn't seem to have ability to use split screen for satellite radio and navigation but display the artist/ song. Just displays channels and map. Why cant it flip to show the artist/ song and map.

Minor items, overall love the car and have always loved BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace333 View Post
I just traded in my 2008 528XI and upgraded to 2012 535XI before Christmas. I loved my '08 but decided time to upgrade. Couple grips I have which people mention above

- Steering wheel thin in comparison to my '08 and to upgrade is $$$
- not seatbelt height adjustment
- doesn't seem to have ability to use split screen for satellite radio and navigation but display the artist/ song. Just displays channels and map. Why cant it flip to show the artist/ song and map.

Minor items, overall love the car and have always loved BMW.
I have mine set up with split screen.
usually have the map on the left and media on the right showing artist/song from radio, CD and Iphone.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Most annoying thing I find in this car is the updates! So damn slow even with usb drives.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #21
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 lci luxury line

my vote is 2 thing

1. why must i turn on auto wipers every time, mercedes just it to auto on day one and never touch it again
2. the pathway light or whatever its called when you leave and lock the car, why do i have to push the high beam stalk to enable them, merceds lock the car and its one for whatever the setting is set to. I always forget to do it then end up digging for the remote in my pocket so i can see where i'm going
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #22
dblock2151
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Msport DG

The wipers on my car are very slow. Almost unsafe when it's down pouring. The fastest speed on the F10 is comparable to the step below the quickest speed on most cars.

I literally don't drive the car in hard rain, and have to slow down to un-reasonable speeds (imo) when it's raining because the wipers are not quick enough.
Appreciate 0