2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Questions about TMPS ?

07-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Questions about TMPS ?

I need some TPMS help,
Im getting new wheels this week, I want to keep my OEM ones in storage and not remove the oem TMPS from them. So i'll be getting new additional ones.
Do they need special programming or how does it work so they function properly with the car ? Like how does the car know which corner to read/show ?
Are they plug and play ?

I found this ones here;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPMS-Tire-Pr...8dcccc&vxp=mtr

are those ok for my aftermarket wheels ?
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
kohsin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550Reasons View Post
I need some TPMS help,
Im getting new wheels this week, I want to keep my OEM ones in storage and not remove the oem TMPS from them. So i'll be getting new additional ones.
Do they need special programming or how does it work so they function properly with the car ? Like how does the car know which corner to read/show ?
Are they plug and play ?

I found this ones here;

You may want to confirm with the seller regarding the build month and year of your 2011 F10. The BMW TPMS is different before 09/2010 built and after.
Appreciate 1
The_M6248.00
      08-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Aftermarket vs. OE TPMS sensors

I am assuming your car has BMW OE direct TPMS sensors, meaning separate air pressure sensors in each wheel, but you need to confirm that.

BMW and aftermarket direct TPMS sensors alike are battery powered, and the battery is not rechargeable or replaceable. Once the battery dies, the sensor must be replaced.

To extend sensor life, BMW's OE sensors don't broadcast unless the wheels are turning -- which also means the wheels can be stored for long periods without discharging.

Aftermarket sensors typically broadcast continually, and they broadcast a lot more data than the OE ones (which makes them mountable on a variety of vehicles). The downside is continuous battery drain whether or not the wheels are in use or even on the car, which means shorter sensor life.

If your car has BMW's older indirect TPMS system (in which tire pressure is calculated from info provided by the ABS system instead of directly measured), no problem. You won't find or need any sensors in the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
BMW's OE sensors don't broadcast unless the wheels are turning -- which also means the wheels can be stored for long periods without discharging
How accurate is this? I'm having issue where my 4th set of wheels don't register until I start driving. I get the tpm malfunction message and then goes away after a few minutes of driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
BMW's OE sensors don't broadcast unless the wheels are turning -- which also means the wheels can be stored for long periods without discharging
How accurate is this? I'm having issue where my 4th set of wheels don't register until I start driving. I get the tpm malfunction message and then goes away after a few minutes of driving.
I am not sure about not broadcasting signal, but I know for sure that it is not using any battery power until it is pressurized inside the wheel and tire.
Once pressurized, the battery average life is 4-5 years. If your car is about that age, then most likely it would be time to replace all 4.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
I don't think the malfunction and the fact that the sensors don't transmit until rolling are related - otherwise it would show up in all F10's.

When new wheels are first installed, the tpms module in the car has to figure out which signals correspond to which corners - it needs to recognize the car's own sensors and their locations, and must ignore the signals from other vehicles (which is why the idrive reset function requires that the car be driven,). For some models, the wheel installer has to input codes supplied with each monitor into the idrive for the system to function properly. Improper initial set-up is a possible source of your malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
samcb219
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 520d M Sport Touring

TPMS failure - need help

I just got new winter tires put on the rear of my F11. Went through the standard procedure to reset the TPMS. After it attempts to recalibrate while driving a few miles it comes up as failure. I've tried resetting it a few times now and it still isn't working.

Any help? Hoping I don't have to go to the dealer to get this sorted.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

When I got my custom wheels done I requested to have TPMS so not sure which one's I got but no problems when connecting them to the BMW.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

my car got coded and updated the dme of the computer , and now i cant shutoff the tpms reset lights at all...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOOSTU View Post
my car got coded and updated the dme of the computer , and now i cant shutoff the tpms reset lights at all...
OEM ones ?

double check the pressure on all tires just to be sure
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
I need some TPMS help,
Are they plug and play ?

I found this ones here;

When I put my forgstars on I thought the same as you, I'll store my stocks as is and get NEW tpm sensors for the new wheels. Well the tpm sensors a got are OEM brand "Beru" and they won't learn in the car I did the reset many times and took it to the dealer and they confirmed they were the correct ones and they couldn't get them to work either. I had the people who sold me the sensors send me another set and after the install they still didn't work! (Dealer tested both sets) I would suggest using your stock sensors or get the new ones from the dealer so if you have any problems it's on them not you. Also the stock sensors are good for atleast 10-12 years not 4-5 like the non OE ones, my girls 05 e60 stock tpms are still going after 11 years. I'm going to put the stock sensors in my new wheels and not mess with it anymore, this is what the dealer suggested I do.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 01-04-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 12:26 AM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Guess I'm lucky as my TPMS on my custom wheels worked just fine!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
When I put my forgstars on I thought the same as you, I'll store my stocks as is and get NEW tpm sensors for the new wheels. Well the tpm sensors a got are OEM brand "Beru" and they won't learn in the car I did the reset many times and took it to the dealer and they confirmed they were the correct ones and they couldn't get them to work either. I had the people who sold me the sensors send me another set and after the install they still didn't work! (Dealer tested both sets) I would suggest using your stock sensors or get the new ones from the dealer so if you have any problems it's on them not you. Also the stock sensors are good for atleast 10-12 years not 4-5 like the non OE ones, my girls 05 e60 stock tpms are still going after 11 years. I'm going to put the stock sensors in my new wheels and not mess with it anymore, this is what the dealer suggested I do.
I got aftermarket ones and they took a bit to take to the car, they kept giving me issues, it would learn stay and then say malfunction, finally after a couple weeks of every other day resetting them the car took to them, and they do work pretty good and havent had a problem lately.

However because they arent OEM and my car was coded, the aftermarket ones wont read the PSI and Temperature like my OEM ones. Also I had a low psi tire this week and it wouldnt tell me which one but it did warn me, so i guess good enough.

Long story short, OEMs are the best way to go specially if your car is coded.
2016 550i

Last edited by 550Reasons; 01-05-2016 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcb219
I just got new winter tires put on the rear of my F11. Went through the standard procedure to reset the TPMS. After it attempts to recalibrate while driving a few miles it comes up as failure. I've tried resetting it a few times now and it still isn't working.

Any help? Hoping I don't have to go to the dealer to get this sorted.

Thanks
Looks like you got a dead TPMS or a wrong one for your F11.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth
Quote:
I need some TPMS help,
Are they plug and play ?

I found this ones here;

'05 E60 doesn't use TPMS for the pressure reading. It is using ABS speed sensor to detect a low pressure on the tires.
I had '06 E60 before too, and the TPM system has a lot of misses. It tells me low pressure when it is not. Got me worried at the first few times, so I pulled over to check the tires and nothing was wrong.

Oh, and all of this newer TPMS, it require some time of driving before it fully registered. Brand New BMW or Beru / Huf are the same. BMW bought from Beru / Huf for their TPMS. Same as their DME is made by Bosch.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550Reasons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
I got aftermarket ones and they took a bit to take to the car, they kept giving me issues, it would learn stay and then say malfunction, finally after a couple weeks of every other day resetting them the car took to them, and they do work pretty good and havent had a problem lately.

However because they arent OEM and my car was coded, the aftermarket ones wont read the PSI and Temperature like my OEM ones. Also I had a low psi tire this week and it wouldnt tell me which one but it did warn me, so i guess good enough.

Long story short, OEMs are the best way to go specially if your car is coded.
Did you get the chinese brand or the Beru / Huf brand of TPMS?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
'05 E60 doesn't use TPMS for the pressure reading. It is using ABS speed sensor to detect a low pressure on the tires.
I had '06 E60 before too, and the TPM system has a lot of misses. It tells me low pressure when it is not. Got me worried at the first few times, so I pulled over to check the tires and nothing was wrong.

Oh, and all of this newer TPMS, it require some time of driving before it fully registered. Brand New BMW or Beru / Huf are the same. BMW bought from Beru / Huf for their TPMS. Same as their DME is made by Bosch.
My Beru sensors have been in my forgestars for like 10 months and they won't learn in no matter how long Ive driven the car. I'm just going to switch over to the stock sensors, I've been putting it off since I have to subject my wheels to the nitwit tire monkeys at the tire shops and hope they don't scratch them. As far as the e60 I didn't know her car didn't have tpms, it looks bmw started the sensors in 2006.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth
Quote:

My Beru sensors have been in my forgestars for like 10 months and they won't learn in no matter how long Ive driven the car. I'm just going to switch over to the stock sensors, I've been putting it off since I have to subject my wheels to the nitwit tire monkeys at the tire shops and hope they don't scratch them. As far as the e60 I didn't know her car didn't have tpms, it looks bmw started the sensors in 2006.
Hmm, could be you got a wrong one.
On the E60, if you have rubber valve stem, then it is the ABS system. If it aluminum valve stem, most likely is TPMS. But some installed the aluminum stem without the sensors too.
The only way to find out is to run the VIN.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #19
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, could be you got a wrong one.
On the E60, if you have rubber valve stem, then it is the ABS system. If it aluminum valve stem, most likely is TPMS. But some installed the aluminum stem without the sensors too.
The only way to find out is to run the VIN.
Dealer verified I got correct sensors. I'm just swapping in the stock ones and while thier out I will get the part numbers for next time and to compare to the ones that aren't working.
Appreciate 0